European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-17-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I would return that car. Sounds like it’s already going to be a hassle
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #24
BimmerKay
Experienced Newbie
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: M3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheONE24 View Post
Of course I now notice that the CEL is on. P0420 and P0430. Appears to be something with emissions and from what I can tell cats or O2 sensors. I would think I would be able to hear if the car had Catless DP's. I guess I will have them check that out as well on Monday. If it does have them I may just clear the codes and not mention it, lol.
I give you a lot of credit for being so well reserved to come on a forum and diagnose the problem. I probably would've had a fit at the sight of such!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #25
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Are you speaking of the bracket that holds the oil cooler in place?
Whatever piece u have behind the grille.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #26
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4/F82 MGM/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevu_m4 View Post
I give you a lot of credit for being so well reserved to come on a forum and diagnose the problem. I probably would've had a fit at the sight of such!
Ha, Thanks.
My last car was e92 335i and out of warranty half it's life so I'm pretty used to having a car that is constantly being fixed and whether I wanted to or not I became educated instead of broke on what to do next. I'm typically not much of an optimist but I'm really hoping this gets resolved where I get to keep this car because I've really enjoyed driving it for the very short time I've had it and don't really want to wait forever for another one to pop up. That being said I did do a little googling and found some random site called legal begal that essentially states that by not disclosing a wreck they can be sued with damages. https://legalbeagle.com/7228428-virg...turn-laws.html
I'm no lawyer but my father used to be one. I'm going to wait to see how this plays out monday before getting him involved to save the I told you so's. When I looked under the car it appeared that there were some hand marks in the dust on the belly pan. I'm going to try and get a shot of those as evidence that they new there was an issue. In the end if there is no frame damage and all that it needs is the oil cooler replacement kit(comes with shield and some other things) $700 ish, oil change $80ish and a new front bumper with paint and all the holes drilled say $1300ish I'm willing to do the work and meet them in the middle. That's a much better option for them then shipping the car back and doing the repairs themselves. If there is a more series issue or they won't pay to fix then it's bye bye car or lawyer time. I was actually able to find the price they paid for the car from BMW off a dealer friend and they made a solid $6k off the sale. Probably closer to $5k after replacing all the tires and front brakes before shipping it so with repairs they will still be ahead on the deal.
      08-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #27
BimmerKay
Experienced Newbie
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: M3x

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevu_m4 View Post
Ha, Thanks.
My last car was e92 335i and out of warranty half it's life so I'm pretty used to having a car that is constantly being fixed and whether I wanted to or not I became educated instead of broke on what to do next. I'm typically not much of an optimist but I'm really hoping this gets resolved where I get to keep this car because I've really enjoyed driving it for the very short time I've had it and don't really want to wait forever for another one to pop up. That being said I did do a little googling and found some random site called legal begal that essentially states that by not disclosing a wreck they can be sued with damages. https://legalbeagle.com/7228428-virg...turn-laws.html
I'm no lawyer but my father used to be one. I'm going to wait to see how this plays out monday before getting him involved to save the I told you so's. When I looked under the car it appeared that there were some hand marks in the dust on the belly pan. I'm going to try and get a shot of those as evidence that they new there was an issue. In the end if there is no frame damage and all that it needs is the oil cooler replacement kit(comes with shield and some other things) $700 ish, oil change $80ish and a new front bumper with paint and all the holes drilled say $1300ish I'm willing to do the work and meet them in the middle. That's a much better option for them then shipping the car back and doing the repairs themselves. If there is a more series issue or they won't pay to fix then it's bye bye car or lawyer time. I was actually able to find the price they paid for the car from BMW off a dealer friend and they made a solid $6k off the sale. Probably closer to $5k after replacing all the tires and front brakes before shipping it so with repairs they will still be ahead on the deal.
I will definitely be following this closely, I really hope it gets resolved. There's nothing worst than being all happy about a new car and for it to already start giving you headaches, I wish you all the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Hachima
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
2022 BMW X3M  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340Xi  [0.00]
Hopefully this gets resolved for you. On a plus side this is a good chance to get a proper oil cooler guard (metal vs the plastic OEM one). https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1171537 has some good pictures on what a guard looks like.

Right now with no guard you are at a very high risk of destroying your motor completely. One rock to that cooler (like the one that was stuck in the grill) will puncture the cooler and within a minute your engine is completely destroyed.

Insurance claim could get tricky if they notice the guard missing and use that against you. So getting a new guard installed asap should be a high priority.

Looking back at things does anything stand out on the CarFax as something may have been reported but not accurately reported? Maybe just an 'oil change' but at an odd interval.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #29
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
went back and re-read this thread from the beginning thinking I must've missed something. Where's the Carfax?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
went back and re-read this thread from the beginning thinking I must've missed something. Where's the Carfax?
Carfax is unreliable at best.
Only when you're the buyer. Dealer will hold a car fax over your head even if it's wrong.
Appreciate 4
      08-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #31
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Wow, you have some extreme patience. Curious to see how this plays out. I actualy just picked up the Imola Red F80 that was at Cooper! Im over here in Northwest AR.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #32
Liquid2.0T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: It used to be a BMW...

To the OP return the car if you can. Save yourself the headache.

I had leased a car, that I bent the oil cooler on from bottoming out on a dip+man hole cover combination. While it wasn't leaking I still replaced the oil cooler. If the previous owner decided not to, it just shows that they didn't care about the car at all. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #33
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
The car fax actually looked really clean. After buying it, but before it shipped I checked it again and did see that it appears to have been a repo and sat for about 5-6 months. I don't remember seeing that initially for some reason so I don't know if it got updated or not. I don't have it with me but it definitely did not show any sign of damage or any entries from BMW stating "checked this or that" which I had been seeing on other cars. It did pass Virginia state inspection. I'm guessing if it's throwing P0420 and P0430 now and it's not from leaky injectors or some other strange issue from sitting for an extended period that someone had to go in and erase codes before getting it done.
      08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #34
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Carfax is unreliable at best.
Yes, I've told this story in the past, my 07 335i sustained $30k damage in an accident, and the Carfax was clean (auto check too).

Good luck OP.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #35
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
ouch! return it. Repo'ed? that damage probably happened while the original driver was beating the mother living balls off the car. (why wouldn't he, it was going to be repoed and that takes time)

I assume the dealer you purchased it from was a buy here pay here type dealership? that is another red flag. those dealers are notorious for clearing codes before hand...This car unfortunately is a ticking time bomb, not only in the case of the car but in the case of your wallet. You already mentioned you overpaid for the car, which means you are upside down even more.

I know it sucks that you waited forever for a combo you wanted but I would send it back and keep waiting. there will be a flood of M3/4s coming off lease soon.

best of luck, keep us updated!

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:14 PM   #36
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dude, you might have to file a insurance claim. That cooler is bent to hell and who knows what else is bent or torqued underneath. The carrier could have damaged it maybe why he showed up so late in the day. Dam!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #37
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

I will file an insurance claim if you cannot return the car. "Maybe" you weren't paying attention and hit a pothole. The accident damaged the cooler and the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #38
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
ouch! return it. Repo'ed? that damage probably happened while the original driver was beating the mother living balls off the car. (why wouldn't he, it was going to be repoed and that takes time)

I assume the dealer you purchased it from was a buy here pay here type dealership? that is another red flag. those dealers are notorious for clearing codes before hand...This car unfortunately is a ticking time bomb, not only in the case of the car but in the case of your wallet. You already mentioned you overpaid for the car, which means you are upside down even more.

I know it sucks that you waited forever for a combo you wanted but I would send it back and keep waiting. there will be a flood of M3/4s coming off lease soon.

best of luck, keep us updated!
Agree, try to return it. If it was modded(which the errors suggest) and red flagged at dealer you will have no warranty. Also that means it was heavily beated . Dont get in troubles in couple years ...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:11 PM   #39
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
Unfortunately, I don't have an update tonight. They were going to pull the front bumper to remove the pieces behind it and inspect everything. I was very clear to document and take pictures, so I figured I wouldn't rush them or decimate the free soda machine waiting. I fully disclosed everything I knew and thought to the service agent I'm working with and he didn't seem to care much about mods if not even get a bit excited about them. On a positive note I got to drive a nice X5 home and got to ogle at 2 M4's in the service lot. Nice YMB w/CCB and an AW. Not sure why I like the YMB more on the M4 than the M3 though. I will keep everyone updated and yes I agree it is the smart move to send it back so far.
      08-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #40
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
Talked with the local BMW dealer and received their quote. $10k is what they are estimating. That includes the OC, OC sheild, oil, air ducting, support brackets, front bumper (painted and installed), both downpipes replaced, and an alignment. Now with that being said. They didn't actually care there were downpipes and would not void a warranty if I left them so that is good. The ductwork seems to be there just not installed. The brackets were a maybe. The alignment was just because they had not seen that one was done but to me seems good. I sent it over to the Used Car dealer and am going to give them a bit to look it over before contacting them. I advised that I may be willing to source the parts and do the work for 2/3's that cost. If they don't agree to that or fixing at the dealer then it is definitely time to return the car. If they won't I will be needing a VA lawyer.
      08-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #41
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Talked with the local BMW dealer and received their quote. $10k is what they are estimating. That includes the OC, OC sheild, oil, air ducting, support brackets, front bumper (painted and installed), both downpipes replaced, and an alignment. Now with that being said. They didn't actually care there were downpipes and would not void a warranty if I left them so that is good. The ductwork seems to be there just not installed. The brackets were a maybe. The alignment was just because they had not seen that one was done but to me seems good. I sent it over to the Used Car dealer and am going to give them a bit to look it over before contacting them. I advised that I may be willing to source the parts and do the work for 2/3's that cost. If they don't agree to that or fixing at the dealer then it is definitely time to return the car. If they won't I will be needing a VA lawyer.
Seems like a huge mess, and a whole lot of trouble and money. I'd do my best to get out of the deal, no way it's worth all the hassle.
Appreciate 1
minn1914030.00
      08-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #42
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post
Seems like a huge mess, and a whole lot of trouble and money. I'd do my best to get out of the deal, no way it's worth all the hassle.
^This, that is really bad news......
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #43
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

This seems to be a straightforward case of information non-disclosure prior to sale. Any resulting sales contract should therefore be void. An 'As Is' purchase means the buyer is agreeing to the purchase based on the info provided by the seller.

I wouldn't stick with a car (or dealership) like that. And it isn't as though F8X are a rare breed. There are plenty of good, CPO'd examples available nationwide.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #44
TheONE24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
09 BMW E92  [0.00]
The dealer tried to just send me an oil cooler. I mentioned that it didn't have the shield. They offered the shield. I asked about the bumper and they would not do that. I then explained for the second time the shield attaches to the bumper and the bumper attachment holes are pulled through. No response. I then let them know that at this time I would need to have a dealer do the work due to it already being marked as wrecked and having diminished returns, or just let me return the car. Outside of that I would be contacting a consumer fraud attorney. They essentially said let's go that route.