ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-19-2021, 03:49 AM   #1
BishopS0411
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 Competition

Lowering Advice

Morning all,

Picked up my 2018 M4 Competition just before Christmas; my first M-car. And despite not being able to really enjoy it properly cause of this filthy weather, I'm loving it!

As well as Bootmod3 and AA equal length mid-pipes, I'm planning a few cosmetic changes.

Lowering has never really appealed me, as I always felt as though messing with what BMW have spent thousands of highly experienced hours on, is likely to have a negative affect on handling/tyre wear, etc. However, having seen a lot of 'dropped' M4's on here, I'm becoming tempted.

So I'm looking for advice/feedback based on personal experience.

Should I consider it, or am I heading down a path of addiction/no return!?

TIA,

BishopS0411 (Steve)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 03:58 AM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopS0411 View Post
Morning all,

Lowering has never really appealed me, as I always felt as though messing with what BMW have spent thousands of highly experienced hours on, is likely to have a negative affect on handling/tyre wear, etc. However, having seen a lot of 'dropped' M4's on here, I'm becoming tempted.
The standard springs and dampers fitted to M4s are pretty shit though.

Lots of people fit springs to get a decent cosmetic drop or if you're like me fit a set of coilovers to vastly improve the handling.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Quote:
Morning all,

The standard springs and dampers fitted to M4s are pretty shit though.

Lots of people fit springs to get a decent cosmetic drop or if you're like me fit a set of coilovers to vastly improve the handling.
^^^^^^ This exactly.
      02-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Morning all,

Picked up my 2018 M4 Competition just before Christmas; my first M-car. And despite not being able to really enjoy it properly cause of this filthy weather, I'm loving it!

As well as Bootmod3 and AA equal length mid-pipes, I'm planning a few cosmetic changes.

So I'm looking for advice/feedback based on personal experience.

Should I consider it, or am I heading down a path of addiction/no return!?

TIA,

BishopS0411 (Steve)

You were heading down that path as soon as you got the car!
It's a nice path though, can just get a little expensive if you let it.
Luckily, I feel I'm nearly at the end of said path. Just got my AP's to go on, which should be just about it...
      02-20-2021, 12:47 AM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Despite spending much time and money in development, cars are built to a price, amd in BMWs case that doesn't extend to decent dampers, unlike Porsche for example.

I wouldn't lower an M4 just for cosmetics, as the dampers aren't good enough to cope with it. It makes the ride worse immediately, and tends to prematurely wear the dampers.

So if you do go down this route just go the whole hog and get coilovers, or some Bilstein B6 damptronics.

The car needs better suspension a lot more than it needs more power.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2021, 01:56 AM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

MP HAS! Noticeable handling perception improvement and BMW designed. Not a replacement for a full coilover system if you’re looking for max performance. Having said that, I’ve read here that guys use is on track and it pairs up well with the OE shocks in that context. Below is a levels-adjusted version of my profile pic so you can see the ride height at close to max drop (90% front, 95% rear).

Edit: My bad y’all, didn’t see this was a UK regional thread! I’ll see my way out.
Attached Images

Last edited by RugbyBro; 02-20-2021 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
BishopS0411
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post

You were heading down that path as soon as you got the car!
It's a nice path though, can just get a little expensive if you let it.
Luckily, I feel I'm nearly at the end of said path. Just got my AP's to go on, which should be just about it...
BUGGER! Don't you hate it when someone that doesn't know you from Adam calls you out on something within seconds!?
Appreciate 1
t5pilot974.50
      03-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
Yas_Man
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Speed Yellow M4 Comp Pack

I've had 3 M4s, an M3 and I've now got an M4CS.

I've used the MSS kit, the MP HAS kit, AC Schnitzer springs and Eibachs.

IMHO, for cosmetic drop, the ACS springs are a winner, they are slightly softer than the comp pack springs, drop is perfect.

MP HAS a great but are a little too soft for twisty b road blasting.

The MSS kit is great, very stiff, handles very well but the ride is hard, harder than comp springs.

I've only had Eibachs on the CS because they are the closest spec to the spring rate of the CS providing you buy the V1 Euro spec springs.

Having had a few heavily modified fast road cars, I'd only fit coilovers if you're spending proper money on something like Ohlins, AST etc.

I would not bother with coilovers that have EDC, as a car well set up on high spec coilovers, should be great all round (just need to be stiffened up for the od track day)

If it was my car, I'd go sensible springs for a mild drop or if you want out and out performance than Ohlins Road and Track coilovers.

You can check out my Insta @StoneColdCS to see my cars with the different spring set ups if you want an idea of real world drops.

This is my CS on Eibachs

This was my m3 on MP HAS

This is my old M4 on ACS Springs

Last edited by Yas_Man; 03-02-2021 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
BishopS0411
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas_Man View Post
I've had 3 M4s, an M3 and I've now got an M4CS.

I've used the MSS kit, the MP HAS kit, AC Schnitzer springs and Eibachs.

IMHO, for cosmetic drop, the ACS springs are a winner, they are slightly softer than the comp pack springs, drop is perfect.

MP HAS a great but are a little too soft for twisty b road blasting.

The MSS kit is great, very stiff, handles very well but the ride is hard, harder than comp springs.

I've only had Eibachs on the CS because they are the closest spec to the spring rate of the CS providing you buy the V1 Euro spec springs.

Having had a few heavily modified fast road cars, I'd only fit coilovers if you're spending proper money on something like Ohlins, AST etc.

I would not bother with coilovers that have EDC, as a car well set up on high spec coilovers, should be great all round (just need to be stiffened up for the od track day)

If it was my car, I'd go sensible springs for a mild drop or if you want out and out performance than Ohlins Road and Track coilovers.

You can check out my Insta @StoneColdCS to see my cars with the different spring set ups if you want an idea of real world drops.

This is my CS on Eibachs

This was my m3 on MP HAS

This is my old M4 on ACS Springs
Thanks yas_man, really appreciate your feedback!
Appreciate 0