Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

Closed Thread

07-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #45
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Here's another option. Get it fixed as best possible and then just cover it with PPF. The PPF's slightly imperfect clarity will probably smooth out the repair.
Appreciate 2
OF Hero1133.00
ando2000.50
      07-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #46
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Also, put that dealer on blast so no one on here will have to deal with the same BS.
Sh*t happens, and I'm not sure I'd fault the dealer too much here.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but had the OP picked up the car a day or two later the issue would have likely been noticed and resolved during the normal pre-delivery inspection without anyone being the wiser. Repairs like this happen all the time at the port and/or dealer.
      07-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #47
jcbertin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Reminds me of the damage i noticed after delivery.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=jcbertin

Fortunately my SA, the GM, etc were very stand up with me and we came to an agreement on the solution...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #48
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbertin View Post
Reminds me of the damage i noticed after delivery.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=jcbertin

Fortunately my SA, the GM, etc were very stand up with me and we came to an agreement on the solution...
I remember your unnecessary repair its a PDR fixable repair and nothing compared to OP's damage
      07-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #49
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
+1 may be the detailer can do their magic and fix it 90% and you can live with it , no reason to get it repainted unless u absolutely have to.
+1 Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #50
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Wet sanding already took away a significant amount of the clear coat off. they then hit it with a rotary buffer and took even more off. Im sure a dealership doesnt even know what a paint meter is let alone looks like.

I wouldnt beat around the bush, call BMW NA about it and also send an email with the GM and SA CC'd . If they couldn't give you a definitive reason why your coupon was denied then they probably just didnt want to deal with the paperwork involved in getting reimbursed from BMW. Also means your just SOL since the deal is finalized.

Your dealer sucks, post them on here so others can stay clear. Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE to not let your dealer touch cars, pre-delivery or during service. Don't even let them take the protective film off!

To the OP: where in NY are you? close enough to Norwood NJ? Go see Phil at Detailers Domain, he could give you an accurate assessment of the damage and if its fixable with their techniques. If your not close enough talk to local detailers, when you talk to them ask if they have a paint meter, if they dont then move on.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 1
Spiff7115.00
      07-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #51
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Habberstad?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:10 PM   #52
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Wet sanding already took away a significant amount of the clear coat off. they then hit it with a rotary buffer and took even more off. Im sure a dealership doesnt even know what a paint meter is let alone looks like.

I wouldnt beat around the bush, call BMW NA about it and also send an email with the GM and SA CC'd . If they couldn't give you a definitive reason why your coupon was denied then they probably just didnt want to deal with the paperwork involved in getting reimbursed from BMW. Also means your just SOL since the deal is finalized.

Your dealer sucks, post them on here so others can stay clear. Let this be a lesson to EVERYONE to not let your dealer touch cars, pre-delivery or during service. Don't even let them take the protective film off!

To the OP: where in NY are you? close enough to Norwood NJ? Go see Phil at Detailers Domain, he could give you an accurate assessment of the damage and if its fixable with their techniques. If your not close enough talk to local detailers, when you talk to them ask if they have a paint meter, if they dont then move on.
Looks like it about 30 mins from me. Worth a visit. Thanks for the recommendation.
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #53
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post

Looks like it about 30 mins from me. Worth a visit. Thanks for the recommendation.
Phil is an absolute artist and his shop is to die for. One of the best, if not THE best in the industry!

You could watch for days all of his videos, and plenty of his threads detailing plenty of corrections across the internet! DetailersDomain

Best of luck! Beautiful car BTW. Love the tanzanite blue and IMO one of the only colors that properly suit the 666m rims! Let us know the outcome of your ordeal

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 1
Spiff7115.00
      07-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #54
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
First off I just want to thank all of you for your support and advice. It is really appreciated!

I knew sharing the experience here I would get the feedback and empathy from car enthusiasts like myself that I was looking for. I obviously have shared my pain with my wife and other family members, and of course they feel bad, but unless you have a passion for cars like we do, I don't think they truly understand or get it.

I'm trying to take in all of your comments to figure out my next steps. Of course, with work and two young children at home, it's not always the easiest to find time to deal with something like this as quickly as I would like but I will make the time.

For those of you wondering why I accepted delivery, it was a very tough position for me to be in personally. I think we all handle things differently. Like I mentioned in my OP, acquiring this car was a long thing in the making for me personally over many years, and then waiting the 4 months after I placed the order to build the car to my liking felt like an eternity. In my head at that particular moment I still really wanted the car, I knew there were no more allocations left for me to build another one (plus I would have a very difficult time waiting another several months to get it), and felt if I did not take it they would probably cover up the issue and easily sell it to someone else. Then I would be back at square one trying to find a dealer who might have the exact build I wanted or something close enough that I would be willing to accept. Then I would have to start negotiations all over. Plus I was locked in with the April rates with the higher residuals and lower MF. I felt like I was in a tough position.

I did ask to be compensated and to have money taken off the price of the car but they would not budge and said it will be corrected/fixed to look like new. It's this piece about not adjusting the price or accepting my coupon, which I still don't understand why it was rejected, that I am considering calling BMW NA for their input. I also think the GM should have made it a point to come out to me personally. Perhaps, my fault for not requesting to speak with him directly.

Lessons learned all around for me. As another member posted, I recommend to all of you getting a new car that you consider having them leave as much of the protection on for you and to skip the car wash.

I will keep you all posted on what steps I take and the end result.

In the meantime, I'm going to try my best not to let this issue take away from what 30 miles of driving so far feels like an amazing piece of machinery! So happy to be part of the M Family...finally!
Agree with you and on the contrary thats not enough damage not to take delivery as its fixable like new, its not that the car was in accident. Some people just over react
      07-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #55
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I did ask to be compensated and to have money taken off the price of the car but they would not budge and said it will be corrected/fixed to look like new. It's this piece about not adjusting the price or accepting my coupon, which I still don't understand why it was rejected, that I am considering calling BMW NA for their input. I also think the GM should have made it a point to come out to me personally. Perhaps, my fault for not requesting to speak with him directly.

Lessons learned all around for me. As another member posted, I recommend to all of you getting a new car that you consider having them leave as much of the protection on for you and to skip the car wash.

I will keep you all posted on what steps I take and the end result.
Yes, please keep us posted. Again though and for those saying you should have gotten compensation....the dealer is under no obligation to discount the price of the car because of a scratch. They offered to fix the issue and said it would be like new. This isn’t something that BMW NA would really shake their head at either as the dealer clearly is offering to resolve this for you. So let them resolve it. It doesn’t hurt to ask for more but can’t really blame the dealer either for saying no since they already said they would fix it.

I can understand being upset the GM did not come out personally to attend to you, but for all we know he could have had more pressing matters at hand. We really don’t know the circumstances. I wouldn’t think he would just blow off a valued customer just because he had nothing else better to do, or perhaps he wasn’t even aware of the issue at the time.

I have bought many new BMW’s from several dealerships and have never felt I needed to be so overly cautious to leave the factory wrapping on the car or to tell them not to wash/detail the car. Then again I’m sorry this happened but for the vast majority of owners it isn’t something that’s typically a common occurrence despite the occasional new car delivery horror story we read about on the forums.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 07-31-2018 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50
      07-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #56
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bch53211 View Post
This - minimum additional 1 k off and fixed to your satisfaction. A little late now but I would have told them I’m walking from deal and going to another dealership. I’m sure it will be repaired so that no one can notice but that is not the point. You bought a new car which obviously means no scratches of any kind. They need to compensate you beyond just fixing. I’m sure someone else will say this is an overreaction, that this mentality is what’s wrong with society, or that it’s not worth getting worked up over... very easy to say when it’s someone else’s car. I’d be pissed as hell and you have every right to demand this major inconvenience requires equitable compensation. Sorry to hear, good luck.
If I was the sales manager/GM I’d probably let you walk, if you came in demanding minimum 1k off, threatening to walk away from the car, etc. Not like it will be hard to sell a gorgeous individual color M3 at the end of its production cycle where allocations are limited.

They are under no obligation to further financially compensate you. They already offered to fix and resolve the issue. Why not see how that turns out before you make a fuss? New cars can have imperfections despite being new. This can happen at the port, in transit, during dealer PDI processes, etc.

I’ll agree it’s upsetting when something like this happens.... but also you need to be a bit realistic with your expectations.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 07-31-2018 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #57
MrBeard420
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 F82

I wouldn’t have take. Possession of that car..hope it works or worked out for you plus some extras that are worth it for the inconvenience
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:27 PM   #58
Rollrate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

My wife, love of my life, kissed a curb in our 6 week old TB F80 and tore a silver dollar size skuff through the paint and into the plastic in the front air dam. I was pissed for a few weeks.

But I love the car anyway because driving it is just indescribably fantastic.

Shit happens. More will prabably happen later. Get it fixed and move on. Enjoy the drive. In a year from now or less it will be all good.
Appreciate 1
Spiff7115.00
      08-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #59
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Hit up Jeremy at unlimited detail. He took out a scratch and a ding on my old S5 after some idiot opened the door into it, but more than likely, as others have said and you’ve pointed out. If you can feel it with your nail, the most they can do is make it less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:56 AM   #60
Evren
Second Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Coupe

Its sad story. But nothing to do actually if you dont wait for more 4 months. Have fun with your new car. But maybe you can ask for some carbon parts or M parts (like m performance led steering wheel) from your dealer as a gift.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #61
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
If I was the sales manager/GM I’d probably let you walk, if you came in demanding minimum 1k off, threatening to walk away from the car, etc. Not like it will be hard to sell a gorgeous individual color M3 at the end of its production cycle where allocations are limited.

They are under no obligation to further financially compensate you. They already offered to fix and resolve the issue. Why not see how that turns out before you make a fuss? New cars can have imperfections despite being new. This can happen at the port, in transit, during dealer PDI processes, etc.

I’ll agree it’s upsetting when something like this happens.... but also you need to be a bit realistic with your expectations.
This +10000

Every time a thread like this pops up everyone seems to think demanding the moon and stars is reasonable. Those saying he should have refused delivery...really? This is his custom ordered dream car and its just a scratch that they are offering to fix!

OP, just give the dealer a chance to fix it and see how it goes.
Appreciate 4
Spiff7115.00
RickFLM410968.00
boss2k1078.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      08-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #62
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

I feel your paint, but some things you just can't control. Keeping a non-static human interacting object in pristine shape is a losing battle. Keeping white sneaks white. Your brushed finish AP/Rolex scratch free. Your suit fabric from wearing at the joints. Sht happens to things that move with you.

It's all relative. When people post up things like this and they're super emotional about it (vomit?), it just tells me life is going pretty well.

It sucks, but this too shall pass until the next hot thing comes along and it's deja vu all over again.

Good luck.
      08-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #63
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

This can be fixed by a competent detailer... or even better the dealer offered to repaint it!

You win some you lose some. Chalk this up to a disappointment, get it fixed, and buy your next BMW from somewhere else. No sense in "making yourself sick" over it.
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #64
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
There is a case of a ZCP M3 in Australia just recently where there was a recall on the diff while in transit from Germany and the dealer was going to do the diff swap at their workshop. The buyer refused delivery and insisted that a new car be sent from Germany with the updated diff. The dealer complied and a new car was sent.

This doesn't sound too far fetched until you realise the car was a Silverstone with Sakhir Orange leather. It's not your everyday combination that wouldn't fly out the door too quickly, so the dealer's actions, to me, were very noble.

My point is that there are dealers who go well beyond expectations, and those who think a bit more practically. I doubt you could refuse the entire car for a scratch but certainly delay delivery until it is perfect for the owner to drive away.

As it turned out, they moved the original car within two weeks when a punter walked in and immediately fell in love with the colours (apparently the Porsche 917 was his favourite car growing up).
      08-01-2018, 05:18 PM   #65
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I have some scratches on the decklid of my new Imola F80. Not as bad as OP, but I'm not worried because my neighbor is the best detailer in the area, and I know he'll make it better than new. Good luck op.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #66
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
I have some scratches on the decklid of my new Imola F80. Not as bad as OP, but I'm not worried because my neighbor is the best detailer in the area, and I know he'll make it better than new. Good luck op.
Very true. A good detailing fixes a lot of issues. I drove my new M4 to my detailer a week after delivery and he said the paint was horrible (fine scratches, swirls), so even if there don't appear to be scratches from the dealer, the paint may still not be in the best condition.
Closed Thread