R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-22-2022, 03:09 PM   #1
Bon F80
Instagram: matte_f80_competition
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 ZCP 6-Speed

KW Clubsport Clearance Issue

I'm anticipating a clearance issue between my KW Clubsport and the 10" wide ET25 front wheels that I'm planning to get for my F80 for use during track days.

As per Apex's fitment guide, 5mm spacers are required at the front to clear the KW Clubsport. But this would reduce the fender clearance that I also need (I don't want to raise the height of my car if possible).

I've come across a thread for the E90/2 platform, where swapping the front KW springs with springs that are shorter while maintaining the maximum spring travel as much as possible was identified as the solution:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973188

Wonder if anyone has done the same spring swap on F80/2 platform.

Thanks.
Street: Michelin PS4S F: 265/30-20 R: 285/30-20
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:18 PM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Slight OT: how do you like the 2-way KW CS compared to stock?
      01-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon F80 View Post
I'm anticipating a clearance issue between my KW Clubsport and the 10" wide ET25 front wheels that I'm planning to get for my F80 for use during track days.

As per Apex's fitment guide, 5mm spacers are required at the front to clear the KW Clubsport. But this would reduce the fender clearance that I also need (I don't want to raise the height of my car if possible).

I've come across a thread for the E90/2 platform, where swapping the front KW springs with springs that are shorter while maintaining the maximum spring travel as much as possible was identified as the solution:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=973188

Wonder if anyone has done the same spring swap on F80/2 platform.

Thanks.
If there are enough threads for the collar to sit above the tire, you should be able to go with the shorter spring. But there are several factors involved depending on your: ride height, spring rate, spring length, and whether you need a helper spring or not. Basically, you need to find the balance of clearing the tire while never bottoming out the spring's compression before hitting the bump stops. On the flip-side, you don't want to bottom out the shock without really engaging the main spring (meaning you're too low).

KW uses 60mm springs. You have many options from Eibach ERS, Swift, etc. Eibach gives specs on how tall the spring is fully compressed, so that could help in calculating the shock's stroke vs the spring's compression ratio. I believe Swift uses less coils, so they can compress further before bottoming out — but again, you should do the math.
Appreciate 1
Bon F80127.00
      01-22-2022, 09:04 PM   #4
Bon F80
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
swagon , if you want a low stance, it's perfect - I can go quite low for spirited driving on the street (minimal rubbing) with still quite a bit of thread left (especially the front). For street use, it's definitely not too much rougher than stock ZCP settings. For track day use, personaly there's still too much roll (stock sways) and quite a bit more compression under heavy braking than I'd like, and the adjustment on rebound and compression doesn't seem to give a dramatic difference. Nevertheless, I haven't tried another coilover on the same plaftorm for comparison.

As a side note, the external reservoirs on the rear leave too little room for height adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #5
Bon F80
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
If there are enough threads for the collar to sit above the tire, you should be able to go with the shorter spring. But there are several factors involved depending on your: ride height, spring rate, spring length, and whether you need a helper spring or not. Basically, you need to find the balance of clearing the tire while never bottoming out the spring's compression before hitting the bump stops. On the flip-side, you don't want to bottom out the shock without really engaging the main spring (meaning you're too low).

KW uses 60mm springs. You have many options from Eibach ERS, Swift, etc. Eibach gives specs on how tall the spring is fully compressed, so that could help in calculating the shock's stroke vs the spring's compression ratio. I believe Swift uses less coils, so they can compress further before bottoming out — but again, you should do the math.
Thx @x.shell. I've read through the whole thread for the E90/2 platform. It would be great if someone has gone through the same analysis, identified the right springs and proved that they work for the F80/2 platform on track then it would be ideal for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #6
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon F80 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
swagon , if you want a low stance, it's perfect - I can go quite low for spirited driving on the street (minimal rubbing) with still quite a bit of thread left (especially the front). For street use, it's definitely not too much rougher than stock ZCP settings. For track day use, personaly there's still too much roll (stock sways) and quite a bit more compression under heavy braking than I'd like, and the adjustment on rebound and compression doesn't seem to give a dramatic difference. Nevertheless, I haven't tried another coilover on the same plaftorm for comparison.

As a side note, the external reservoirs on the rear leave too little room for height adjustment.
Thanks, I'm looking mostly for better performance on road and track as I track the car several times a year (on stock size tyres). I just found a slightly used set for sale for a good price, and most Clubsport KWs are ordered in the 3-way variant. You're the first one I've seen with the 2-ways on.
      11-21-2023, 05:25 AM   #7
JQ94_F32
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i

Hi, what setup did you eventually go with?
Appreciate 0