proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

05-09-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Very sad. This was a bucket lister for me and my wife after the kids were out of the house. I had visions of my passions: new cars and history (and French wine). This will cost BMW a customer down the line. If another brand is offering it, I will be going to them in 2 or 3 purchases.

Does Porsche do this?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #24
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuMpion3 View Post
Very sad. This was a bucket lister for me and my wife after the kids were out of the house. I had visions of my passions: new cars and history (and French wine). This will cost BMW a customer down the line. If another brand is offering it, I will be going to them in 2 or 3 purchases.

Does Porsche do this?
Yes porsche does but without any discount. I want to plan a trip with macan S ED

It is gonna be a direct negotiation as if you were getting a car locally in US, i've heard that people can get 7% off msrp for their ED orders
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #25
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

It's really sad BMW is doing away with Euro Delivery. My best memories have been during my euro delivery trips.

I really hope BMW will reconsider it again in the future. I've done both Euro and Spartanburg and while Spartanburg is good and there is track time, I'd still like Euro better.

While it maybe a loss leader, from a business standpoint, I would consider a Mercedes or Porsche instead for my next purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #26
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post
Yes porsche does but without any discount. I want to plan a trip with macan S ED

It is gonna be a direct negotiation as if you were getting a car locally in US, i've heard that people can get 7% off msrp for their ED orders

Porsche is no discount plus it's an extra cost option on your build sheet. Sometimes the dealer eats the cost, but it's coming out of whatever you negotiate with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #27
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Porsche is no discount plus it's an extra cost option on your build sheet. Sometimes the dealer eats the cost, but it's coming out of whatever you negotiate with your dealer.
ED was never about the savings for me. It was about the experience. BMW better make the next M3 a good one or I am out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #28
rome5982
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / E92 328i coupe

Wow, I heard about this today and checked the forums to try and understand why they are doing this. We did ED with our 2016 M3 at the end of Oktoberfest in 2015. Best vacation my wife and I did since having kids. Had no idea participation was declining so much? I thought people were traveling more? At least prior to the pandemic. Very sad day for BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:21 PM   #29
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40

I'm thrilled I got to do 4 EDs with the last one being the best at 10d and 1,000 miles. My friends that had never heard of the concept thought it all sounded crazy, but the experience of taking a vacation in Europe with YOUR car couldn't be beat. Although realistically I was running out of directions from Munich to drive I would have gladly tried to find another route for my next ED. I guess a PCD will have to do now. I did that along with M-School with my last car and while the experience was amazing followed by driving my car home to Ohio, it definitely didn't match that of EDs. While I started it with my first ED for the savings it definitely became much more than that in the end. I always loved seeing my car in the German countryside. It just looked better over there for some reason.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:

Does Porsche do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Quote:
ED was never about the savings for me. It was about the experience. BMW better make the next M3 a good one or I am out.
That's good to hear (keep reading).

I want to add on something that's a huge distinction here. My understanding of the Porsche Euro Delivery program is that the end user (you, the purchaser) are responsible for paying the VAT on the purchase up front. That will be returned to you after the car is state-side, but I'm having difficulty finding specifics on just how long and complex that refunding process is, as it using Porsche NA as a middleman.

So, not only do you not get a discount, and have to check an option box to get the car overseas; you're also going to pony up 19% of the list price in cash on top of whatever your financing arrangements call for. In my build price range, I'm expecting this to look like close to a $40,000 check.

The BMW ED Program turned me into a BMW loyalist, and I've been planning my purchases in a way that would allow me to do one every 4 years or so. But now, I'm looking for other options, and trying to figure out what's next. Had the G05's been built in Germany, I'd already have done my second.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #31
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
That's good to hear (keep reading).

I want to add on something that's a huge distinction here. My understanding of the Porsche Euro Delivery program is that the end user (you, the purchaser) are responsible for paying the VAT on the purchase up front. That will be returned to you after the car is state-side, but I'm having difficulty finding specifics on just how long and complex that refunding process is, as it using Porsche NA as a middleman.

So, not only do you not get a discount, and have to check an option box to get the car overseas; you're also going to pony up 19% of the list price in cash on top of whatever your financing arrangements call for. In my build price range, I'm expecting this to look like close to a $40,000 check.

The BMW ED Program turned me into a BMW loyalist, and I've been planning my purchases in a way that would allow me to do one every 4 years or so. But now, I'm looking for other options, and trying to figure out what's next. Had the G05's been built in Germany, I'd already have done my second.
Just did a quick Google search about this and according to previous Porsche ED buyers, this depends on the dealer. Some dealers didn't ask for it, some asked for a check but didn't deposit it, some asked for a check and deposited it. So I guess you would need to shop around and ask the dealer to see what their policy is before ordering.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #32
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Just did a quick Google search about this and according to previous Porsche ED buyers, this depends on the dealer. Some dealers didn't ask for it, some asked for a check but didn't deposit it, some asked for a check and deposited it. So I guess you would need to shop around and ask the dealer to see what their policy is before ordering.
Yes, you are correct as a generality, but in actuality the real answer is dependent on model.

If you happen to be considering one of their GT cars () the real questions to worry about for the buyer are, in order:
  • Can I get a guaranteed build slot locked down?
  • Will that be guaranteed for a month that's not Winter in the Alps?
  • Am I close enough to the dealer to have them take me seriously as a first time P-car client to put my name on a PTS GT order?
  • Is the dealership willing to go to bat for my choice of paint-to-sample if that's the route I want to go?
  • Will the dealer be helpful/competent at working out a Euro Delivered order?
  • Does the dealer that matches all of the above cover my VAT?

So, you're right after all; it depends.

For a prospective buyer my advisement would be to set your own expectations properly in advance - walk in expecting to have to write the VAT check. I'm seeing it as an extra portion of my down payment, that I'll just be putting down a little later than the first part if I can make this pan out. For now, I'm pending step 1 until the next GT3 has it's build start date confirmed.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0