Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-23-2021, 01:06 AM   #1
RepLA
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2

BMW Tire and Wheel protection

Hi all, I saw this has been talked about before, but couldn't find any recent ones (just in case anything's changed). So what's your guys experience with taking your wheels to BMW for curb rash? I have the wheel protection and have two wheels scratched due to a pot hole I hit on the road, but the tire itself was not damaged. Did the wheel protection give you guys a hard time?

Also, have you guys had issues with the warranty not covering your tires if you get nails in them? My wheel protection is about to expire and I need new tires, so I'm thinking my tires are going to run over some nails soon
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLA View Post
Hi all, I saw this has been talked about before, but couldn't find any recent ones (just in case anything's changed). So what's your guys experience with taking your wheels to BMW for curb rash? I have the wheel protection and have two wheels scratched due to a pot hole I hit on the road, but the tire itself was not damaged. Did the wheel protection give you guys a hard time?

Also, have you guys had issues with the warranty not covering your tires if you get nails in them? My wheel protection is about to expire and I need new tires, so I'm thinking my tires are going to run over some nails soon

I was told from my Sales guy to not get "lucky" and roll over all of them, and don't wait until it's too worn. This protection doesn't cover scratches, only if the wheel dented. I haven't used BMW's protection plan as it's an over priced version of Americas Tire/Discount Tires protection plan. 200 vs 800ish?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
RepLA
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I was told from my Sales guy to not get "lucky" and roll over all of them, and don't wait until it's too worn. This protection doesn't cover scratches, only if the wheel dented. I haven't used BMW's protection plan as it's an over priced version of Americas Tire/Discount Tires protection plan. 200 vs 800ish?
Gotcha, I'm not sure if theres even a way they can tell it was intentional or not, I assumed as long as you had a nail in it, they will fix it regardless lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepLA View Post
Gotcha, I'm not sure if theres even a way they can tell it was intentional or not, I assumed as long as you had a nail in it, they will fix it regardless lol.
Just remember, the middle part is repairable. Shoulder is not.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #5
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

I've used the tire/ wheel warranty and had one flat and two tires with nails. They replaced mine with new tires each time.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 12:04 AM   #6
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

It will be quite easy to get a new tire as long as there is a nail in it. Getting a new wheel will be very hard. Dents, bends, bulges, chips and most cracks will only be repaired. They push back very hard on this. You won't get a new wheel unless big chunks of the rim are missing. IMO, the tire and wheel protection package from the dealer is a theft!
      05-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

The damage needs to make your car unsafe for a claim. I hit a pothole and it bubbled the sidewall...that was covered.

My SA also said you have to be very persistent that "that's not safe to drive on" if you do hurt a rim.