EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
gpennell0812
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 F83

Front End Paint Protective Film Line

To those that added PPF and opted to do the front end only, did they wrap the entire hood and front fenders or a line across the front?

I just got my car back from having PPF put on the front end of my car and they only wrapped the front most 1/3 of the hood and fenders. So now there's a line across my hood and fenders where the PPF stops. I understand that area is the most likely to get rock chips but don't like the line across the hood and fenders. It's very noticeable to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
kosd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4 Convertible

I just did the front third of mine as well. The line is not very noticeable to me on my Ys Marina Blue but I imagine it depends on the color. It’s a weekend car, not a daily and I have no chips or marks on the hood in the 2 years since installed.

It sounds like you may have been surprised that The whole hood and fenders were not done. Usually you have to specify that and it’s about double the cost. For example, in Chicagoland I paid about $800 for the front third, front bumper and mirrors for Xpel installed via pre-cut kit. Full hood and fenders would have been $1600. Full coverage cut by hand to have every edge wrapped would be more.

I’m happy with what I went with though. Not very noticeable and it’s doing the job as intended.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

This is why I did the full hood…
My guy warned me about the line.

If you bitch about the line not looking good maybe they can up-sell you the full hood without charging for take-off.
      10-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
gpennell0812
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 F83

My car is black sapphire metallic and maybe it's just me but it's super noticeable. $900 is what I paid and thought I was getting a deal since I had been quoted about twice that from other companies. But whole versus partial for the front end was never discussed with any company I talked to. I didn't know that a partial wrap was a thing. When they said front bumper, front fenders, and hood I thought they meant the entire thing. I honestly wouldn't have did I had I known I wasn't wrapping the whole piece. I told them I would think about it for a few days and then get back to them if I wanted to change it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpennell0812 View Post
My car is black sapphire metallic and maybe it's just me but it's super noticeable. $900 is what I paid and thought I was getting a deal since I had been quoted about twice that from other companies. But whole versus partial for the front end was never discussed with any company I talked to. I didn't know that a partial wrap was a thing. When they said front bumper, front fenders, and hood I thought they meant the entire thing. I honestly wouldn't have did I had I known I wasn't wrapping the whole piece. I told them I would think about it for a few days and then get back to them if I wanted to change it.
If they are willing to change it for a discounted cost, I'd seriously consider.
This is just one of those lessons learned that you have to ask the extent of the wrap.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

The guys who wrapped my cars always take the whole front, fenders, hood, mirrors, A-pillars, headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 05:47 PM   #7
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

My M2 & M4 have full front wrap with mirrors, M2 also has the rear hips done because they stick out and collect track rubber.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #8
bmwbrad22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 M3 Comp Pkg

Garage List
2018 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
My M2 & M4 have full front wrap with mirrors, M2 also has the rear hips done because they stick out and collect track rubber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
Ouch!

I'm debating doing the hood…. As it is still in great shape , front bumper would need a respray before it would get wrapped

I would just do the whole hood in the scheme of things think about how many rocks hit your windshield if one hits high on your hood it can cause severe damage.

Like others said see if they won't charge for removal and get the whole hood wrapped I would only go 1/3 on the roof if anything.

2018 Mineral White M3 /// Comp Package
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

In regards to the front end only, I am in agreement w/most and think the entire hood & fenders should protected. There are a few other "high impact" areas that you might want to consider.

I am familiar w/the line…

I opted to have a ~18-24 inch piece applied to the front edge of the CF roof. If you look closely, the CF sits up just enough to create an edge. Yes, the line on the roof is noticeable and I have already made plans to cover the entire section.
Appreciate 0