BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #23
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco3000 View Post
Did you ever get this resolved? I just scratched one of my 666 Black Wheels while looking for that coveted end spot

Diamond cut??? why does BMW do this? make a wheel that is so difficult to get repair at a regular wheel shop?

Seems like refinishing could work or get a new one from getbmwparts.com for $1K. Anyhow, we'll see which way I go. I will get it fixed if its under $300, if not, I will just pull the trigger on a new one.
They do it because the wheel companies that win these contracts have the technology to do it on a massive scale. Almost every car manufacturer has diamond cut wheels now.

etc etc
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #24
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Unfortunately it didn't end well. I don't have enough time in my life to fight mini pointless wars with dealers and shops so I had to just suck it up and get it refurbished at what was a very reputable repair shop in the UK. And the wheel came out the other side a completely different colour, the edges of the spokes are all rounded off, and this was despite the shop hearing me complain for weeks about colour matching concerns and them saying it'll be spot on. So now I've got a slightly off colour rim and I just look past it. The shop even told me they receive the lacquer and paint from BMW but they obviously dont have the right one. So yea, it didn't end well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Peasants!!!!!
      08-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

I don't believe they are diamond cut

There is no visual perfectly etched circular pattern in the finish

These look like forged wheels which are then polished and clear coated, hence the random swirl/scratch pattern in the finish under light
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #27
CrossyN
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
I don't believe they are diamond cut

There is no visual perfectly etched circular pattern in the finish

These look like forged wheels which are then polished and clear coated, hence the random swirl/scratch pattern in the finish under light
That's literally exactly what I said to both BMW and the repair shop. This all started when the first repair guy turned up to BMW to repair it, then didn't do the job because he said he can't do it because they're diamond cut. I was convinced they weren't but what do I know, they know best.

And then they go and use the wrong paint colour.

I've given up giving a cr*p now.
Appreciate 0