Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #67
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaero View Post
Not to throw the thread off topic, but I just purchased a manual M3 and I have never driven a manual (hoping it arrives early next week as it arrived at VPC yesterday). Did I make a mistake or is an M3 an ok car to learn on? My SA was kind enough to offer lessons during delivery, but I am a bit worried...
it is super easy to drive, but i would recommend renting a beater 6 speed car to learn on. learning on a new m3, if you have never driven a manual before might be rough.
      08-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #68
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Once you get the hang of it it is quite easy to shift an MT without using the clutch.

https://jalopnik.com/how-to-shift-wi...tha-1792411840
You can feel it when you have it right. Kind of feels like it’s notching in just past a minor resistance point. This is nothing I would try on a regular basis btw, not sure if it’s bad or not but I’m sure the clutch peddle is there for a good reason.
      08-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #69
bananaero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: rr sc / cayenne tts / m3

i couldn't find a manual car to rent around me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vip View Post
it is super easy to drive, but i would recommend renting a beater 6 speed car to learn on. learning on a new m3, if you have never driven a manual before might be rough.
it's a 3 year lease, do you think i will need it? it probably won't be my daily either. is it that easy to kill the clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
You're brave. Watch a lot of YouTube videos. Rent a manual if you can. The auto rev feature will help you a lot. Oh yea get Ultimate Care for that free clutch replacement.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #70
viva_brasil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 30 Jahre 6MT

The car has so many features to help you drive manual that you'll be able to easily drive it.

However, you may rely so much on the support systems that it will take a very long time to truly learn.

Sport + mode turns all the manual driving support systems off, which I've observed as:

1- First Gear: to get the car moving, press the clutch, put it in 1st gear, slowly release the clutch. You don't have to give any throttle, the car automatically adds just the right amount of throttle needed to get the car going without over-revving or stalling. That's the hardest part of learning to drive a manual, car does it for you (except in Sport + mode).

2. Up Shifting: when you want to shift up to the next gear, press the clutch, shift the lever to the next gear, and just let the clutch out. The car will automatically hold the engine speed at the perfect rpm for the gear you selected. You don't have to blip the throttle or be smooth with your clutch release to make it perfectly smooth.

3. Down shifting - this is what most people talk about, the opposite of up shifting but same idea: instead of shifting to the next gear and decreasing the rpms you want to instead down shift to a smaller gear and increase the rpms (maybe you're going to start braking or want more power). Press the clutch in, move the lever to your gear of choice, you'll notice the engine is automatically revved up to match the gear you choose. It'll keep it revved up as long as it takes for you to release the clutch. It'll even rev it to a different engine speed if you choose to go to a different gear.

So essentially all of the mastery associated with driving a manual is taken care of by the car (except in sport + mode). Just make sure you understand how it works mechanically and give yourself some time to practice in sport + mode once you've seen the computer do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #71
bananaero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thank you for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
The car has so many features to help you drive manual that you'll be able to easily drive it.

However, you may rely so much on the support systems that it will take a very long time to truly learn.

Sport + mode turns all the manual driving support systems off, which I've observed as:

1- First Gear: to get the car moving, press the clutch, put it in 1st gear, slowly release the clutch. You don't have to give any throttle, the car automatically adds just the right amount of throttle needed to get the car going without over-revving or stalling. That's the hardest part of learning to drive a manual, car does it for you (except in Sport + mode).

2. Up Shifting: when you want to shift up to the next gear, press the clutch, shift the lever to the next gear, and just let the clutch out. The car will automatically hold the engine speed at the perfect rpm for the gear you selected. You don't have to blip the throttle or be smooth with your clutch release to make it perfectly smooth.

3. Down shifting - this is what most people talk about, the opposite of up shifting but same idea: instead of shifting to the next gear and decreasing the rpms you want to instead down shift to a smaller gear and increase the rpms (maybe you're going to start braking or want more power). Press the clutch in, move the lever to your gear of choice, you'll notice the engine is automatically revved up to match the gear you choose. It'll keep it revved up as long as it takes for you to release the clutch. It'll even rev it to a different engine speed if you choose to go to a different gear.

So essentially all of the mastery associated with driving a manual is taken care of by the car (except in sport + mode). Just make sure you understand how it works mechanically and give yourself some time to practice in sport + mode once you've seen the computer do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #72
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
thank you for this.
2. please do not let the clutch immed after upshifts and allow the rpms to drop and be held at correct RPM before releasing clutch.

Also I would still learn to mix in gas with take off

your biggest problem is going to be indecision in lower gears. If you start tapping and flapping the accelertor in 1st the car makes your organs feel it
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #73
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I dont think learning manual on the M3 will be a problem at all. The clutch is super light and easy to modulate.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #74
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
it's a 3 year lease, do you think i will need it? it probably won't be my daily either. is it that easy to kill the clutch?
Depends how fast and proficient you learn. Definitely get some friends to ride with you and teach you. And when you stall don't panic. Get used to flashing the hazard lights. Should be a reflex: Stall->Hazards. Maybe get a student driver bumper sticker?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #75
bananaero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

LOL https://smile.amazon.com/Please-Pati...r+magnet&psc=1

ordered.

edit: should i book a manual car on turo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerIx View Post
Depends how fast and proficient you learn. Definitely get some friends to ride with you and teach you. And when you stall don't panic. Get used to flashing the hazard lights. Should be a reflex: Stall->Hazards. Maybe get a student driver bumper sticker?

Last edited by bananaero; 08-24-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 2
minn1914034.50
shay2nak1070.00
      08-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #76
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

It is a very forgiving manual. The clutch is light and the shifter is very smooth.

The best way to get the feel of the clutch is to go somewhere flat with no traffic. From a stop push the clutch to the floor and place the car in first. Keep the clutch pedal depressed. Use no gas, slowly release the clutch until the car is moving without stalling. This quickly helps you feel the engagement of the clutch.

I taught my son to drive a stick. After doing this exercise, he had it down. Now he can heel/toe like a pro!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 06:12 AM   #77
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv.nandak View Post
I am fairly certain leaving it in neutral does not conserve fuel. On the contrary, leaving it in gear and using engine breaking conserves fuel as well as brakes.
The real answer is that "it depends".

In the recent past, even fuel injected engines were not running very efficiently at idle, burning a fair bit of fuel just idling. In those days, it was indeed more efficient to coast in gear where the ECU would cut the fuel supply. With the avenue of direct injection and variable cam timing, engines can now run very efficiently at idle. So, over an entire drive cycle, there is more energy lost in engine pumping losses when decelerating with engine braking with no fuel than there would be coasting with the engine idling. However, it greatly depends on the driving context, for instance if you are approaching a red light where you know you will eventually need to brake, it is then more fuel efficient to coast with engine braking as there is no opportunity to leverage the longer distance achieved by coasting in neutral.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 08-26-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #78
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
That's the craziest thing I have ever heard, shifting without depressing clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Yes its crazy and stupid , you are driving a manual and not an automatic , so get used to using the clutch all the time
Why ?

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
jzmundy991.00
Thescout134947.00
      08-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #79
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

All this talk about shifting RPM's. The only time I ever look down at the rpm is when I am going WOT shifting at redline. For normal everyday driving I rely on my ears. When you have driven manuals enough you know when to up or downshift just hearing the engine. Don't need the tach.

Cheers.

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 08-26-2018 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914034.50
      08-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #80
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Why ?
Because its a manual and the 3rd pedal is there for a reason