R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-14-2023, 10:56 PM   #1
-nexus-
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 Competition

No bass in F82 M4 with HK

I have a 2018 F82 M4 Competition with the HK system. I have found the bass to be basically non-existent. I have messed with the EQ and other settings to some improvement, but still nowhere near what I want.

My previous car was a N55 135i with the HK system and the bass in that is the best I've ever heard in a car without a boot/trunk sub. I had expectations the M4 would be just as good, but it's absolutely pathetic to the point that I think there is something wrong with the system.

I can hear some bass from the underseat woofers up around 60% volume, but by then the treble and general volume is too loud to be enjoyable.

I have trawled the forums here and it seems there's different experiences everywhere. I am tossing up about BavSound Ghost speakers to replace the HK woofers but I am not confident it will make the difference I want.

So my question is, are there any owners who feel their M4 with HK has basically no bass at reasonable listening volumes?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 04:39 AM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

The HK Units (actually all) have sounded worse in virtually every series and/or LCI Update.

The issue continues to be you cannot change the laws of physics and the enclosed spaces for the woofers to create the low frequency bass notes accurately (below the driver seats) just get smaller and smaller. Think of it trying to do 0-60 in 4 seconds with a 200hp ICE engine. Just not possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
-nexus-
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 Competition

How frustrating.
Appreciate 0