proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #177
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Just unplugged the ASD in the trunk.

Has anyone who has done this also flashed/tuned their car? If so any issues with leaving the ASD unplugged the whole time?
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 09:22 AM   #178
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Anyone?
My understanding with coding at least (FDL coding) is that if a module is unplugged E-sys will not let you program anything else. Not sure if flashing uses E-sys bu if it does, plug it back in to be safe, then unplug once flashed.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #179
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Just unplugged the ASD in the trunk.

Has anyone who has done this also flashed/tuned their car? If so any issues with leaving the ASD unplugged the whole time?
Anyone?
I've been told that when reflagging you are better off plugging the thing back in for 20 minutes until the flash is done. Not verified but I've heard that. That's the only reason I didn't pull the thing out, shit on it, Light it on fire and then toss it into a wood chipper.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #180
jedi-knight83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430d GC, XKR, Clio 172

Sort of ASD related question... but are the speaker wires that come from the HU to the ASD and back again just part of the normal speaker wire loom? IE can I tap into them and use them for an amp, basically the same as running my own speaker wires down the car to the trunk.

I've got an M4 with base audio but the ASD has a full loom of speaker wires going to it.

Last edited by jedi-knight83; 12-23-2021 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:41 PM   #181
Mayner
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
It's been a while since I've posted anything in the M3 sections around here, but I came across a situation today that resulted in some research and info that I'm thinking some of you might appreciate.

Most of you are probably aware the Active Sound Design can be coded out via INPA or other non-dealership coding systems. This is a good long term solution if you really don't like it. Unfortunately, BMW doesn't supply any coding options for ASD on the ISTA/P programming/coding system at the dealership level. And for many owners, I'm thinking the coding option is probably a little inconvenient and a bit of a gamble.

Today, I had an M3 customer that wanted me to look into options for eliminating the ASD function in her car. After looking at coding options and studying the wiring diagrams for the audio system, I simply unplugged the ASD control module. The system is now deactivated, but all other audio functions are normal. I did a few back to back drives with the module unplugged and functioning normally, and the difference is noticeable. I'm not going to say better or worse, but definitely noticeable.

Now, I think this is only a solution for cars with the Harmon Kardon sound system. The reason being that the ASD module is integrated into the system differently depending on audio system level. The H/K amplifier gets signals via hardwire from the ASD module, as well as regular stereo sound from the head unit via the fiber optic most-bus. The amp mixes the tones and outputs them to the speakers. On a basic stereo, the ASD module is actually in series between the head unit and the amplifier. So simply unplugging it would probably kill the entire audio system (like a fuse pull).

With the ASD module being fairly easy to access, this isn't a tough job. It's just below the left tail light in the trunk. You do need to at least partially remove the left trunk interior trim panel to get to it, but there's just a few plastic clips holding it in.

I didn't think to take any pics when I was doing the job, but hopefully this info will help some of you DIYers who want to play around with or easily deactivate this system. While it isn't as elegant a solution as coding, it can be put back to stock in a few minutes if need be.
Your right with standard system, unplugging kills all audio - any other options for std audio system?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 10:11 AM   #182
EezyBeezy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F[am]80 M3

Looks like i'll be doing this soon for a better sounding HK audio system, quiet cabin when I need it to be quiet, and natural raw vehicle sounds.
Appreciate 0