R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Ultimate clutch pedal install tip and short review

So i figured I would share my experience in case anyone is stuck in the same situation as me.

When installing leave out both pieces of the over center spring. If you keep it in the pedal will not move back and forth freely. It's very obviously and noticeably bad. Like horrible. The clutch pedal will literally stay stuck and then snap back up and engage with aggressive shifting. I stalled twice in a row at first because the clutch would not move with my foot as I slowly pulled my foot back and engaged.

After removal of the over center spring the product itself is not bad. I have a little more clutch feel and its a tiny bit stiffer(which I like). I just wish someone had told me about the over center spring before I was upside down in the small space of the footwell for hours trying to figure things out, moving the spring location back and forth etc.

clutch stop: The oem one feels like a solid wall to end clutch travel while the UCP clutch stop is softer and more mushy. I don't think I like it but leaving it in for now as its not a big deal and ill get used to it.

I wouldn't call this a necessary mod as other have. its not day and night and wont make a huge impact on your driving experience but it is definitely an improvement. I can't really notice the difference with the 15mm lower resting position or the elimination of much "slop" but felt the biggest difference was in the clutch feel itself which I think is the most important factor anyway. Pedal travel also feels better because the clutch grabs much sooner now which I like.

Is it worth the price? probably for most people. I didnt really have an issue with the stock clutch but I heard good things and it was a relatively cheap mod so I went with it

If you decide to ignore this and install the over center spring anyway do it before you put the master cylinder shoulder bolt in. if the shoulder bolt is in there is no way you're getting that spring in place. Take/leave that shoulder bolt out and pull the pedal out towards the seat to get the spring in

Hope this was helpful for some because I would have liked to know all this
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Glad you got this mod done; and DIY to boot. However, I have to say that I had the absolute opposite experience as you. I left the over-spring on and the clutch feels fantastic; not too hard, not too soft, and no play at all. Others that have driven my car also commented on how great it feels. Maybe you got a bunk pedal?

That being said, it is easily reversible and relatively easy to try both ways.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Glad you got this mod done; and DIY to boot. However, I have to say that I had the absolute opposite experience as you. I left the over-spring on and the clutch feels fantastic; not too hard, not too soft, and no play at all. Others that have driven my car also commented on how great it feels. Maybe you got a bunk pedal?

I definitely respect your opinion as I've seen your posts around the forum. You definitely know more then me (that kinda sounds sarcastic but im not lol). That makes me wonder if maybe I did something wrong? Or its a bad pedal like you said. A tech from autocouture even drove it and said there was def something wrong and I should try either loosening up the nuts/bolts or adding some lubricant. I even called EAS who I bought it from and their tech recommended I take out the springs. Thats when I took it out and everything was normal. I even tried leaving the smaller spring in and even then it still wasnt right. Still no slop without the springs and it eliminated the whole clutch getting stuck and not moving right or smooth problem.

Edit: what position do you have your spring in? I contacted someone from UCP and they advised me to use the position furthest from the pedal arm. That happens to be the only position I didn't try. But I also dnt see why they would offer other positions if they don't work. Also remember reading someone else using the middle position with no issues
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Quote:

I definitely respect your opinion as I've seen your posts around the forum. You definitely know more then me (that kinda sounds sarcastic but im not lol). That makes me wonder if maybe I did something wrong? Or its a bad pedal like you said. A tech from autocouture even drove it and said there was def something wrong and I should try either loosening up the nuts/bolts or adding some lubricant. I even called EAS who I bought it from and their tech recommended I take out the springs. Thats when I took it out and everything was normal. I even tried leaving the smaller spring in and even then it still wasnt right. Still no slop without the springs and it eliminated the whole clutch getting stuck and not moving right or smooth problem.

Edit: what position do you have your spring in? I contacted someone from UCP and they advised me to use the position furthest from the pedal arm. That happens to be the only position I didn't try. But I also dnt see why they would offer other positions if they don't work. Also remember reading someone else using the middle position with no issues
I just checked and I can confirm that mine is installed on the middle of the 3 settings.

I figure you are probably pretty good at tearing down and installing it by now. I?d give it a go one more time to try to narrow down the possibilities of what went wrong. It?s hard to mess up the pedal from a manufacturing stand point since the design is relatively simple, but anything is possible.

PM me if you have any troubleshooting questions. I?ll try to help out the best I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryank382 View Post
Quote:

I just checked and I can confirm that mine is installed on the middle of the 3 settings.

I figure you are probably pretty good at tearing down and installing it by now. I?d give it a go one more time to try to narrow down the possibilities of what went wrong. It?s hard to mess up the pedal from a manufacturing stand point since the design is relatively simple, but anything is possible.

PM me if you have any troubleshooting questions. I?ll try to help out the best I can.
I already tried the middle setting and took everything apart trying to narrow it down so many times lol I definitely like how it feels without the spring though so I think I'm going to leave it that way. I like it more raw like that and cnt feel any slop. Still going to talk to the UCP rep about it though. Really appreciate the help thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #6
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I believe the position furthest from the clutch arm would be the one closest to OEM, which is what I have mine set on. It's gets rid of the slop, and moves the pedal about level with the brake pedal.

I ran the middle setting for a bit, and I might go back to it at some point, but I have a feeling my wife would have trouble driving the car.

I didn't try the 3rd setting, but I imagine it wouldn't be fun in a daily driver.
      11-24-2021, 06:33 PM   #7
d0ctorj3kyll
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4 Comp

Hi all

I've seen everywhere online and had feedback from suppliers that this part is categorically for LHD cars only.

However it states it replaces the stock BMW clutch pedal and the part number for the stock pedal is the same in both LHD and RHD cars.

Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to why exactly it won't fit a RHD car when it's replacing an identical part?

Have any RHD owners tried this install?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ctorj3kyll View Post
Hi all

I've seen everywhere online and had feedback from suppliers that this part is categorically for LHD cars only.

However it states it replaces the stock BMW clutch pedal and the part number for the stock pedal is the same in both LHD and RHD cars.

Can anybody give me a definitive answer as to why exactly it won't fit a RHD car when it's replacing an identical part?

Have any RHD owners tried this install?

Thanks!
If i were you I’d contact the pedal manufacturer directly. No hearsay, no internet stories, no bull.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 03:54 PM   #9
d0ctorj3kyll
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
If i were you I’d contact the pedal manufacturer directly. No hearsay, no internet stories, no bull.
They never responded.

I just can't see why it wouldn't work on a RHD car when the stock clutch pedal it replaces is identical in LHD and RHD models...
Appreciate 0