R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-15-2018, 05:23 AM   #1035
F80DK
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp. Maledives Blue

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Glad to inform I recently picked a new M3 2018 Competition. The new for 2018 blackened 666 wheels looks fantastic. Had a E30 215 HP back in the early nineties - and this Competition takes me back to that period, which I longed for! Is it worth the extra money? Time will tell - I am sure in the future people will go for the Competition version, if kept original. Oops - mine is lowered with KW springs that match the original shocks and a set of spacers from SSG (10 mm at each wheels, original parts stowed). Car looks f a n t a s t i c now, especially due to the Individual color Maledives Blue II metallic (very light blue in the sun, darker when not directly exposed)combined with the M Performance exterior carbon parts like frontsplitter/spoiler, rear diffusor and rear spoiler. No M Performance exhaust here, original Competition exhaust is a treat! Just got back from a 4,000 mile trip: Denmark, Nürburgring, Luxembourg, Carcassonne, Andorra, The Pyrenees to San Sebastion along the Atlantic coast to Biarritz, France and back to Denmark via Paris - and still longing for more. These cars are that great! Next M3 as hybrid?? Get your M3/M4 now!
Cheers from Denmark
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:46 AM   #1036
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotechnology View Post
This is really the 1st thread I've read where someone is saying the stock comp sport exhaust sounds better than one equipped with the MPE. Any others feel that way? Only talking ZCP cars here.
Sound is subjective. A lot of people here seem to like the loud popcorn, gun shot sounding noises this car makes. I personally HATE it. Its the biggest downfall for this car.

My neighbor has a F80 with the MPE exhaust and I despise it. It takes all the bad noises this car makes and enhances it 100x so to me the stock ZCP exhaust sounds better than the MPE. ZCP is deeper tone and it hides the high pitch rattle can sound a little. It also doesn't help my neighbor can't drive stick for beans and he feels the need to blip the gas pedal every time he moves half an inch.

Alan
      08-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #1037
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I love everything about the ZCP except the wheels. Maybe I'm in the minority but I TRIED to love the 666 wheels for 4 months. Finally couldn't take the look/PITA cleaning any longer. Put on some less "busy" forged wheels and am loving life again (and the concave look the car needs). And, removing the boat anchors from all 4 corners has lightened the feel of the car - hard to describe but it was a noticeable difference. I do miss the adjustable lumbar from time to time but considering its not a DD and I don't plan on taking long road trips in it, I can overcome that objection.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      08-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #1038
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
I love everything about the ZCP except the wheels. Maybe I'm in the minority but I TRIED to love the 666 wheels for 4 months. Finally couldn't take the look/PITA cleaning any longer. Put on some less "busy" forged wheels and am loving life again (and the concave look the car needs). And, removing the boat anchors from all 4 corners has lightened the feel of the car - hard to describe but it was a noticeable difference. I do miss the adjustable lumbar from time to time but considering its not a DD and I don't plan on taking long road trips in it, I can overcome that objection.
I actually don't like the silver 666s that much but the dark ones are KILLER. Plus, they don't really get dirty so cleaning is a non-issue (tinted face plus black low lights = hides brakes dust like a champ). The darkness also really calms down their business.

I'm beside myself with how good the dark 666s look in the real world and how much they change the look of the car. It's hard for me to imagine how anyone could not like them but do understand that wheels are very subjective.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #1039
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Totally agree - If BMW had not made the 19s an option with the ZCP, I would not be driving a ZCP M3....

To me - they look like someone put wheels that are just too big for the car - I realize it is personal preference, but/and I'm surprised by how many people like them. And yes, they look better in person, but not much IMHO!
Appreciate 3
SherM4n630.00
ctdw124.00
seis-speed2430.50
      08-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #1040
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80DK View Post
Glad to inform I recently picked a new M3 2018 Competition. The new for 2018 blackened 666 wheels looks fantastic. Had a E30 215 HP back in the early nineties - and this Competition takes me back to that period, which I longed for! Is it worth the extra money? Time will tell - I am sure in the future people will go for the Competition version, if kept original. Oops - mine is lowered with KW springs that match the original shocks and a set of spacers from SSG (10 mm at each wheels, original parts stowed). Car looks f a n t a s t i c now, especially due to the Individual color Maledives Blue II metallic (very light blue in the sun, darker when not directly exposed)combined with the M Performance exterior carbon parts like frontsplitter/spoiler, rear diffusor and rear spoiler. No M Performance exhaust here, original Competition exhaust is a treat! Just got back from a 4,000 mile trip: Denmark, Nürburgring, Luxembourg, Carcassonne, Andorra, The Pyrenees to San Sebastion along the Atlantic coast to Biarritz, France and back to Denmark via Paris - and still longing for more. These cars are that great! Next M3 as hybrid?? Get your M3/M4 now!
Cheers from Denmark
Need pics of said Maledives Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #1041
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Quote:
I actually don't like the silver 666s that much but the dark ones are KILLER. Plus, they don't really get dirty so cleaning is a non-issue (tinted face plus black low lights = hides brakes dust like a champ). The darkness also really calms down their business.

I'm beside myself with how good the dark 666s look in the real world and how much they change the look of the car. It's hard for me to imagine how anyone could not like them but do understand that wheels are very subjective.
I had mine coated with G Techniq serum, so the brake dust should just wash off.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2227.50
      08-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #1042
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I had mine coated with G Techniq serum, so the brake dust should just wash off.
+1. I'm having mine coated as I type this. They are indeed a pain in the ass to clean.
Appreciate 1
jc05e46m3845.50
      08-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #1043
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
It also doesn't help my neighbor can't drive stick for beans and he feels the need to blip the gas pedal every time he moves half an inch.
To be fair to your neighbor, I've never owned an automatic car and racked up over a hundred track days from 2006-2015, yet I do this as well because it makes me giggle inside.
      08-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #1044
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I have had the 2018 M4 with ZCP for 3 weeks and 400 miles now. So far so good. I like the way it drives and have no issue with the ride quality. I honestly don't notice that much of a difference from my 2015 without ZCP. The improvements are subtle but noticeable.
Hey Hey Captain!! Chop here, Congratulations on the new ride. Glad those 19's agree with you, "almost" regretful of not going 20 since the ride is so compliant. ZCP pretty sweet too...Anyways, have a great Summer & nice to see you on the boards, take care.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #1045
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80DK View Post
Cheers from Denmark
All these fantastic specs and no pictures?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #1046
ctdw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C (F90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Totally agree - If BMW had not made the 19s an option with the ZCP, I would not be driving a ZCP M3....

To me - they look like someone put wheels that are just too big for the car - I realize it is personal preference, but/and I'm surprised by how many people like them. And yes, they look better in person, but not much IMHO!
Same here, looked hard to find one with 19's in black...did not want the 666M's.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #1047
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Wheels are literally the easiest (albeit not cheapest) thing to change on a car.
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      08-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #1048
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

I didn't like the 666Ms from the photos but damn I fell in love with them when I saw them in person. I drove both and ZCP is well worth it. Just like many people say--this car should have came as ZCP rather then in the beginning without it. Either way, I love this damn car and I hate being at work because all I do is think about driving my damn car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #1049
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #1050
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Wheels are literally the easiest (albeit not cheapest) thing to change on a car.
Also, with any type of wax coating and a regular cleaning schedule, they can be kept clean quite easily with just a quick spray and brush. I get to mine with a power washer twice a month with little agitation and they look really good.
      08-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #1051
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Hey Hey Captain!! Chop here, Congratulations on the new ride. Glad those 19's agree with you, "almost" regretful of not going 20 since the ride is so compliant. ZCP pretty sweet too...Anyways, have a great Summer & nice to see you on the boards, take care.
Hey Chop!!

Haven't heard from you in a while. I was very pleasantly surprised by the ride quality of my ZCP M4 and I am not a fan or 20" rims for a variety of reasons and am very happy with both the looks and the performance of the 19s.

Although to be fair last Saturday I rode from NYC to Lime Rock on the road I always take with a friend who was driving a ZCP M3 with the 20" 666 rims and did not find the ride of his car (as a passenger) to be overly harsh.

But I'm still glad I got the 19s.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:16 PM   #1052
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hey Chop!!

Haven't heard from you in a while. I was very pleasantly surprised by the ride quality of my ZCP M4 and I am not a fan or 20" rims for a variety of reasons and am very happy with both the looks and the performance of the 19s.

Although to be fair last Saturday I rode from NYC to Lime Rock on the road I always take with a friend who was driving a ZCP M3 with the 20" 666 rims and did not find the ride of his car (as a passenger) to be overly harsh.

In my e92 M3 I would the 20" to be a little "rough". I'm still specing out a new M4, appearance of the 19" (Style 437M Black) vs. 20" 666 Black is more appealing. The 19"s are RFT, correct?

Any other opinions on sticking with the 19 vs 20?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #1053
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewted View Post
Quote:
Hey Chop!!

In my e92 M3 I would the 20" to be a little "rough". I'm still specing out a new M4, appearance of the 19" (Style 437M Black) vs. 20" 666 Black is more appealing. The 19"s are RFT, correct?

Any other opinions on sticking with the 19 vs 20?
None of the tires are RFTs
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #1054
Rewted
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
None of the tires are RFTs
Ah okay. The online build tool gave me the impression 19 (Style 437M) were RFT because all other options explicitly stated "non-RFT". My bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #1055
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

There's no question the 19" setup will ride smoother over sharp edges and rough surfaces - the 20" setup is very, very taught and a bit noisy in the cabin.

That said, I am very sensitive to overall harsh rides and I'm actually finding the ZCP/20" setup to be very good in general. It's tight, firm, crisp and not harsh 95% of the time. Over a very rough road this car just flat sucks, period, so there's that, and the 20's only make it that much worse. So, if you have bad roads the 20s won't be good and the 19s won't be much better meaning you really should go for the 18s.

Point is: from someone who's got a very low harshness tolerance, I'm glad I stuck with the 20s (dark tinted) because they really, really, reeeeeeeaaaaaally set the car apart.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 05:38 PM   #1056
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
There's no question the 19" setup will ride smoother over sharp edges and rough surfaces - the 20" setup is very, very taught and a bit noisy in the cabin.

That said, I am very sensitive to overall harsh rides and I'm actually finding the ZCP/20" setup to be very good in general. It's tight, firm, crisp and not harsh 95% of the time. Over a very rough road this car just flat sucks, period, so there's that, and the 20's only make it that much worse. So, if you have bad roads the 20s won't be good and the 19s won't be much better meaning you really should go for the 18s.

Point is: from someone who's got a very low harshness tolerance, I'm glad I stuck with the 20s (dark tinted) because they really, really, reeeeeeeaaaaaally set the car apart.
So true. My ZCP has the 20s my wife's has the 19s. When we are going out on a date night and want to be a bit more comfortable we take hers.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0