BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #45
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
having owned two current generation STI's i'll weigh in.... I love them, and yes, they are fun as hell, and much more analog than the M2 or F80.

@ntgarage44 , i'm really surprised you didn't mention the steering on the STI. It was one of my favorite things about the STI and what I missed most in moving to an M2.

the other thing with the STI that I didn't see mentioned is resale/residual. it is very high and works in your favor if you're buying or leasing a new one.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, but it was a limited test drive and I didn't really get a chance to feel it out in a suburban grid. But good point. The review was basically what was most obvious with 7-10 minutes of seat time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So my curiosity got the best of me, and I found a 2019 that I liked, just came off the truck, 4 miles on it.

MSRP $41,2xx, Dealer price $36977

For my 2017 M3, base, 513m wheels, manual, cloth seats, cf roof, 8k miles, they offered me $49k for trade in.

After all is said and done, I'd be getting a ~$12k check back and the STI.

Any opinions on my trade in value?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:20 AM   #47
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
So my curiosity got the best of me, and I found a 2019 that I liked, just came off the truck, 4 miles on it.

For my 2017 M3, base, 513m wheels, manual, cloth seats, cf roof, 8k miles, they offered me $49k for trade in.

Quote:

Post pictures when you snag the STI!

Sounds like STI better fit.

8,000 miles on a 2017; wow that car could theoretically not even had an oil change.

Get the STI; $5k in mods bank the $7k
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #48
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Post pictures when you snag the STI!

Sounds like STI better fit.

8,000 miles on a 2017; wow that car could theoretically not even had an oil change.

Get the STI; $5k in mods bank the $7k
Yeah, I'll definitely need it to delete the wing and swap out those ugly mesh wheels haha. Thinking of some volk ze40s or last gen BBS forged wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:16 AM   #49
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So just a quick update:

After getting through about half the paperwork and almost 2 hours of being at the dealership, when it finally came time to head into finance office, they told me that the person who writes checks left for the day and they'd give me some piece of paper saying they owe me a ~$12,000 check the next day. I walked. Wasted 2 hours of my time, when I notified them that morning to get everything together and I wanted to get in and out ASAP. Could have been an honest mistake, or just more dealer games, but in the end, I showed up prepared to make it happen, and they didn't.

After sleeping on it for a few nights, I'm almost certain I changed my mind on the car. STI is a fun car, but after thinking of all the time I'm going to spend modding/tuning/troubleshooting eventually, I just don't know if it's time I can invest in anymore, regardless if I find it entertaining to do so or not.

There's a lot to love with just having a ~430 whp monster that is the M3 that's stock and ready to go as-is. I think I'm a Bilstein B16 Damptronic kit away from having the perfect car for me, and due to having ~1.5 years of warranty left and how low my mileage is, I figure I have at least 2 more years to enjoy the car headache-free and trade for something else after that. Based on my current mileage, I don't think I'll even break 20k miles by then.

Looks like I'm here to stay for a bit
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      07-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #50
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Or maybe S209?
      07-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #51
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Or maybe S209?
I spoke with every dealer around me, and there's already bidding wars for over sticker for them. They're just too limited in production to justify, and I refuse to pay over sticker for a car. I also really don't like the tacked on fender flares it has or the wing. I'd maybe jump for it if it was like a $5000 option to the 2020 model and was more or less regularly available, but I'm not that hardcore of a Subaru enthusiast to consider one at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #52
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Does anyone even know what sticker price is yet?

I was thinking there would be people paying over sticker for it. I agree - never pay over sticker.
      07-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #53
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
So just a quick update:

After getting through about half the paperwork and almost 2 hours of being at the dealership, when it finally came time to head into finance office, they told me that the person who writes checks left for the day and they'd give me some piece of paper saying they owe me a ~$12,000 check the next day. I walked. Wasted 2 hours of my time, when I notified them that morning to get everything together and I wanted to get in and out ASAP. Could have been an honest mistake, or just more dealer games, but in the end, I showed up prepared to make it happen, and they didn't.

After sleeping on it for a few nights, I'm almost certain I changed my mind on the car. STI is a fun car, but after thinking of all the time I'm going to spend modding/tuning/troubleshooting eventually, I just don't know if it's time I can invest in anymore, regardless if I find it entertaining to do so or not.

There's a lot to love with just having a ~430 whp monster that is the M3 that's stock and ready to go as-is. I think I'm a Bilstein B16 Damptronic kit away from having the perfect car for me, and due to having ~1.5 years of warranty left and how low my mileage is, I figure I have at least 2 more years to enjoy the car headache-free and trade for something else after that. Based on my current mileage, I don't think I'll even break 20k miles by then.

Looks like I'm here to stay for a bit
One of the better decisions you'll make in your life
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #54
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
One of the better decisions you'll make in your life
Haha, well I'll know for sure in 2 weeks - made an appointment for Bilstein B16 Damptronic install on August 5. Looking forward to it, but hope it isn't super stiff all the time. Price of KW DDC is just too difficult for me to justify.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Haha, well I'll know for sure in 2 weeks - made an appointment for Bilstein B16 Damptronic install on August 5. Looking forward to it, but hope it isn't super stiff all the time. Price of KW DDC is just too difficult for me to justify.
After knowing your build is CF roof, cloth seats and 6MT, good for your not selling.

That’s going to be a sought after config in the future (like a similarly equipped e46m)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #56
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
After knowing your build is CF roof, cloth seats and 6MT, good for your not selling.

That’s going to be a sought after config in the future (like a similarly equipped e46m)
Interesting that you say that. I didn't necessarily configure the car that way due to those being no cost options - I just happened to like cf roof, manual, cloth seats, and the 18 inch wheels best, and would have paid extra for them (the wheels are actually the main reason I didn't get comp pack). I always joke to people that BMW built the base car exactly for me. I didn't even get the backup camera .

I did "splurge" on Mineral White and Apple Carplay though. That $850 really pushed me above the edge of my budget.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:40 PM   #57
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I think you made the right call. Its hard to go from an M3 over to an STi unless the finances requires it. The M3 isn't the perfect car but it checks off the most boxes for people that love to drive, have some luxury and needs to drive family around. The only real benefit of the STi over the M3 is AWD in the snow and aftermarket parts are cheap as hell. The second part is actually dangerous because you will be tempted to mod the crap out of it to the point you'll run into reliability issues quick. I've seen this happen to a lot of my old subie guy friends.

I've had a decent amount of cars in my lifetime all modded up and my F80 just make me go "dayam that looks good" on the inside every time I look at it even after a year later.

Alan
      07-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #58
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I think you made the right call. Its hard to go from an M3 over to an STi unless the finances requires it. The M3 isn't the perfect car but it checks off the most boxes for people that love to drive, have some luxury and needs to drive family around. The only real benefit of the STi over the M3 is AWD in the snow and aftermarket parts are cheap as hell. The second part is actually dangerous because you will be tempted to mod the crap out of it to the point you'll run into reliability issues quick. I've seen this happen to a lot of my old subie guy friends.

I've had a decent amount of cars in my lifetime all modded up and my F80 just make me go "dayam that looks good" on the inside every time I look at it even after a year later.

Alan
And if you want to mod an old style turbo car, instead of buying a new sube for $40k, get a 996 or 997 turbo for a bit more.

Yes parts are more expensive but Mezger is a super durable drivetrain and it has a weight distribution that will get power to the ground, and widebody to fit lots of tire (with hella dish for the rear wheels as a nice bonus)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #59
kevolution
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 BMW M3

For future reference, if you want to check trade-in value for your car, you can use vroom.com as long as you have a VIN, they basically give you an appraised value for your car sight-unseen and you can use that as leverage for selling it to dealers.
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      07-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #60
cotmfk
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Interesting that you say that. I didn't necessarily configure the car that way due to those being no cost options - I just happened to like cf roof, manual, cloth seats, and the 18 inch wheels best, and would have paid extra for them (the wheels are actually the main reason I didn't get comp pack). I always joke to people that BMW built the base car exactly for me. I didn't even get the backup camera .

I did "splurge" on Mineral White and Apple Carplay though. That $850 really pushed me above the edge of my budget.
HA! We basically have the same car, but I have alpine white. No Carplay option in 2016, and comp pack hadn't been made available yet when I ordered. I am super happy with the 437s (but I do use them as my winters - super easy to keep clean!). Less options = lighter car.
      08-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #61
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

I’ve always wanted an STI. I picked up a 2011 to have in addition to the F80. It’s the family “winter” car. I wouldn’t want one instead of an F80 but, to complement it... heck yeah!

Appreciate 1
seis-speed2426.00
      10-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #62
TheBasicGentlemen
United_States
Rep
Drives: E450 Coupe, Camaro 1LE, WRX

I will say that the base WRX is a better motor than the STI much more reliable and not prone to popping. I love my WRX its just a fun toy, I wouldn't do the STI. That being said I wouldnt trade in a M4 for either one LOL. Now for a Golf R or RS3, maybe just maybe LOL
      10-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #63
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasicGentlemen View Post
I will say that the base WRX is a better motor than the STI much more reliable and not prone to popping. I love my WRX its just a fun toy, I wouldn't do the STI. That being said I wouldnt trade in a M4 for either one LOL. Now for a Golf R or RS3, maybe just maybe LOL

In the end, I'm happy the sale didn't go through. I still think about it sometimes, but I don't have the desire to go through the whole process again, let alone trade in the M3.

After thinking a lot more about it, I actually went the other way, and realized I don't really want 3 cars anymore. I've neglected my R8 since buying the M3, even though the R8 is more satisfying to drive despite being much slower in a straight line. Selling the M3 would make the R8 my go-to sports car again, and I think it's time to put an aftermarket exhaust on it to really bring out its character.

At least this way, I don't need to explain to my wife why I no longer wanted the STI I just bought
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #64
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

^ I feel you with the 3 car setup

its a pain sometimes to show all the cars some love and maintain them. (I know... first world problems). But I drive my civic every day to work. Then when I want to have fun its either 458, or if I want to shift gears I grab the M3. Most of the time i'm so busy I only have 3 days a week to enjoy the two. The M3 has seen 3k miles in 6 months. The Ferrari about half that. and my civic gets 25k miles a year.

But I've thought about just selling the m3 and civic and getting something inbetween… STi / type r / golf r to take the place of both.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #65
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
^ I feel you with the 3 car setup

its a pain sometimes to show all the cars some love and maintain them. (I know... first world problems). But I drive my civic every day to work. Then when I want to have fun its either 458, or if I want to shift gears I grab the M3. Most of the time i'm so busy I only have 3 days a week to enjoy the two. The M3 has seen 3k miles in 6 months. The Ferrari about half that. and my civic gets 25k miles a year.

But I've thought about just selling the m3 and civic and getting something inbetween… STi / type r / golf r to take the place of both.

Car enthusiasts are so funny. We recognize that every car has compromises, so we come up with the solution of owning multiple cars. Then, we complain that we're compromising our time between the multiple vehicles, which is an entirely self-introduced problem, so we justify trading in multiple cars for yet another car in an attempt to fix said compromise.

At least we make sense to each other, right?
Appreciate 3
JamesGames1326.00
Humdizzle6024.00
minn1913970.00
      10-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #66
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Car enthusiasts are so funny. We recognize that every car has compromises, so we come up with the solution of owning multiple cars. Then, we complain that we're compromising our time between the multiple vehicles, which is an entirely self-introduced problem, so we justify trading in multiple cars for yet another car in an attempt to fix said compromise.

At least we make sense to each other, right?
we ONLY make sense to each other. To everyone else that doesn't care about cars, we are irrational, make piss poor financial decisions, and are highly irresponsible.

...But ill still pay a markup on that GT3.. with a high deductible on that insurance plan to save money of course to right some wrongs..
Appreciate 0