R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
SushiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 ZCP M3

Coming Home Lights?

Hey guys!

New member here. Just picked up a 2018 ZCP F80 in sakhir orange.
Love the car so far.

I cant seem to get the coming home lights to work. I have the setting in iDrive for "Welcome Lights" turned on to 60 seconds. According to the manual I need to turn off the accessory power in the car (press start-stop button twice after parking), and then flash the high beam stalk to enable them when leaving. I tried this multiple times and cant seem to get it to work. As soon as I open the door, all the lights turn off. Does this feature need to be coded to be enabled on US cars?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
uniqueMR
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ...

Welcome and Congrats.
Make sure your light switch is in AUTO position.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

I guess wording is wrong there, instead of flash (pulling leaver) you have to push it away for activating high beam. No need to have switch in auto position nor pushing start/stop button twice. Killing the engine is enough and locking vehicle after doesn't interrupt welcome home function.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Related question - is there a way to trigger the welcome lights via remote ? On my F25 tapping the alarm button will turn on the low beams.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
SushiM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuna13 View Post
I guess wording is wrong there, instead of flash (pulling leaver) you have to push it away for activating high beam. No need to have switch in auto position nor pushing start/stop button twice. Killing the engine is enough and locking vehicle after doesn't interrupt welcome home function.
Thanks! This worked perfectly. I feel a little silly that I didn’t try pushing it away instead of towards me. I wish it would just turn on automatically like it would on my previous cars, but I guess I will need to look into coding to get that enabled.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Related question - is there a way to trigger the welcome lights via remote ? On my F25 tapping the alarm button will turn on the low beams.
Leave headlight switch on auto and whenever you press unlock, even if the vehicle is unlocked it activates. Not sure if it works in daylight, I wasn't paying attention but in dark garage it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiM3 View Post
Thanks! This worked perfectly. I feel a little silly that I didn’t try pushing it away instead of towards me. I wish it would just turn on automatically like it would on my previous cars, but I guess I will need to look into coding to get that enabled.

If I remember correctly, on all previous bmw generations even back in 90's it used to be pulling the stalk like manual states but it got changed for F8X.

I just checked in Carly there's no option to code it to auto mode, it has to be another German thing, but I know what you mean, my Ford does it as long as headlight switch is in auto mode and without pulling the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
SushiM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuna13 View Post
If I remember correctly, on all previous bmw generations even back in 90's it used to be pulling the stalk like manual states but it got changed for F8X.

I just checked in Carly there's no option to code it to auto mode, it has to be another German thing, but I know what you mean, my Ford does it as long as headlight switch is in auto mode and without pulling the stalk.
Ah yeah, this is my first BMW! Still figuring out a lot of things related to the iDrive and car systems. I came from Audi, which would trigger them automatically when headlights are in auto as well.
Appreciate 0