Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

11-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Blackvue 900DS dashcam + cellink neo on F80

Hi guys, just installed this setup on my F80.

My brother's M2 was recently a victim of hit and run, and also my own M3 got hit whilst I was unloading the boot and the bastard tried to drive away!!! So I think this is essential especially if you park in public places from time to time. Thought this post might be of interest to some as it took me a while to collate all the info about what to use, how to install etc.

Hardware:
Blackvue 900DS 2ch front and rear (autobarn ~$530 when they had 30% off and ebay 5% extra)

Samsung pro endurance micro SD 128gb (~$70 price matched at Officeworks to some online shop I-tech)

Cellink neo battery (~$330 dashcamsaustralia)

A few notes about the install:
I installed it myself, took about 2 hours and I like this sort of stuff. It is not that hard and it would be pretty hard to break something doing this!

I decided to use Cellink neo battery as this means the dashcam is not wired to use the car's OEM battery for parking mode. The Cellink charges whilst driving from the fusebox, and then powers the dashcam when the car is off for parking mode. It lasts about 18 hours on parking mode from a full charge. Full charge time for the Cellink is about 40 minutes. There is an app that you can connect to the battery via bluetooth that gives info about charge time/usage time etc. The Cellink battery option was important to me as it means it doesn't drain the car's OEM battery for parking mode.

Fuse 125 is what I used to connect the Cellink battery to after I did plenty of research on the forums. It is a switchable fuse that people have been using on their F80/82 which means it is powered only when the ignition is on (and for a short time after the car turns off). You need to use an add-a-fuse which is included with the Cellink neo battery.

*** I have switched the fuse to 145 to connect the Cellink battery now as this switchable fuse powers off immediately after the ignition is off, unlike fuse 125 that stays on for a few minutes!***
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1568426

I ran the power cord on one side of the car, and the rear view coaxial cord on the other side. It is hard to stuff 2 wires in the same space in the headliner.

I blu-tacked the cameras as a test first to make sure they were oriented correctly before committing with the double sided tape. That was an excellent idea as it turned out that in the middle of my rear view camera's lens was a line from the element of the rear window demister!

The Cellink battery fits nicely in the boot under the liner next to the puncture repair kit.

The Blackvue oem SD cards are expensive. I bought an endurance Samsung one for less than half the price and it works fine. Make sure it is endurance class 10 as I think these are designed for multiple writing and re-writing, and also have a larger temperature operating range.

Overall a great product, albeit slightly expensive. Resolution is very clear. The wifi connection to download the videos to your phone is a good feature but you have to be in the car. The cloud feature although a great idea, doesn't work unless your car is close to a wireless router, or you have a wifi dongle sitting in your car with constant internet connection.

Cheers, hope it is of use to some!

Last edited by im_dave; 12-30-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 6
      11-18-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Perfect info Dave... thanks for the post...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
WatashiEd
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 DCT

Good work, going to order a set and do mine too!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Heyeug
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for the info. Thinking of doing this too. Any pictures on how you ran the cables front and back?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyeug View Post
Thanks for the info. Thinking of doing this too. Any pictures on how you ran the cables front and back?
Basically can't see any of the wiring - I'll try and take some pics to show where the wiring is located. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Heyeug
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
Basically can't see any of the wiring - I'll try and take some pics to sow where the wiring is located. Cheers
Cheers. Yea I want to see how you hid the wires from the front cam to the rear and from the rear cam to the boot. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 02:18 AM   #7
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is some pictures of the wiring:

I mounted the dashcam just to the left side of the rear view mirror. I tried to mount it in the black dots on the edge of the windshield to hide it as much as possible. As you can see, one wire goes left (power) and one goes right (connection to rear view)

There is a space between the windshield and the headliner on the roof that you can tuck the wire into easily. When it comes to the corner in the A pillar you have to tuck it in the between the headliner seams - you can push the wire in to the space or use a trim removal tool to wedge it open to help. After that it tucks under the rubber weather strip which lifts up easily.

I found it difficult to squeeze 2 sets of wires between the trim between the front and rear doors in the B pillar, but 1 wire easily fits. Hence I routed one wire the other side.

When you get to the rear of the car, you can route the wire either through the trim in the C pillar and up to the rear windshield (for the rear camera connection) or down the side of the seat to the boot/fuse area.

There is a lot of space to 'stuff' excess wire behind the C pillar trim adjacent to the rear window. This is where I placed excess wire for the rear camera connection. The excess wire for the power I just left in the boot.

You have to put the rear seats down to route the power wire along the side of the trim.

You can then continue the wire under the carpet trim of the boot to the fuse area.

I routed the power wire on the left hand passenger side of the car and the rear camera connection on the right hand driver side of the car. Many people said they routed both wires on one side but I found it difficult to fit 2 wires between the trim pieces in the B pillar especially. Another trick I found is to un-tangle and straighten the wires before you start! Enjoy!
Appreciate 4
SherM4n630.00
Ghosn463.50
Moris3.00
      11-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Heyeug
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers Dave! With the B and C Pillars, did you have to remove the trim? or did you just stuff the wires in?
Also you bought 2x Cellink Neo batteries? One for front and the other for rear? It looks like there is only 1 output per battery? Do they have a battery pack that powers two cams?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cheers Dave! With the B and C Pillars, did you have to remove the trim? or did you just stuff the wires in?
Also you bought 2x Cellink Neo batteries? One for front and the other for rear? It looks like there is only 1 output per battery? Do they have a battery pack that powers two cams?
No dramas. Didn't have to remove any of the trim. You just stuff the wires in and the trim tool that comes with the blackvue helps.

You only need one battery that powers the front. The cable that connects the front to the rear provides the power.

The second set of cam/card/cellink battery in the pic was for my wife's car!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
Heyeug
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No dramas. Didn't have to remove any of the trim. You just stuff the wires in and the trim tool that comes with the blackvue helps.

You only need one battery that powers the front. The cable that connects the front to the rear provides the power.

Ahh.. lol! I was thinking why you doubled up!

Hopefully I can score one with this black friday sale!!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
Shanh81
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 & 2016 F15

Garage List
2020 Porsche GT4  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Ahh.. lol! I was thinking why you doubled up!

Hopefully I can score one with this black friday sale!!
Have you seen any on Black Friday sale?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #12
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

For those of you that are interested - another forum member has suggested to use Fuse 145, which switches off immediately after the ignition is off, hence there is no drain on the battery at all. Fuse 125 stays powered for 5-10 minutes after the ignition is off. I did not have any issues using Fuse 125, but to avoid any potential long term issues with the battery, Fuse 145 may be better suited.

Fuse 145 being used.

Cheers

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:38 PM   #13
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I see you also swapped from the 20 amp fuse to the 15 amp fuse to protect your Cellink Neo battery as I've recommended. Good job!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #14
Machinist
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
For those of you that are interested - another forum member has suggested to use Fuse 145, which switches off immediately after the ignition is off, hence there is no drain on the battery at all. Fuse 125 stays powered for 5-10 minutes after the ignition is off. I did not have any issues using Fuse 125, but to avoid any potential long term issues with the battery, Fuse 145 may be better suited.

Fuse 145 being used.

Cheers

Dave
Hi Dave, great dash cam location on the left side of the rear view mirror

How is the view of the road at that top left corner ?
Do you have an image or video?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #15
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Thanks for the diy, going to use this to install same setup
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
Thanks for the diy, going to use this to install same setup
Good luck with the install. Let me know if you need any help.

Here are some pics from the front and back - screen shots from the video recordings.

The resolution of the video recording is better than these pics as these are screen shots. You can zoom up to the number plates without any issue on the video recording.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
domino_z1232.00
      03-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #17
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Thanks mate

I can only install the front cam as I optioned the rear blind on mine and do use it often
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:08 AM   #18
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Great thread @im_dave!
I’ll be referring back to this for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 01:10 AM   #19
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Quote:

Here are some pics from the front and back - screen shots from the video recordings.

The resolution of the video recording is better than these pics as these are screen shots. You can zoom up to the number plates without any issue on the video recording.

Cheers
I was looking at dashcams today.

The Blackvue does look good, do you have a Youtube video or can you email me one to look at?

Is it good for drive day videos?

Also what does the rear camera look like?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:19 AM   #20
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Quote:

Cheers
I was looking at dashcams today.

The Blackvue does look good, do you have a Youtube video or can you email me one to look at?

Is it good for drive day videos?

Also what does the rear camera look like?

thanks
Hey no probs - what's your email? Don't have a YouTube channel unfortunately! The rear is Full HD, not UHD. I can send you vids of both.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #21
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Cheers I will PM you.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:48 PM   #22
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Hi Dave,
Out of curiosity does it default to parking mode if still working off battery?

So you run it on parking mode settings?

Doing this in next week or 2.... (your write up is awesome)

D
Appreciate 0