proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #705
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siciliano611 View Post
I have a 16' zcp from 2 months ago, do I have 59.0 likely?
You can easily check by exporting a profile via USB and looking for the code in the text via notepad/winword.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:33 PM   #706
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

<i-step>F020-16-07-502</i-step>
probably 59.x ?

2017 M4 - July 6, 2016 build
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #707
M4GTS
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
<i-step>F020-16-07-502</i-step>
probably 59.x ?

2017 M4 - July 6, 2016 build
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #708
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4GTS View Post
Thanks - Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #709
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Any follow up on the new software update, 59.x? Anyone else had a recent download and want to share their thoughts, performance-wise, as compared to the previous gen sw? I'm close to going in and not sure if I want it?
      09-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #710
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Several hundred miles on mine now. I have to say I'm absolutely convinced there have been suspension changes/tuning. Every suspension mode feels better. Comfort is less floaty, but sport+ suspension really shines. My car feels notably less harsh over rough roads and simply drives better in Sport plus is simply now my go to. It was never before for any length of time.

I'm unconvinced on the steering. I don't feel anything notably different in daily driving. I have not been on a track or really taking it to the edge.

In terms of output and MDM (I don't drive aggressively with DSC full on), I've never had more fun than I am right now. I don't think MDM has gotten tighter or looser, though the intervention in minor spins might be "softer". It's subjective enough that it could be placebo response IMHO. However, I'm truly tossing it around and having more fun than I remember any time recently.

The only thing I've noticed is very slightly different output characteristics below 2000 rpms. I can't say I know what's going on there. The reason I'm even commenting on this is that I've always remarked upon the buttery smoothness of this engine even at 1500 rpms in 6th gear and mild throttle input. It feels a bit less smooth right now. Could be my tank of gas, heat, humidity, placebo - needs more experimentation.

Lastly, I occasionally experienced some iDrive slowness/short freezes. I haven't experienced any since. Might just not have been the right conditions yet.

Would I get this update again? The suspension changes are 100% worth it to me. The be able to drive in sport + all the time in total comfort is phenomenal. This might be why I'm having so much fun - the suspension is simply handling my aggressive daily driving better, with more comfort and control.

Joe

[P.s. Dear BMW: If you see this post and DIDNT change the suspension settings, that's some damn fine placebo you've got going there.]
      09-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #711
DavidGP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG F80 6spd

Going in for an update, should I just 0 out my JB4 or remove it completely. My dealer is cool with me having it but just wanted to make sure it will not cause any issues with the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #712
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGP View Post
Going in for an update, should I just 0 out my JB4 or remove it completely. My dealer is cool with me having it but just wanted to make sure it will not cause any issues with the update.
Map "0" and disconnect the OBDII connector and tuck it up under the dash.
Appreciate 1
DavidGP349.50
      09-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #713
DavidGP
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG F80 6spd

For those that got the update, did you lose you previous coding and saved settings? Just got my car back from doing a software update but question if a full update was actually done. Non of my settings or coding was changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #714
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGP View Post
For those that got the update, did you lose you previous coding and saved settings? Just got my car back from doing a software update but question if a full update was actually done. Non of my settings or coding was changed.
A few things were off, but almost all of my settings were saved to the key.
      09-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #715
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG/SO M3

many of my key settings (eg radio presets, Memory buttons, seat position) were saved. All my coding was gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #716
Flacht3
Not Enough Garage Space
Rep
Drives: STO /765LTS/ Macan

As mentioned I "accidentally" got a 59.X update a few weeks back. All settings were saved to my key (seats, radio, etc.).

Now that I've had some time to play with it I'd say my top findings are:

1) Different throttle response, especially under 2,000 RPMs and in 1st and 2nd. Less jerkiness but I also feel less raw power. I've found myself mashing the paddle more vs. in the past I'd more gently press and ease into it. This isn't necessarily a bad thing...the car isn't slower, but my driving style has adapted a bit.

2) Exhaust definitely isn't quieter and seems slightly improved but I can't say for sure if it's louder, has more burbles etc. since I recently installed an MPE and it's still breaking in so I can't attribute the sound to the update vs. MPE.

3) Reverse is different. Maybe I'm going crazy but throttle response in reverse seems much more smooth. I used to have to tap-and-go multiple times to back into a spot but now I can just smoothly press the throttle.

4) Steering seems sharper. Not a night and day difference, but something's going on here.

5) I can't say if suspension is any different. I'm starting to think it might be, but also think that could be a placebo from reading this thread.

6) My MDM is NOT neutered. This was my biggest concern. It doesn't feel any different to me. Tail still slides out, tires still spin, nothing seems affected.
      09-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #717
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

They definitely dumbed/slowed down the crispness of the DCT.

I'm going with GTS DCT to get it back soon.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #718
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06

I have not experienced this at all with 58.3. DCT is as lightning fast as it was with 56.x.

Cannot speak for 59.x.

Remember, with the software update the car is "reset" and needs to relearn your driving initially....this can lead to that sensation of DCT being slower.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #719
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex
Quote:

I have not experienced this at all with 58.3. DCT is as lightning fast as it was with 56.x.

Cannot speak for 59.x.

Remember, with the software update the car is "reset" and needs to relearn your driving initially....this can lead to that sensation of DCT being slower.
No, I have had this update for mths now.

I am very in tune to how my car shifts.

The shifts are a little slower AND they slip the clutches more in both up and down shifts to smooth it out.

You can really tell in the rev matching from 2nd to 1st too. When I first got the car it was completely seamless and immediate.

Now there is a slight delay and a small lurch.

And while I'm sure I will here from those who say you shouldn't downshift from 2nd to 1st, I do and like to.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #720
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex
Quote:

Cannot speak for 59.x.

No, I have had this update for mths now.

I am very in tune to how my car shifts.

The shifts are a little slower AND they slip the clutches more in both up and down shifts to smooth it out.
Again, I have not experienced this.

Lightning fast shifts all around for me, and I've had this update (I think, but could be mistaken) for as long as long if not longer.

I posted my findings, with multiple changes noted, DCT responsiveness not being among them.

My thoughts haven't changed since my initial review, but I do not doubt your impression. Possibly version differences....I simply have not experienced them.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:57 AM   #721
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

My car has just come back from having some insurance work and it also go the software updated. I have to say that the car is just soooo much better. its the car I thought I was getting originally, really in love with it now.

the cabin is a much nicer place to be. the piped in sound is a lot quieter when the flaps are open which makes it much more enjoyable in sport sport+

the actual exhaust is much louder and coughs and burbles like it never did.

the suspension has been completely transformed and I even think the stereo sounds better. a massive, massive improvement
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #722
crozetian
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue M40i

Successful Update

I just received the software update on my '16 M3 (Build Date: 8/15). The dealer was initially reluctant because there are no BMW service bulletins describing the Sport Plus hard acceleration jerkiness I mentioned, but the shop foreman's call to the Regional Technical Engineer secured approval.

Here is what I emailed to my Service Advisor after driving home:
Based just on my ride home today ... , the effects of the software update are better and more dramatic than I expected.

1. It appears to have completely eliminated, rather than just ameliorated, the much more than occasional bucking and jerking in hard acceleration under Sport Plus, both in manual and automatic (or whatever BMW calls those — Sequential and Drive maybe?). I went on some empty back roads and in a number of stops + hard acceleration as well as hard acceleration from a slowly rolling start I could not duplicate the problem that I had (and that many other M3 owners reported on the two MC online forums I check, examples of which I had sent you.)

2. It eliminated the prematurely flashing “time to shift” warning lights that previously started blinking under hard acceleration around 5000 rpm. (Others on the forums had reported this problem and cure as well.)

3. Aside from the dramatic improvement in Sport Plus acceleration, ALL acceleration — not just really hard, not just in Sport Plus — seems seat-of-the-pants both stronger and smoother. Even in “Efficient” mode, which I don’t recall anyone else mentioning.

4. Others reported a big improvement in the “Comfort” suspension setting. I didn’t drive far enough or over enough variety of roads to get a clear feeling about this, but — perhaps because I was expecting it or looking for it — the comfort setting did seem a bit better — beyond my automotive vocabulary to describe just how. Something like a bit less loose but without being any harsher/harder. About Numbers 1-3, though, I’m certain.

In short, insofar as the effects of the update on my car are typical, I think BMW should provide it to all owners of similar M3s.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #723
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by crozetian View Post
I just received the software update on my '16 M3 (Build Date: 8/15). The dealer was initially reluctant because there are no BMW service bulletins describing the Sport Plus hard acceleration jerkiness I mentioned, but the shop foreman's call to the Regional Technical Engineer secured approval.

Here is what I emailed to my Service Advisor after driving home:
Based just on my ride home today ... , the effects of the software update are better and more dramatic than I expected.

1. It appears to have completely eliminated, rather than just ameliorated, the much more than occasional bucking and jerking in hard acceleration under Sport Plus, both in manual and automatic (or whatever BMW calls those — Sequential and Drive maybe?). I went on some empty back roads and in a number of stops + hard acceleration as well as hard acceleration from a slowly rolling start I could not duplicate the problem that I had (and that many other M3 owners reported on the two MC online forums I check, examples of which I had sent you.)

2. It eliminated the prematurely flashing “time to shift” warning lights that previously started blinking under hard acceleration around 5000 rpm. (Others on the forums had reported this problem and cure as well.)

3. Aside from the dramatic improvement in Sport Plus acceleration, ALL acceleration — not just really hard, not just in Sport Plus — seems seat-of-the-pants both stronger and smoother. Even in “Efficient” mode, which I don’t recall anyone else mentioning.

4. Others reported a big improvement in the “Comfort” suspension setting. I didn’t drive far enough or over enough variety of roads to get a clear feeling about this, but — perhaps because I was expecting it or looking for it — the comfort setting did seem a bit better — beyond my automotive vocabulary to describe just how. Something like a bit less loose but without being any harsher/harder. About Numbers 1-3, though, I’m certain.

In short, insofar as the effects of the update on my car are typical, I think BMW should provide it to all owners of similar M3s.

2 questions. - Do you perceive the newest software as quick off the line as your previous software? Some have reported a smoother power band acceleration. Second, What dealership did you go to in VA, assuming northern VA?
Thanks!
      09-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #724
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Does anyone know what version this I-step would be?

<i-step>F020-15-11-505</i-step>
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #725
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acturater View Post
Does anyone know what version this I-step would be?

<i-step>F020-15-11-505</i-step>
F020-15-11-505 = ISTA/P 3.57.3

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2016, 01:30 PM   #726
Acturater
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, ISTA/P pulls FA from car. If you wrote 6NS to car FA, then you will get 6NS Coding from Dealer Programming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Alpine View Post
In most cases dealer will read VO from vehicle. Some tech's will pull the VO from the server in very rare cases and that will erase any non factory VO changes. I always suggest and myself do not alter/save VO changes. This a tell sign of altering the vehicle, although I have not seen it, I'm sure if you have a major warranty claim they can easily point the finger. Better stealth then sorry.
Shawn, Alex

The dealer said an update was needed and performed a complete vehicle update. I had not cleared my VO coding prior to taking it in for the service. Do you know if a complete update would generally ignore what's on the car and replace everything?
Appreciate 0