Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #111
sraj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 540i 6sp; 2016 M4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
It does look kinda dorky - of course not if your name is Chad, it's 1983, and you have places to be ... but otherwise dorky.

Also, it's an internets meme so there's your confirmation right there:

Not saying I don't do it occasionally, but usually only once the temp is below 60. And that wind blocker thing has never been out of its holder ... still has the tag that flaps around all of the time but I don't have the heart to pull it off; it's lasted so long That thing is power-dork.
Says the guy who lives in Newport Beach. We have real winters on the East Coast, and anyone who doesn't like me driving around in chilly weather with the top down and windows up is probably jealous.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #112
sraj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 540i 6sp; 2016 M4 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I did an extensive image search on the internet to find a picture of an M4 vert with the top down and the windows up - could not find a single one - not one.
Doesn't seem to be a big deal in the Netherlands, at least.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #113
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F83 View Post
It must be so hard to be so worried about what other people think so much.
I think you're missing the point ...

* Pretty much everyone on this forum thinks we're wussy little girls in our wussy little Barbie and Ken cars.

* Most people on the road (except other 'vert owners) think we're huge douches - a BMW *and* it's a convertible? They're certain we've got a lot of issues we're working through

* Putting the windows up with the top down just adds dork to the douche/wuss aroma

... so, no, I'm pretty sure none of us are worried about what anyone thinks - it's just about acknowledging *THAT* they think it since that was the question on the table.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #114
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #115
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott
Here's a few:

Mine transformers-style from the Welt:

From Milan during ED:

Here's some of the MG, top up, from the Welt:

This...... is a gorgeous shot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      11-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #116
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

All clean up

Parked for a week time to travel for work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:15 PM   #117
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:

* Pretty much everyone on this forum thinks we're wussy little girls in our wussy little Barbie and Ken cars.

* Most people on the road (except other 'vert owners) think we're huge douches - a BMW *and* it's a convertible? They're certain we've got a lot of issues we're working through

* Putting the windows up with the top down just adds dork to the douche/wuss aroma

... so, no, I'm pretty sure none of us are worried about what anyone thinks - it's just about acknowledging *THAT* they think it since that was the question on the table.
Well I guess I have to admit that I did pay a bit of a nod to this. I haven't (and won't) tint my windows. It looks great with the top up, but I do feel that a tinted window that is up when your top is down is perhaps one step deeper into douchery than I'm willing to go. So when I drive my car with windows up and top down - the windows are clear at least. I guess I acknowledge that a bit.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 05:37 PM   #118
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Sorry, I don't follow this post at all ..........tinting the wondows keeps the car cool when it's freaking hot, second if I'm on the freeway at midnight and it's cold I will roll up the windows. Turn on the heat full blast, and by the way you can have a decent conversation. I have friends that have conv Porsche, Lambos, and MAC all with tinted windows what makes a BMW douche for having tinted windows. Sorry just don't follow.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #119
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep

Garage List
No judging. Just pointing out that I didn't personally tint because I didn't like the look of tinted windows with top down. (But I do drive with windows up, top down often).

Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #120
modulated
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AzBlack/Black F83

Garage List
2015 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2014 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:

Love this. You won't understand it fully until you've dropped the top on one of those PERFECT convertible days, on the perfect road, and you can't stop smiling. You're pretty much this guy and all of the opinions about you and your choice of car (it's a vert, it's too heavy, top's down in the winter, windows are up, tinted, etc.) just become even funnier.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #121
modulated
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AzBlack/Black F83

Garage List
2015 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2014 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Here's some color variations
Am I the only obsessive one that immediately noticed the blue car at top left isn't an M? I need help.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 07:04 PM   #122
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulated
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaranob View Post
Here's some color variations
Am I the only obsessive one that immediately noticed the blue car at top left isn't an M? I need help.
Either you need help or you should be either a) a forensic accountant or b) an aeronautical engineer. Your pick.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #123
Chowf83
Rep
Drives: F83

Terrific threat- thank you bimmerpost

A question to f83 owners- has anyone put on the aftermarket carbon fiber trunk spoiler? Does it reduce the dirt that collects on the rear?

Also, does anyone have aftermarket rims lighter than stock? I am looking to lighten the car a bit given the heavier frame of f83. The only rims that are much lighter are the bbs fi-r which are 7k plus cannot use stock tires. That money may be better spent elsewhere. Thus I may just powdercoat the stock rims or wait for the GTs rims.

My thought on tint- the rear windows look terrible on f82/3 tinted because of the edge trim which has little holes. It's not a clean look, looks cheap up close. But if in Florida or SoCal, sure it's useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #124
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowf83 View Post
My thought on tint- the rear windows look terrible on f82/3 tinted because of the edge trim which has little holes. It's not a clean look, looks cheap up close. But if in Florida or SoCal, sure it's useful.
On the rims ... I can't believe the weight savings is significant, especially for 7k ... seems like you're better off working the horsepower side of the equation there. Plus, this F83 moves way better against the F80/2 vs the E9x, but you still get some decent ass-sway with the junk in the trunk. I don't track race, so I actually love the way the car handles with the top down - prefer it actually. But again, relative to wheel weight, it's not gonna make much difference I would guess.

Agree on the tint look - just doesn't look quite right to me either ... I've almost pulled the trigger but haven't yet. I also haven't put on black kidneys/gills ... still not sure about it ... the car stands out plenty as is. Seems kind of like putting a pocket square in a Zegna suit or wearing a Graham chronofighter with one - it feels gluttonous to me, but completely a style thing. I do hate chrome though ... I'd love a matte aluminum option. I'm also a little carbon-fibered out too ... love the standard trim, but it's enough for me.

All of that said, SmartTop is a must mod! And pulling the active sound plug ... and the angry neighbor mod (on the oem exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #125
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
On the rims ... I can't believe the weight savings is significant, especially for 7k ... seems like you're better off working the horsepower side of the equation there. Plus, this F83 moves way better against the F80/2 vs the E9x, but you still get some decent ass-sway with the junk in the trunk. I don't track race, so I actually love the way the car handles with the top down - prefer it actually. But again, relative to wheel weight, it's not gonna make much difference I would guess.

Agree on the tint look - just doesn't look quite right to me either ... I've almost pulled the trigger but haven't yet. I also haven't put on black kidneys/gills ... still not sure about it ... the car stands out plenty as is. Seems kind of like putting a pocket square in a Zegna suit or wearing a Graham chronofighter with one - it feels gluttonous to me, but completely a style thing. I do hate chrome though ... I'd love a matte aluminum option. I'm also a little carbon-fibered out too ... love the standard trim, but it's enough for me.

All of that said, SmartTop is a must mod! And pulling the active sound plug ... and the angry neighbor mod (on the oem exhaust).
Do your grill surrounds in Moonstone. I color matched mine and love it.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #126
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by modulated View Post
Dagnabbit - you are correct sir!! And yes you win the prize for a special OCD treatment at your local clinic Well spotted
      11-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #127
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do your grill surround in Moonstone. I color matched mine and love it.
Hey now ... that's a good idea! Wonder what iND wants for that ... couldn't be more than the car costs but you never know
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #128
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

I've owned an e46 M3 convertible, C4S cab and now getting an M4 vert. I personally like windows all the way down or halfway up. Top down and windows up seems a bit dorky. With that said, I can't wait for a cold sunny winter day, bundled up with gloves, hat, heated seats on nuclear, heated steering wheel and heated scarf on full blast. Windscreen and windows all the way up! Call me a dork. I'll own it.
      11-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #129
PhoenixBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2017 X5 2014 535(sold)

Garage List
Quote:
Why would you have the side windows up with the top down? Always looks dorky to me
As the other guy here mentioned, there are lots of photos either top up or top down photos in google search, I just like to see how it looks like with windows up/top down as I don't see that photo. That's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #130
Chowf83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDallas View Post
As the other guy here mentioned, there are lots of photos either top up or top down photos in google search, I just like to see how it looks like with windows up/top down as I don't see that photo. That's all.
It's simple- wife in the car windows up, alone keep it down. I would note the car is more aerodynamic, quieter and easier to concentrate, and safer from road Debris and would be assailants with windows up.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2015, 09:58 PM   #131
PhoenixBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2017 X5 2014 535(sold)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowf83 View Post
It's...up.
I was mentioning "look" not its "functionality". Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #132
Chowf83
Rep

Quote:

Why is SmartTop a must? Is holding the button really a problem? My fob controls the top as well, but I need to hold the button. I think a fully automatic top may be dangerous if 1)something gets stuck or in the way that could hurt the mechanism or damage the paint, 2) My passangers long hair or digits may be caught 3) if it open automatically on the highway! Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 0