R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Should my exhaust valves be closed in Sport engine mode on cold start?

Hey all

Just bought a used 2016 F80 and was looking at all the threads about the exhaust valves and different options.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the valves should be closed on cold start even in sport mode? Or do they automatically open up and stay open as soon as you put it into sport regardless of engine temp.

Reason I ask is because even right after a cold start if I switch to sport there is an immediate change in the exhaust note. I read on one thread that there was something you could either code or install (don't remember which) where you could control the valves by mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnkraut View Post
Hey all

Just bought a used 2016 F80 and was looking at all the threads about the exhaust valves and different options.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the valves should be closed on cold start even in sport mode? Or do they automatically open up and stay open as soon as you put it into sport regardless of engine temp.

Reason I ask is because even right after a cold start if I switch to sport there is an immediate change in the exhaust note. I read on one thread that there was something you could either code or install (don't remember which) where you could control the valves by mode.
In sport/sport+ modes, the valves should open once you tap the gas pedal. It will stay open in 1st/2nd gears and at high RPM in higher gears.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Hey all

Sounds like everything is working as it should, the valves are closed on cold start since the car starts in Efficient mode unless you change it manually, then when changing to Sport or Sport+ the valves open and the engine gets louder.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:

If you have an immediate change in exhaust sound from comfort -> s/s+ while idling the car after starting, there might be a module installed.

It shouldnt open the valves (when idling) unless you blip the gas. So Comfort -> S/S+ will still be valves closed till u blip the gas then they open.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

So, you can start the car in Sport/Sport + mode by switching modes with the battery on. The valve opens more than efficient but it is not fully open until the start cycle is done (I forget how much time it takes but you can hear it get louder as the revs settle)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
RxVol
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

If you want the valves open at cold start:

Press Start button with foot off gas
Switch engine mode to Sport/Sport +
Blip the gas pedal - you should hear an audible click of the valves opening
Start car
      11-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
Chris Paul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i MBM, Saddle Brown

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Vol View Post

Start car
I always start mine in Sport mode, but I had no idea about blipping the throttle to fully open the valves. Can't wait to try this next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Paul View Post
I always start mine in Sport mode, but I had no idea about blipping the throttle to fully open the valves. Can't wait to try this next time.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Don't know about other years but my 2017 zcp has valves open at cold start up. After the vehicle warms up the valves close (all of this happening in efficient mode). As others mentioned the valves open when switching to sport/sport+, after pressing the accelerator.

Last edited by knightarmor; 11-07-2019 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
2011zx10R427.00
      11-07-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

I think I probably should've worded my post a little better.

I'm not asking how to open my valves at startup. I'm telling you the valves are opening when I switch to sport on cold start, without blipping the throttle or doing any other random process.

Since this doesn't seem like stock behavior, I wanted to know what module or coding the previous owner could have had done and how do I find out.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:

I'm not asking how to open my valves at startup. I'm telling you the valves are opening when I switch to sport on cold start, without blipping the throttle or doing any other random process.

Since this doesn't seem like stock behavior, I wanted to know what module or coding the previous owner could have had done and how do I find out.
The valves should be open on cold start, stock from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

That "is" stock behavior...

I have same year completely stock my cold start is consistent with what you described.

As others have mentioned even in efficient; once car is warmed up they are closed at lower rpms and open up when you get to higher rpms
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
$hah$
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/MT/ZCP & 2023 X7

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Vol View Post

Start car
Amazing, I tried this last night. How did you discover that? I would have never thought to try it if it weren't for this thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hah$ View Post
Amazing, I tried this last night. How did you discover that? I would have never thought to try it if it weren't for this thread.
That is part of the mod procedure to keep the valves open at all time.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread