Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-18-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

Auto Rev Match on the MT: Love it or hate it?

I still see here and there that people don't want the auto rev matching feature. I love having a manual trans and yeah I'm a love the purist, get involved, don't add this don't add that...however, I noticed when I was in Germany, I didn't mind having the auto rev. Not very intrusive, and it usually does it at a convenient time that I wasn't really expecting it, but it made the shift a little easier for me.

Meaning, when I was on the track even though I drove in normal mode, I usually heel-toe regardless and I don't think the auto-rev really compensated well for it. So yeah, if you are driving hard, yeah, you still need to heel-toe.

However, if you are just kind of puttering around and alternating between spirited and then slow down city driving, then autorev works well.

I guess my thing is, don't complain about it too much until you drive it and then you feel it get in the way...then you really have a leg to stand on. However, I don't think you will feel that way after you drive it.

Anyone else with a 6MT concur? lmk
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
1stm3f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 ///M3

I prefer the toe to heel than heel to toe. Although the big toe to pinky toe works well too.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stm3f80 View Post
I prefer the toe to heel than heel to toe. Although the big toe to pinky toe works well too.
I like big toe to pinky!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad
I still see here and there that people don't want the auto rev matching feature. I love having a manual trans and yeah I'm a love the purist, get involved, don't add this don't add that...however, I noticed when I was in Germany, I didn't mind having the auto rev. Not very intrusive, and it usually does it at a convenient time that I wasn't really expecting it, but it made the shift a little easier for me.

Meaning, when I was on the track even though I drove in normal mode, I usually heel-toe regardless and I don't think the auto-rev really compensated well for it. So yeah, if you are driving hard, yeah, you still need to heel-toe.

However, if you are just kind of puttering around and alternating between spirited and then slow down city driving, then autorev works well.

I guess my thing is, don't complain about it too much until you drive it and then you feel it get in the way...then you really have a leg to stand on. However, I don't think you will feel that way after you drive it.

I agree 100%. I have been raving about this feature on a couple other threads. I would go as far as to say it's one of the top 5 coolest features of this car. I am absolutely loving that it's doing this for me, I can concentrate so much more on proper braking force without trying to turn my foot.

I'm going to mid-ohio on Labor Day for a track event, I'm debating leaving it on and seeing how it does on a track.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #5
Miko M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I love mine. I don't track mine car,so I have been trying on all mine cars to practice every time I drive it but still love the rev mech.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad

I agree 100%. I have been raving about this feature on a couple other threads. I would go as far as to say it's one of the top 5 coolest features of this car. I am absolutely loving that it's doing this for me, I can concentrate so much more on proper braking force without trying to turn my foot.

I'm going to mid-ohio on Labor Day for a track event, I'm debating leaving it on and seeing how it does on a track.
But heel and toe is so much fun!

I can see the appeal through if this is your DD.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I have always been a fan of a perfectly matched heel-toe downshift and BMW's always have a great pedal setup. Distance, weight and height. In my last car (MINI Cooper S 6 speed) I think the most entertaining (part besides unlocking the mystery of what will the engine sound like today) was a great downshift. I think it says something about your proficiency as a driver, your engagement with the vehicle and you personally when you enjoy that sort of thing. Now, rev matching, there are times when I just feel like getting home or making the light and I am not really worried about it. If the rev matching feature works in concert with your skills (maybe add a few revs when you don't get it perfect) rather than a replacement for skills I am all for it. If it is a full Russian Crimea takeover of the downshift I will have it in sport-plus full time. Thing is; my car is still in 111 so you all tell me. I am listening...
      07-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984
I have always been a fan of a perfectly matched heel-toe downshift and BMW's always have a great pedal setup. Distance, weight and height. In my last car (MINI Cooper S 6 speed) I think the most entertaining (part besides unlocking the mystery of what will the engine sound like today) was a great downshift. I think it says something about your proficiency as a driver, your engagement with the vehicle and you personally when you enjoy that sort of thing. Now, rev matching, there are times when I just feel like getting home or making the light and I am not really worried about it. If the rev matching feature works in concert with your skills (maybe add a few revs when you don't get it perfect) rather than a replacement for skills I am all for it. If it is a full Russian Crimea takeover of the downshift I will have it in sport-plus full time. Thing is; my car is still in 111 so you all tell me. I am listening...
My problem with sport+ is it makes normal driving too jerky. The car revs too fast & drops revs too fast so upshifting at lower RPMs for DD'ing is super clunky & I like to drive stick so that my passengers feel like it's an automatic & smooth. So that's what I practice.
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm sure when you receive your cars you will be converted! Kinda like the fact that you don't have to double clutch anymore....I know you want the most driver engagement, but you probably would be pissed if you had to do that!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #10
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Good to hear OP. I'm getting the MT of three reasons.
1. The clutch.
2. The ability to select any gear I want directly.
3. A separate physical location for each gear.

Heel toeing was fun to learn but once it became instinct it lost it's allure to me and I don't care if I need to do it or not but I'm curious about the rev matching and I'm looking forward to use it since it should make for faster shifts. All good to me.

When I drove my DCT I never thought, wow I wish I could heel to it but I did miss the ability to use a clutch, select gears directly and always knowing what gear I'm in and what gear I'm going to without looking at the display or count.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
1. The clutch.

Heel toeing was fun to learn but once it became instinct it lost it's allure to me and I don't care if I need to do it or not but I'm curious about the rev matching and I'm looking forward to use it since it should make for faster shifts. All good to me.
yeah, that's a good point. I don't always go in sequential order when selecting gears. Sometimes I am 1,2,4 if I am between traffic lights... or I will skip 5th if I'm lazy in getting on the freeway rather than burning up the tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #12
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
1. The clutch.

When I drove my DCT I never thought, wow I wish I could heel to it but I did miss the ability to use a clutch, select gears directly and always knowing what gear I'm in and what gear I'm going to without looking at the display or count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
yeah, that's a good point. I don't always go in sequential order when selecting gears. Sometimes I am 1,2,4 if I am between traffic lights... or I will skip 5th if I'm lazy in getting on the freeway rather than burning up the tires.
I do a lot of 4th to 6th in my E39 M5. Fifth gear is a 1:1, so I don't use it much.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
12mpgm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Yet another reason I am very hesitant to consider the f80. I have no problems with this system or with M drivers liking it. For me it's manual all the way and I want to blip / heal toe myself always. The fact that you can't disable this fully all the time (apparently) is just crazy...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #14
GBPackerfan1963
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW M5 2007 E60 550i

Garage List
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12mpgm3 View Post
Yet another reason I am very hesitant to consider the f80. I have no problems with this system or with M drivers liking it. For me it's manual all the way and I want to blip / heal toe myself always. The fact that you can't disable this fully all the time (apparently) is just crazy...
If you stay in Sport +, it is disabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #15
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
I drove nothing but manual transmission for years in the UK - never thought I would drive an auto.

When I moved to the US 4 years ago I decided to give the E92 DCT a go...

Now I'm 100% sold - not just for the rev-match and faster shifts, but because I can keep two hands on the wheel in the fast bends!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #16
IMrMark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.66]
Burned through half the break in yesterday (lengthy photo filled ED journal post to come soon™) and have to agree that the rev matching is fantastic. I wasn't sure at first and it did seem to take me a moment or two to get used to not bliping on my own - but definitely faster and smoother shifting all around.

Edit: specifically, it's quick, precise, and accurate - every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 07:20 AM   #17
serieD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1199 Panigale S

I love the idea and the actual function of the Rev-Match, I just think you should be able to toggle when it is on and when it is isn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Surprisingly, I agree. I've been heel/toeing every downshift since I was 17, but the auto-rev match feature works really well and makes it easy to drive the car smoothly when that's all you want to do. There's always sport+ for when I want to do it myself. I found my Z4M Coupe to be relatively difficult to drive smoothly due to the responsive throttle, quick revving, and clutch engagement characteristic. This feature eliminates that issue when I want it too.
      07-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
I drove nothing but manual transmission for years in the UK - never thought I would drive an auto.

When I moved to the US 4 years ago I decided to give the E92 DCT a go...

Now I'm 100% sold - not just for the rev-match and faster shifts, but because I can keep two hands on the wheel in the fast bends!
I agree that the DCT is a great transmission, but you shouldn't be shifting in fast bends anyway. Get your shifting done before the corner!
      07-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #20
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Give it a chance. Seriously. I was like you until I drove my car, now I have totally flipped. FWIW, Unlike past M cars, I didn't find sport+ to be too agressive for frequent use, so if you want to match on your own, just put hit M2.
      07-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I agree that the DCT is a great transmission, but you shouldn't be shifting in fast bends anyway. Get your shifting done before the corner!
Exactly, shift before going in to the corner and shit coming out
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #22
Blue92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92

Great analogy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M sa View Post
Exactly, shift before going in to the corner and shit coming out