Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question about aftermarket warranty

This might seem like a ridiculous question, but I have been looking at e60 M5's and a lot of people seem to say they are maintenance headaches. Why don't people just pay for an aftermarket warranty for xx per month so that what the car inevitably goes kaboom it is covered?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Problem is finding an aftermarket warranty that will actually pay out instead of find ways to not pay & screw you
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Perhaps because people buying used cars (rather than new so that they don't pay for the massive depreciation) are smart, and recognize the fact that *ALL* aftermarket (even BMW) warranties are going to cost more than they will get in return (on average.)

Warranties are almost always a profit for the seller. Why do you think the dealers are selling them?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Perhaps because people buying used cars (rather than new so that they don't pay for the massive depreciation) are smart, and recognize the fact that *ALL* aftermarket (even BMW) warranties are going to cost more than they will get in return (on average.)

Warranties are almost always a profit for the seller. Why do you think the dealers are selling them?
I get that they are a profit generator in the sense that the majority of people will never actually have a problem so they are just collecting funds, but for notoriously unreliable vehicles that have taken massive depreciation hits, because of maintenance costs is what my question is pertaining to. like an early 2000's Mercedes S65AMG for example.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
SuckaGDog
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5, C63 AMG Black Series

I’ve personally owned an E60 M5 covered by Fidelity’s extended service contract (warranty). Also my father’s W220 S65 AMG has had two policies from them. Both vehicles mentioned in your post above.

On the M5 they’ve covered over $25k in repairs. Most recently they covered the new SMG clutch and flywheel.

On the S65 AMG, they’ve covered easily $30k in repairs.

Downside to this peace of mind is the upfront cost of a reputable service contract company (third party warranties). Most E60 M5s are approaching 10 years old or higher and that increases policy costs tremendously not including vehicle mileage. Example, I renewed my 06’ M5’s policy May 16’ for $7300 for a 3yr/36k term. Current mileage at the time was 51k. Not everyone can swing a purchase price like that. It paid for itself within a year and half. Same story on the S65 Merc, but much more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
tomtom11
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
I've personally owned an E60 M5 covered by Fidelity's extended service contract (warranty). Also my father's W220 S65 AMG has had two policies from them. Both vehicles mentioned in your post above.

On the M5 they've covered over $25k in repairs. Most recently they covered the new SMG clutch and flywheel.

On the S65 AMG, they've covered easily $30k in repairs.

Downside to this peace of mind is the upfront cost of a reputable service contract company (third party warranties). Most E60 M5s are approaching 10 years old or higher and that increases policy costs tremendously not including vehicle mileage. Example, I renewed my 06' M5's policy May 16' for $7300 for a 3yr/36k term. Current mileage at the time was 51k. Not everyone can swing a purchase price like that. It paid for itself within a year and half. Same story on the S65 Merc, but much more money.
Exactly what I wanted to know, thank you!
Appreciate 0