proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-15-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Increase differential whine.

Per the title, I want to achieve what the Apex Taxi guys have done with most of their M fleet. (without all the sound deadening and weight loss)

In one of their most recent M2 vids:

they explain how its achieved (kinda) This car isnt as stripped out as the F80 so more so something I could have, while still hearing a significant whine.

I already upgraded my transmission through autosolutions ssk and added a 95A urethane bronze bushing and there is some nice added sound... but I ultimately want that noise the guys at the Nürburgring have.

Another vid on the sound:

If anyone has expertise on this and how to replicate with parts to buy, guesses on labor time/cost, it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 1
icegrill2078.00
      06-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
chrisjguzman
Corner Hunter
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 ,04 Vw turbo R32,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeFelicia View Post
Per the title, I want to achieve what the Apex Taxi guys have done with most of their M fleet. (without all the sound deadening and weight loss)

In one of their most recent M2 vids:

they explain how its achieved (kinda) This car isnt as stripped out as the F80 so more so something I could have, while still hearing a significant whine.

I already upgraded my transmission through autosolutions ssk and added a 95A urethane bronze bushing and there is some nice added sound... but I ultimately want that noise the guys at the Nürburgring have.

Another vid on the sound:

If anyone has expertise on this and how to replicate with parts to buy, guesses on labor time/cost, it would be appreciated.
KMP diff bushings
https://www.kmpdrivetrain.com/produc...4-bracket-set/
Schirmer diff kit
https://www.teamschirmerparts.com/co...fferential-kit
2001 YZF R1
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

chrisjguzman

Thanks for your response

Could I get by with just the KMP set? Or you think the Schirmer lift kit is necessary as well?

I got the same f80 as you too sans zcp lol
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Turner sells a dual mount bracket but i dont think you need it. You just need to use solid diff mounts to achieve diff whine. You dont need the lift kit but if you are lowered a lot in the rear it helps keep the driveshaft and diff in optimal position.

Adding solid motor mounts and tranny mounts will give you more race car noises as well.

Last edited by hC1001; 06-16-2021 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

I remember this video from a little ago. Good review and demo with the whine you seek.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #6
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

irokdayellup

I appreciate your video! This guy has his gutted so it reminds me of the Apex Taxi lol.

Unfortunately I don't want to go full race interior like him but nevertheless...

Your post sort of conflicts with the poster above saying only solid diff mounts and no need for the dual mount bracket, so im kinda confused...

Wondering if this alone would suffice https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...x-f80-f82-f87/

Although i'm torn because I hate ECS tuning and dont want to purchase anything from them again.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:23 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
irokdayellup

I appreciate your video! This guy has his gutted so it reminds me of the Apex Taxi lol.

Unfortunately I don't want to go full race interior like him but nevertheless...

Your post sort of conflicts with the poster above saying only solid diff mounts and no need for the dual mount bracket, so im kinda confused...

Wondering if this alone would suffice https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...x-f80-f82-f87/

Although i'm torn because I hate ECS tuning and dont want to purchase anything from them again.
The diff mounting kit that Apex uses on the M2 and the Turner one adds an additional mounting point for the diff. And they are stiffer bushings. This will transmit more "sound" into the subframe/chassis since the subframe is already solidly mounted to the chassis. Solid diff bushing (like what Apex and Team Schirmer did) will result in even more of that whiny sound. Stirp out your interior and you'll have more sound still.

Before going this route though, try this. One evening when you're physically and mentally tired (but you need to work on something on the computer), turn on that diff whiny video on loop for an hour while you work. If it doesn't feel like a drill is drilling into your brain, you'll probably like the mod.

Me personally, I would want to kill myself if I had to commute with that sound on all the time. But then again, that's why I hate superchargers too.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #8
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
The diff mounting kit that Apex uses on the M2 and the Turner one adds an additional mounting point for the diff. And they are stiffer bushings. This will transmit more "sound" into the subframe/chassis since the subframe is already solidly mounted to the chassis. Solid diff bushing (like what Apex and Team Schirmer did) will result in even more of that whiny sound. Stirp out your interior and you'll have more sound still.

Before going this route though, try this. One evening when you're physically and mentally tired (but you need to work on something on the computer), turn on that diff whiny video on loop for an hour while you work. If it doesn't feel like a drill is drilling into your brain, you'll probably like the mod.

Me personally, I would want to kill myself if I had to commute with that sound on all the time. But then again, that's why I hate superchargers too.
Well said! My setup sounds like a jet plane taking off everytime I accelerate, even with full interior trim. I wouldn't change anything about it, but I understand the sound isn't for everyone. It helps to have increased turbo spool/sound to further enhance the experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
chrisjguzman
Corner Hunter
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 ,04 Vw turbo R32,

Quote:
chrisjguzman

Thanks for your response

Could I get by with just the KMP set? Or you think the Schirmer lift kit is necessary as well?

I got the same f80 as you too sans zcp lol
I have the KMP set and it whines the same
2001 YZF R1
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 12:02 AM   #10
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post

Appreciate your feedback as always. (you've helped me a few times with your responses)

I've had a friend mention to me about this and how he hates it etc etc.
So per usual, it's truly a subjective thing.

My situation is:

Not a daily - catless + full exhaust. I do take it out 5 times a week after work for a 8 mile round trip and getting to hear all the noises is a good thing for me.

Long trips are few and far between and the misses has a bone stock vehicle we can take too. + she's dealt with a catless full exhaust e92m and she didn't complain about any noises.

So just like FriedPiston I welcome all the jet plane takeoff noise I can get lol
Appreciate 1
x.shell6578.50
      06-17-2021, 12:15 AM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Appreciate your feedback as always. (you've helped me a few times with your responses)

I've had a friend mention to me about this and how he hates it etc etc.
So per usual, it's truly a subjective thing.

My situation is:

Not a daily - catless + full exhaust. I do take it out 5 times a week after work for a 8 mile round trip and getting to hear all the noises is a good thing for me.

Long trips are few and far between and the misses has a bone stock vehicle we can take too. + she's dealt with a catless full exhaust e92m and she didn't complain about any noises.

So just like FriedPiston I welcome all the jet plane takeoff noise I can get lol
Do it up and post here about it. I think as people's diff bushings start to wear out, more people are going to start looking for information on replacement solutions. After watching Apex's video, I was very interested in the diff lift option.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 12:18 AM   #12
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Such a beast of a car! Forgot about those ring videos. Post updates of achieved diff noise
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 01:54 AM   #13
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Diff noise will get old quickly IMO. Been there done that with the solid aluminum diff bushings.

I'd go with some poly diff bushings unless it's full on race car.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #14
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Diff noise will get old quickly IMO. Been there done that with the solid aluminum diff bushings.

How often are you driving and is it for long? ( 30+)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #15
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

How often are you driving and is it for long? ( 30+)
I had solid aluminum subframe AND diff bushings on my N54 and you will hear it every second you are in the car driving/accelerating. It's the same for every BMW.

After a few thousand miles, the novelty wears off and it sounds like static on the radio.

It's very noticeable on the freeway.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #16
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I had solid aluminum subframe AND diff bushings on my N54 and you will hear it every second you are in the car driving/accelerating. It's the same for every BMW.

After a few thousand miles, the novelty wears off and it sounds like static on the radio.

It's very noticeable on the freeway.
Right. Appreciate sharing your experience.

Usage of my M3 is more so for short-medium distances and fun opposed to a daily I need to rely on and or have other non enthusiasts sit in. Already have loud mods on it and adding more isn't going to bother me... for now.

Although I can see drawbacks.... I for one enjoy all the race car noises I can get. Won't be gutting it either so all factory deadening will remain.
Appreciate 1
hellokitty2891.00
      10-31-2021, 09:35 PM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm going to backtrack a bit on my previous statement. I think I'm going to go with KMP aluminum diff bushings.

After some weeks of thinking, it's probably the best option in terms of cost and reliability at the expense of NVH. Since the diff bushings are a challenge to swap out (subframe needs to come out), might as well go with a lifetime solution and not have to worry about it again.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 12:48 AM   #18
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Hi Guys,

Since it's such an expensive change, I really recommend you guys stick with poly or delrin bushings for the rear. Adding solid bushings is unnecessary - all you get is diff whine, and a bunch of other interesting drivetrain noises. It gets old really quick.

The only advantage that you get from the Schirmer or KMP solution is that the solid offset bushings raise the diff if you have a substantially lowered car .. AND the only two companies that sell the proper kit are Bimmerworld or Schirmer.

Don't get me wrong the kit is really effective and the car puts power down and reacts much better to drivetrain engagement but I think you can get 80% of this with poly/delrin only bushings.

Steve
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50