Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #45
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrduder View Post
Might be because it has 100 less hp and torque that the tune has???
I have 120 over stock and hitting the roadcourse all the time and I see no major issues to warrant going aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:26 AM   #46
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Question: Do I need to pre order the exchanger only right? The tune don't need a pre order....?

Last edited by LOW4LYF; 09-22-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:23 AM   #47
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Congrats Dinan, good gains(+warranty coverage) at fair pricing! Can't wait for spring to arrive.
      09-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #48
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecoy View Post
Do you mind shareing what are the core specs?
dimensions, # of rows, fin / tube used / brazing technique?
- AWE has published some of this, but don't see any specs with your listing
I'll see what I can get out of engineering. That said, you guys quoted/bid on it so you already have most of the answers somewhere. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
Question: Do I need to pre order the exchanger only right? The tune don't need a pre order....?
The tune is also technically listed as pre-order as without the heat exchanger its pretty pointless but we can ship a stage 3 DINANTRONICS kit if it was ordered. The kits are all just in stock items (ECU and harness) that need to be programmed so those can be done at a moments notice. The dealers also have access to the stage 3 on the software servers now so they can program a blank box or upgrade a previous stage in the field if they so desired.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #49
M3anPower
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124
Looks like a great package. Could Dinan provide insight into how your heat exchanger compares with the AWE Cold front? Any differences of note?
Looking at AWE website, AWE heat exchanger is double the size of Dinan's heat exchanger.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #50
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDecoy View Post
Do you mind shareing what are the core specs?
dimensions, # of rows, fin / tube used / brazing technique?
- AWE has published some of this, but don't see any specs with your listing
Dimensions: Overall = 23.13" x 17.25" x 2.38", Core = 21.00" x 16.41" x 1.75"
Fin/Tube: 41 coolant rows (2 tubes per row, so 82 total tubes), 42 ambient channels (will not divulge fin specs)
Brazing: TIG Welded

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1990 View Post
Looking at AWE website, AWE heat exchanger is double the size of Dinan's heat exchanger.
No. Percentages are all about the words tied to those percentages. We quote our volume as an increase in CORE volume. AWE on the other hand is quoting in terms of FLUID volume (includes the tanks I assume). I have asked engineering to crunch the numbers for fluid volume but they were unsure if they took a volume measurement of the stock tanks. From pictures it appears our tanks are also the largest on the market but that is just me winging it from pictures and not based on actual hard facts/measurements.

There are quite a number of heat exchangers on the market if you look hard enough. In comparison to those available in general:

1. We are not as thick as some (short by a 2.5 mm at most) but again that was done intentionally in an effort to keep flow to the radiator itself adequate.
2. Dinan is the widest core/unit on the market.
3. Height of all of those available is basically the same.
4. We use rubber mounts for vibration isolation and are the only one to do so that I can tell.
5. Dinan is one of only a few that use machined connections for the lines themselves. No cutting of the factory lines for slip fits or the like.
6. Dinan is arguably the most cost effective variant on the market.
7. Dinan does not offer a screen or guard as an option like most of the others.
Appreciate 3
      09-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #51
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dimensions: Overall = 23.13" x 17.25" x 2.38", Core = 21.00" x 16.41" x 1.75"
Fin/Tube: 41 coolant rows (2 tubes per row, so 82 total tubes), 42 ambient channels (will not divulge fin specs)
Brazing: TIG Welded

No. Percentages are all about the words tied to those percentages. We quote our volume as an increase in CORE volume. AWE on the other hand is quoting in terms of FLUID volume (includes the tanks I assume). I have asked engineering to crunch the numbers for fluid volume but they were unsure if they took a volume measurement of the stock tanks. From pictures it appears our tanks are also the largest on the market but that is just me winging it from pictures and not based on actual hard facts/measurements.

There are quite a number of heat exchangers on the market if you look hard enough. In comparison to those available in general:

1. We are not as thick as some (short by a 2.5 mm at most) but again that was done intentionally in an effort to keep flow to the radiator itself adequate.
2. Dinan is the widest core/unit on the market.
3. Height of all of those available is basically the same.
4. We use rubber mounts for vibration isolation and are the only one to do so that I can tell.
5. Dinan is one of only a few that use machined connections for the lines themselves. No cutting of the factory lines for slip fits or the like.
6. Dinan is arguably the most cost effective variant on the market.
7. Dinan does not offer a screen or guard as an option like most of the others.
In your opinion, do you think a screen or guard is needed for long term durability?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #52
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
In your opinion, do you think a screen or guard is needed for long term durability?
Personally, no. The stock unit doesn't come with a screen guard. Intercoolers in general dont have a screen guard (same basic thing). In the course of driving normally stuff will come in and dent the thing just liek they do with an intercooler and radiator. Its the nature of its location and how it needs to be exposed to function. Even with a screen some stuff will get past and ding it up. Just an item you take your lumps with in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #53
04cobra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Does anyone know what the Dinan stage 3 package puts down to the rear wheels? Seems like everything is at the crank #'s. But I could be misreading. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #54
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04cobra View Post
Does anyone know what the Dinan stage 3 package puts down to the rear wheels? Seems like everything is at the crank #'s. But I could be misreading. Thanks
Depending on correction factor used, if any, etc you would be seeing ~490-500 WHP and ~500-510 WTQ.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #55
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Depending on correction factor used, if any, etc you would be seeing ~490-500 WHP and ~500-510 WTQ.
Without the S2 pkg, can't see how 500/500 at the wheels is going to do much good on a car that already has "slip sliding away" issues bone stock.

Any chance of turning that 10% into a 20% off for the holidays?
      09-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #56
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
for the cp car (?)
      09-22-2016, 06:08 PM   #57
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Without the S2 pkg, can't see how 500/500 at the wheels is going to do much good on a car that already has "slip sliding away" issues bone stock.

Any chance of turning that 10% into a 20% off for the holidays?
Agree but once you get into 3rd/4th traction becomes a bit more manageable at least. The F8x biggest problem is establishing traction in those low gears. She likes to spin and slide away when pressed. Unless you are really good at feathering the throttle its just a lot of wheel spin. Onces its rolling its fun, can be a dangerous fun, but its much more manageable. Suspension, tire and wheel upgraded help as well.

In regards to a sale...Dinan hasn't offered a sale since October of 2014. That is not changing anytime soon. Simply put Dinan does not wish to compete with its own distribution channels as it just creates a rift and a loss of said distribution.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #58
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
for the cp car (?)
Add 15-20 to HP.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #59
04cobra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Add 15-20 to HP.
Just curious why the CP would add additional HP, what mechanically in the engine changed from the non-CP to CP version to allow for additional HP. My assumption is that the CP was really just BMW adding their own small tune, but nothing in the engine changed (i.e. stronger/bigger parts). In theory the non-CP should be just as tunable as the CP.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #60
P_RsM4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
This great stuff! Getting my install scheduled!
Standing by for your review of the stage 3!
Appreciate 1
Money25361586.00
      09-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious why the CP would add additional HP, what mechanically in the engine changed from the non-CP to CP version to allow for additional HP. My assumption is that the CP was really just BMW adding their own small tune, but nothing in the engine changed (i.e. stronger/bigger parts). In theory the non-CP should be just as tunable as the CP.
I'll just copy and paste a response from a previous thread with the same question...

Underlying hardware is the same but the factory mapping is not. Instead of just applying the same base M4 tune the tune was changed to account for those changes in the stock mapping (boost and ignition targets amongst others).

Your next question will be, "couldn't you apply the same CP mapping to a non-CP car for the same or similar results" ... technically yes but drivability would suffer and the car would ultimately be making less power. Neither of which the end user wants.
Appreciate 1
BMW953.00
      09-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #62
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

When is Stage 4 coming out? : )

Also, any chance Dinan does a discount for current Stage 1 or 2 owners?
Appreciate 1
FLOSS M385.50
      09-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #63
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR930 View Post
When is Stage 4 coming out? : )

Also, any chance Dinan does a discount for current Stage 1 or 2 owners?
First turbo testing didn't go as well as planned (need a new turbo as our first go at it was too small and the bigger one we had on hand in case it was needed was machined wrong) so stage 4 is going to be further out then expected although we are still aiming for around a SEMA (early November) announcement there. Fingers crossed.

The factory does not offer discounts. Disrupts distribution. If a dealer wants to offer something. That's their business.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #64
04cobra
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'll just copy and paste a response from a previous thread with the same question...

Underlying hardware is the same but the factory mapping is not. Instead of just applying the same base M4 tune the tune was changed to account for those changes in the stock mapping (boost and ignition targets amongst others).

Your next question will be, "couldn't you apply the same CP mapping to a non-CP car for the same or similar results" ... technically yes but drivability would suffer and the car would ultimately be making less power. Neither of which the end user wants.
Ah, good to know thank you. I currently have a JB4, but it looks like Dinan is coming out with more and more parts for the M3, that would justify my reason to switch. I just need to justify the high price tag to my better half
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #65
TR930
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 TB/AB

I am excited to add the stage 3 along with the Dinan exhaust at the end of this year. Great job, I will still have 3 years left on the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #66
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Awesome news ! I cant wait for my local Dinan dealer to get their shipment.
I have been patiently waiting to get to stage 3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0