Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Is Stock Pressure Release system sufficient for upgraded turbos?

From my understanding, BMW's S55 solution to releasing boost pressure is by managing the throttle plate (by keeping it open on lift-off), and possibly incorporating the valvetrain and wastegates to simultaneously manage the excess pressure in addition to a form of anti-lag.

My question is: when upgrading to larger turbo(s) and upping the boost, is the stock release system sufficient to protect upgraded turbos at higher boost levels? I've spoken to a few people that had their upgraded turbos fail and when looking at their logs, it appeared that the failure came at lift-off so I'm wondering if this could be a result of the stock pressure relief system not adequately releasing the excess boost from the upgraded turbos running higher boost levels.

I see that BMS is coming out with their blow off valve and am potentially interested if it could extend the life of my upgraded turbos. The "cool" sounds don't matter to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4XS55 View Post
From my understanding, BMW's S55 solution to releasing boost pressure is by managing the throttle plate (by keeping it open on lift-off), and possibly incorporating the valvetrain and wastegates to simultaneously manage the excess pressure in addition to a form of anti-lag.

My question is: when upgrading to larger turbo(s) and upping the boost, is the stock release system sufficient to protect upgraded turbos at higher boost levels? I've spoken to a few people that had their upgraded turbos fail and when looking at their logs, it appeared that the failure came at lift-off so I'm wondering if this could be a result of the stock pressure relief system not adequately releasing the excess boost from the upgraded turbos running higher boost levels.

I see that BMS is coming out with their blow off valve and am potentially interested if it could extend the life of my upgraded turbos. The "cool" sounds don't matter to me.

Any insight would be appreciated.
I would say on E30 or 91(93) yes. But on E85 you need to at least get port injection to lessen load on HPFP, then also see how stock LPFP does, may need to go stage 3 or 4 for that too
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I think bigger turbos have bigger wastegate holes. A certain brand uses stock housings so I could see how a slower release could cause problems long term. In this case the ignition timing may be working harder to reduce power.

PM Chris@Vargas. He's really helpful.
      03-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I think bigger turbos have bigger wastegate holes. A certain brand uses stock housings so I could see how a slower release could cause problems long term. In this case the ignition timing may be working harder to reduce power.

PM Chris@Vargas. He's really helpful.
Thanks, Chris has always been helpful!
Appreciate 0