BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

04-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sport Evo/JP M3/M4 GTS

Dallas area GTS cars with PPF?

Looking for other GTS owners in the Dallas area! Especially looking for those that have install PPF!! I know Classic BMW have a black one, but who else?

I have been considering installing PPF on my FG GTS and I've been getting feedback from both camps - "do it" and "don't do it". I would love to hear from those that have done it and possibly see the results, especially for the frozen grey.

Why? I've been doing a lot of nice weather daily driving (~1000 miles so far) and I would really like to protect the paint. In addition, the car was delivered, new from the dealer, with several scratches that would disappear with PPF. I find that a better option than painting a new car and it's around the same cost. Bonus is that the paint has some protected going forward.

The installer I would go with claims that they have installed full PPF on 2 FG GTS cars. I've given the installer my name and phone number in the hope that they will ask the owner of these cars to call me. Perhaps the owner is on here?

I'm ready to pull the trigger but just need that little bit more of assurance that I am doing the right thing.

Break-in service in a couple of weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #2
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I'm not in Dallas, but I've got full XPEL stealth on my mineral grey GTS (basically looks like FG now). Other than cost, I'm curious as to what the argument is to not do it?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I mean...if you’re asking us whether you should PPF the car, then yes, absolutely. There is all upside and no downside, unless you can’t spend the money or something. Get the stealth wrap to preserve the matte finish

If you’re asking for a PPF installer recommendation, maybe one of the Dallas owners will answer. Also, you might want to ask for Dallas-area recommendations in the cosmetics/detailing section of this forum. It’s a pretty active forum and the opinions of non-GTS owners are just as valid as ours
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I'm not in Dallas, but I've got full XPEL stealth on my mineral grey GTS (basically looks like FG now). Other than cost, I'm curious as to what the argument is to not do it?
The biggest concern seems to be the removal after X years of weather. Any residue left behind cannot be polished off.
Appreciate 1
audioMeth220.00
      04-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #5
the_scotsman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I mean...if you’re asking us whether you should PPF the car, then yes, absolutely. There is all upside and no downside, unless you can’t spend the money or something. Get the stealth wrap to preserve the matte finish

If you’re asking for a PPF installer recommendation, maybe one of the Dallas owners will answer. Also, you might want to ask for Dallas-area recommendations in the cosmetics/detailing section of this forum. It’s a pretty active forum and the opinions of non-GTS owners are just as valid as ours
Stealth is the plan. I had a small sample applied over half a scratch an the scratch disappeared! I would still like to see a full FG GTS done before committing.

I actually posted a question in that sub-forum at the start of February but got zero responses (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579939). I've checked out a few installers (large range of prices) and I have narrowed it down to XPEL working out of RAC Performance in Carrolton. They apparently have done 2 FG GTS via Car Wrap City.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
Quote:
I mean...if you're asking us whether you should PPF the car, then yes, absolutely. There is all upside and no downside, unless you can't spend the money or something. Get the stealth wrap to preserve the matte finish

If you're asking for a PPF installer recommendation, maybe one of the Dallas owners will answer. Also, you might want to ask for Dallas-area recommendations in the cosmetics/detailing section of this forum. It's a pretty active forum and the opinions of non-GTS owners are just as valid as ours
Stealth is the plan. I had a small sample applied over half a scratch an the scratch disappeared! I would still like to see a full FG GTS done before committing.

I actually posted a question in that sub-forum at the start of February but got zero responses (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1579939). I've checked out a few installers (large range of prices) and I have narrowed it down to XPEL working out of RAC Performance in Carrolton. They apparently have done 2 FG GTS via Car Wrap City.
I had my entire FG gts xpel stealth wrapped. It was perfect. The color was identical to no wrap. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #7
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Dallas area GTS cars with PPF?

Quote:
Quote:
I mean...if you're asking us whether you should PPF the car, then yes, absolutely. There is all upside and no downside, unless you can't spend the money or something. Get the stealth wrap to preserve the matte finish

If you're asking for a PPF installer recommendation, maybe one of the Dallas owners will answer. Also, you might want to ask for Dallas-area recommendations in the cosmetics/detailing section of this forum. It's a pretty active forum and the opinions of non-GTS owners are just as valid as ours

I had my entire FG gts xpel stealth wrapped. It was perfect. The color was identical to no wrap. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, I see. Well hopefully we've at least helped on the first part of your question!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #9
FeckinSpaceman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22' M240i

Garage List
2022 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Looking for other GTS owners in the Dallas area! Especially looking for those that have install PPF!! I know Classic BMW have a black one, but who else?

I have been considering installing PPF on my FG GTS and I've been getting feedback from both camps - "do it" and "don't do it". I would love to hear from those that have done it and possibly see the results, especially for the frozen grey.

Why? I've been doing a lot of nice weather daily driving (~1000 miles so far) and I would really like to protect the paint. In addition, the car was delivered, new from the dealer, with several scratches that would disappear with PPF. I find that a better option than painting a new car and it's around the same cost. Bonus is that the paint has some protected going forward.

The installer I would go with claims that they have installed full PPF on 2 FG GTS cars. I've given the installer my name and phone number in the hope that they will ask the owner of these cars to call me. Perhaps the owner is on here?

I'm ready to pull the trigger but just need that little bit more of assurance that I am doing the right thing.

Break-in service in a couple of weeks

Although not a GTS, I just had my M3 CS done at a DFW local spot, and am very pleased with the result and installer.

I personally did full front Suntek Ultra, plus CF front lip, and side skirts.

I will say watch who you go with as I understand this hood can be a bitch to complete the right way.

Previous
2019 540, 2018 M3 CS, 2015 M3, 2011 550i, 2013 335i
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Just make sure you show the installer exactly how to open and close the bonnet ! Surprisingly easy to dent.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #11
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Just make sure you show the installer exactly how to open and close the bonnet ! Surprisingly easy to dent.
Its CFRP, so it just cracks and doesnt dent.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #12
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Its CFRP, so it just cracks and doesnt dent.
Lol good point. Still important to show them.

Just basically smash the thing hard from half height.
Appreciate 0