Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #23
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by X.X.I.V View Post
Wow that sounds awesome I'd love this but my ocd needs the 2 sets of valved exhaust tips so the my wife and kids will still go out in my car
I'm in talks with Top Gear right now about this. They came up with a brilliantly simple solution with valve operation. I am not committing to doing this on my car, but maybe he'll want to experiment on it. Can't promise anything though. The tone is perfect - just the perfect amount of volume and not pissing anybody off. I couldn't be happier. I see you're local - hit them up. Mitch knows what he's doing now, so I bet he can do this for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #24
GT_Juls
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 M4

I swear rhat juicy video is making me want to cut up my AWE switch path and try it out.
      12-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #25
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboogie315 View Post
I swear rhat juicy video is making me want to cut up my AWE switch path and try it out.
Instead, sell that to fund this project! With the right fabricator, you'll probably break even or close to it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #26
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Damn that sounds amazing!!! I would swap out my Akra if they could make a quad tip version. Wish your fabricator was local to me. I can’t find anyone around here to do this type of work.
Appreciate 1
msdss497.50
      12-05-2019, 11:11 PM   #27
///Mani
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
Wow that sounds really really good. I'd never recognize that as an F80 if someone played it for me. Very nice! You might become rich if you can get this made and sold.
Already in talks with Top Gear Motorworks about it. We'll see how this turns out, but they definitely have earned it. Completely craps on every single friggin exhaust out there.
Wow sounds great ntg! I may have to run fake tips on the other side to retain the stock look but its a very good sound.

When do you think buys will be available?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:31 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

This is great - subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 03:09 AM   #29
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #30
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Already in talks with Top Gear Motorworks about it. We'll see how this turns out, but they definitely have earned it. Completely craps on every single friggin exhaust out there.
Do you still have your cats?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #31
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Do you still have your cats?
Primary cats, yes.

Secondary cats have been replaced with Magnaflow 14156 resonators. If I were to do it again, I'd probably find something a little larger that could fit in the space. The Magnaflows are fine for stock exhaust, but the equal length has a little more snarl in the midrange that maybe larger resonators could fix.

Ideally, I would have liked a resonator after the merge, but with such a quiet muffler, I don't even think it would help. Luckily you can barely hear it in my V2 compared to V1.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #32
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboogie315 View Post
The switch path is a multi-piece design that uses clamps correct? if so, you can easily just bolt on a new rear pipe section that encompasses that U-bend and cross the pipes after that. That way when it comes time to sell, you can give the buyer the option of the standard AWE or your custom pipes
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #33
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Primary cats, yes.

Secondary cats have been replaced with Magnaflow 14156 resonators. If I were to do it again, I'd probably find something a little larger that could fit in the space. The Magnaflows are fine for stock exhaust, but the equal length has a little more snarl in the midrange that maybe larger resonators could fix.

Ideally, I would have liked a resonator after the merge, but with such a quiet muffler, I don't even think it would help. Luckily you can barely hear it in my V2 compared to V1.
Thanks, comparing mine to yours and to other members, it seems like all of you have eliminated some, if not all, of the cats. I'm going to try and eliminate my secondary cats, I think that's the piece I'm missing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #34
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, that was sooner than expected.

VIDEO IS UP! Make sure to listen on YouTube and check the comment section for time stamps. It gets right to the juicy parts.
bye bye old "S55" sounds, hello new era of "S55" sounds

Last edited by spool twice; 12-06-2019 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 2
ntg442887.50
      12-06-2019, 07:23 AM   #35
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
Thanks, comparing mine to yours and to other members, it seems like all of you have eliminated some, if not all, of the cats. I'm going to try and eliminate my secondary cats, I think that's the piece I'm missing.
Oh, I did not know that you still had them. Yes, you absolutely need to do that. Since you're still using stock muffler, get the Magnaflows.

When I had my valves unplugged 100% stock, I'd get some resonance and rasp under boost. After the Magnaflows, it fixed everything. I think it'll take a little bit off the edge and round out your tone nicely. Although with your latest sound clips, I really like it as-is. Much angrier/dirtier sounding than mine It's a nice alternative.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #36
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine89 View Post
I don't know much about acoustical engineering but everything you're saying is making an incredible amount of sense. God I hope someone is out there resting the best equal length exhaust system with an mpe setup. I love how throaty my MPE. I can't imagine it being better, but this post makes me think there's room for improvement!
Very basic concepts being applied isn't it? Crazy how this wasn't a topic of discussion back in 2015. Instead, the past conversations were centered around adding resonators, adding x-pipes, eliminating rasp, basically covering up the sound without actually looking into why the S55 sounds the way it does, so they all end up sounding like a variation of the same theme.

Last edited by spool twice; 12-06-2019 at 08:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #37
LRGM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 225i

Quote:
Oh, I did not know that you still had them. Yes, you absolutely need to do that. Since you're still using stock muffler, get the Magnaflows.

When I had my valves unplugged 100% stock, I'd get some resonance and rasp under boost. After the Magnaflows, it fixed everything. I think it'll take a little bit off the edge and round out your tone nicely. Although with your latest sound clips, I really like it as-is. Much angrier/dirtier sounding than mine It's a nice alternative.
What rear muffler are you using on yours? I didnt see it listed in the thread (and was reading the other thread) but perhaps I missed it. Great work on this guys!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #38
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92coupe View Post
What rear muffler are you using on yours? I didnt see it listed in the thread (and was reading the other thread) but perhaps I missed it. Great work on this guys!
It's a custom muffler, built by TopGear Motorworks in Downers Grove, IL. If you want one, best just to contact them directly.

Just as an aside to everyone - this seems to be building momentum pretty quickly. I just want to reiterate: I have zero stake in TopGear. I'm just an incredibly satisfied customer that spent my money on this amazing exhaust. Any and all sales/product inquries are best handled directly through them. The last thing I want is to get banned for shouting at the rooftops because I'm a satisfied customer

But if it's anything related to my specific system, happy to answer questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #39
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Are they considering a faux second exit from the muffler? I see a single tip setup being a hang up for a lot of people.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:49 AM   #40
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Are they considering a faux second exit from the muffler? I see a single tip setup being a hang up for a lot of people.
No planning for any type of production run has been started - thus far, it's been TopGear and me bouncing ideas around in informal, non-committal conversations. Obviously I'm gauging interest here on the forums, but that's it - there's no substance.

I promise this isn't directed at you , but I feel like I'm beating this horse to death (from the old thread), and I apologize in advance to anyone who's read this before, but obviously, yes, a fake 2nd exit could be welded on with no problems. However, right now, with my money on my system, it's not happening. It's the principle mostly. I believe it is dumber to put a non-functional 2nd exit on a clearly single exit design just for looks, especially on an M car of all things, so I'm not going to do it.

Many will disagree, and that's perfectly OK. We don't all want or care about the same things. But to me, a non-functional 2nd exit is even tackier than fake exhaust trim around the newer Audis for example, where you have a black piece of plastic plugging a chrome perimeter. It's just not for me.

That being said, I am brainstorming a second, functional tip with a valve that basically bypasses the muffler. But there are a few things stopping me:

- Budget. Don't really feel like spending any more money on this when it's perfect now.
- It's probably going to sound way too loud, so I'll never use it.
- Desire. I have none. This exhaust sounds so good, not sure I want to figure out how to get a 3.0 inch valve working with the OEM valve motor/controller. Could be easy, could not be, but I am not interested enough to find out.

Like I said in my previous post, at this point, this project is just my car and my exhaust. If you want an exhaust fabbed from TopGear, give them a call! I'd be happy to donate my car for a few days for fab & fitment, but the rest is between you and them. I don't even know if they want to get into the manufacturing and shipping side of things, but that's something you can ask them about.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #41
musseilm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Mineral Gray

Quote:
No planning for any type......
Any chance we can get a flyby video of the sound?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #42
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musseilm View Post
Any chance we can get a flyby video of the sound?
Sure! Weather is supposed to get a little icy in Chicago pretty soon, so it may not align with my availability to do the recording. I don't have winter tires for this car, since it's not my DD. But I'll try to find a day that I can do this.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #43
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Great work.

This needs to be sold with centralised double tips and a custom diffuser to appeal to the mass market. Is that possible ?

Just an opinion of course.

But this has potential to sell very well. Great contribution to the f80!
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #44
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Great work.

This needs to be sold with centralised double tips and a custom diffuser to appeal to the mass market. Is that possible ?

Just an opinion of course.

But this has potential to sell very well. Great contribution to the f80!
The hard part of that is that where the Center part of the diffuser is, is a rear bumper mounting point. So you would have to drill partially through the rear bumper (the part you cant see), which most people wouldn't want to do.

That could look awesome though.
drgmt984.50