Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #1
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
M3 g80 3.0 csl?

Does anyone know what this is? It looks like the front is 3.0 CSL inspired but the rest is a G80. Is it just another bumper replacement for the G8x series M? If so, who’s making this and what is everyone’s opinion?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Absolutely horrid. There is no saving one of the ugliest cars ever made. They will never polish that turd.
Appreciate 5
      12-08-2023, 06:28 PM   #3
Keca10
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M3 ZCP / '20 X3 M40i

Wrong subforum. They don’t take kindly to G80s here, sir.
Appreciate 2
mikerunt316.50
spidy512502.00
      12-08-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Windshield looks great!
Appreciate 3
NickyC17633.00
spidy512502.00
      12-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #5
HuckaBMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I dig it. Creative spin on a future classic.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 08:33 PM   #6
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Absolutely horrid. There is no saving one of the ugliest cars ever made. They will never polish that turd.
I don’t disagree but I appreciate anyone trying to make the G80 what BMW should have made it to be to begin with. Probably will never happen but I do like the 3.0 CSL design much more than the G80. It’s too bad that wasn’t the G80 to begin with.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17633.00
HotRodM4688.50
      12-08-2023, 08:35 PM   #7
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckaBMW View Post
I dig it. Creative spin on a future classic.
Do you mean the G80 is a future classic? If so that would be a stretch.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2023, 08:48 PM   #8
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keca10 View Post
Wrong subforum. They don’t take kindly to G80s here, sir.
That would include me. I hate the G80 with passion. As far as I’m concerned the M3 died with the G80. That’s why I posted here. Wanted to hear if this design would be approved by the F80 drivers. Plus I’d love to have something new to go to one day, even if it means heavy mods. Maybe the G87 might work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 09:38 PM   #9
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Windshield looks great!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #10
HotRodM4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
I like it better than Adro.
      12-09-2023, 10:05 AM   #11
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The more I look at this picture the more I realize an unfortunate fact about the G80, and that shows how right you are.

It can’t be fixed. It isn’t just the grille. The whole car is flawed from start to finish. The headlights are shaped wrong and don’t fit the rest of the design, the hood is random and has unnecessary indentations, all the inlets on the bumper are misshaped to make room for that grotesque grille, the rear view mirrors are boring, the side panels don’t flow with the rest of the car, and possibly the worst of all after the grill is the rear of the car. Just horrible. Why does it protrude at the bottom? Was that necessary? It looks out of place and awkward. And the more I see it modded the weirder it looks.

The whole G80 is a flawed design from start to finish. They can sell a billion of those cars but it’s still wrong. BMW needs to wake up. They are making some ugly cars and they need to stop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NickyC17633.00
      12-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #12
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3JetPilot View Post
...the worst of all after the grill is the rear of the car. Just horrible. Why does it protrude at the bottom? .
They drew inspiration from nature...
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
NickyC17633.00
HotRodM4688.50
alex23642912.50
      12-09-2023, 11:44 AM   #13
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The more I look at this picture the more I realize an unfortunate fact about the G80, and that shows how right you are.

It can’t be fixed. It isn’t just the grille. The whole car is flawed from start to finish. The headlights are shaped wrong and don’t fit the rest of the design, the hood is random and has unnecessary indentations, all the inlets on the bumper are misshaped to make room for that grotesque grille, the rear view mirrors are boring, the side panels don’t flow with the rest of the car, and possibly the worst of all after the grill is the rear of the car. Just horrible. Why does it protrude at the bottom? Was that necessary? It looks out of place and awkward. And the more I see it modded the weirder it looks.

The whole G80 is a flawed design from start to finish. They can sell a billion of those cars but it’s still wrong. BMW needs to wake up. They are making some ugly cars and they need to stop.
Yep, to me the car is just a complete abomination from front to rear. I even tried to love the thing by buying a G82 right when they came out, but for two months I couldn't even get myself to really look at the thing. Not even bothering with the front end, it looks like a Mustang from the sides, and a Lexus in the rear. The car basically has NO traditional BMW styling anywhere on it, even the side mirrors look like they're from a huge pickup truck or something, they're awful.

The only part of the car I liked were the carbon buckets, it didn't even feel much faster (if at all) over the 18 Comp I had traded it in for. Other than the seats, I even prefer the F8x interior with the traditional gauges. The CS interior I think, blows away the interior I had in the G82 overall. I have absolutely no desire to ever own a G8x car again. The styling hasn't grown on me a single bit, if anything, it looks even worse now as the "newness" factor has worn off and it's left with just being a horribly butt ugly vehicle.
Appreciate 3
HotRodM4688.50
dezzracer1184.00
      12-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #14
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep, to me the car is just a complete abomination from front to rear. I even tried to love the thing by buying a G82 right when they came out, but for two months I couldn't even get myself to really look at the thing. Not even bothering with the front end, it looks like a Mustang from the sides, and a Lexus in the rear. The car basically has NO traditional BMW styling anywhere on it, even the side mirrors look like they're from a huge pickup truck or something, they're awful.

The only part of the car I liked were the carbon buckets, it didn't even feel much faster (if at all) over the 18 Comp I had traded it in for. Other than the seats, I even prefer the F8x interior with the traditional gauges. The CS interior I think, blows away the interior I had in the G82 overall. I have absolutely no desire to ever own a G8x car again. The styling hasn't grown on me a single bit, if anything, it looks even worse now as the "newness" factor has worn off and it's left with just being a horribly butt ugly vehicle.
NickyC, if I were an executive at BMW your account of going to the G80 and trying to like it but not being able to finally convince yourself should speak volumes. Instead BMW said damn the critics we’re doing this anyways. Why? To what benefit? Nobody wanted a big ass grille to begin with. In the lead up to the G80 no BMW enthusiast said make the grille big and borrow styling from Ford, Lexus, etc. Oh, and also put decals on the hood?!

The G80 was the most boneheaded move by BMW in my lifetime. So unnecessary when the same company has the ability to make this sort of styling through the generations.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
NickyC17633.00
zamboni1132.00
      12-09-2023, 02:22 PM   #15
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
NickyC, if I were an executive at BMW your account of going to the G80 and trying to like it but not being able to finally convince yourself should speak volumes. Instead BMW said damn the critics we’re doing this anyways. Why? To what benefit? Nobody wanted a big ass grille to begin with. In the lead up to the G80 no BMW enthusiast said make the grille big and borrow styling from Ford, Lexus, etc. Oh, and also put decals on the hood?!

The G80 was the most boneheaded move by BMW in my lifetime. So unnecessary when the same company has the ability to make this sort of styling through the generations.
Agreed 100%, and I've owned essentially nothing but ///M cars since 1998 or so. That's basically 25 years of brand loyalty where I had done nothing but support the cars (I even loved the Bangle era which some despised). I spent so much time driving through BMW lots over that time and oogling over the machinery parked there. I remember the first time I saw an F82 on the highway and about lost my mind. It was one of the most beautiful cars to own (realistically) which I had ever seen. It was love at first sight, I didn't need to warm up to it after a couple years.

I'll never know why BMW went the way they did with these cars, and it's really a hard pill for me to swallow because I wanted to love the new generation and to drive it from essentially day 1 through it's entire lifecycle until the new model. The only saving grace is the wonderful F8x cars, and I'm serious when I say I continue to love it as much as the first day I saw it. People everywhere I go still respond amazingly to it. It's common to have people taking pictures, filming the car, rolling windows down and giving the thumbs up, and it's nearly impossible to pull into a gas station without at least one person wanting to know about the car. People just love the machine, it is absolutely gorgeous from every angle and car people really appreciate it. All the talk from the G8x boys of the car looking dated are complete bullshit. People who don't know the generations of the vehicles ask me I just drove it off the lot, it still has a wonderfully modern look while maintaining true BMW historical design.

Compare that to when I had my G82, I had ONE person in two months say something about the car and he was basically just being polite (the look on his face didn't hide what he really thought about the car). I was completely invisible, NOBODY cared or even gave it a second look. To think BMW created that big grilled monstrosity to put it apart from other cars on the road, my experience with the vehicle showed they completely failed.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 04:14 PM   #16
M3JetPilot
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed 100%, and I've owned essentially nothing but ///M cars since 1998 or so. That's basically 25 years of brand loyalty where I had done nothing but support the cars (I even loved the Bangle era which some despised). I spent so much time driving through BMW lots over that time and oogling over the machinery parked there. I remember the first time I saw an F82 on the highway and about lost my mind. It was one of the most beautiful cars to own (realistically) which I had ever seen. It was love at first sight, I didn't need to warm up to it after a couple years.

I'll never know why BMW went the way they did with these cars, and it's really a hard pill for me to swallow because I wanted to love the new generation and to drive it from essentially day 1 through it's entire lifecycle until the new model. The only saving grace is the wonderful F8x cars, and I'm serious when I say I continue to love it as much as the first day I saw it. People everywhere I go still respond amazingly to it. It's common to have people taking pictures, filming the car, rolling windows down and giving the thumbs up, and it's nearly impossible to pull into a gas station without at least one person wanting to know about the car. People just love the machine, it is absolutely gorgeous from every angle and car people really appreciate it. All the talk from the G8x boys of the car looking dated are complete bullshit. People who don't know the generations of the vehicles ask me I just drove it off the lot, it still has a wonderfully modern look while maintaining true BMW historical design.

Compare [...]
You were fortunate to be able to own these great M cars over the last 25 years. I was only able to afford a used one until recently. I’ve always dreamed of walking onto a BMW lot and ordering a new M3. And now I can’t because friggin’ BMW decided to walk off a cliff with their designs! Talk about a tough pill to swallow. They had one job. Just keep doing what they had been doing since the E30. But no. Let’s just borrow designs from everywhere and make 20 different cars that follow no common design philosophy.

I still have faith in BMW. The M8 is a gorgeous car and some of the modded ones I’ve seen are insane. But to say the G80 broke my heart wouldn’t be an understatement. Come on BMW. Stop making the G80/XM crap.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17633.00
      12-09-2023, 04:30 PM   #17
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You were fortunate to be able to own these great M cars over the last 25 years. I was only able to afford a used one until recently. I’ve always dreamed of walking onto a BMW lot and ordering a new M3. And now I can’t because friggin’ BMW decided to walk off a cliff with their designs! Talk about a tough pill to swallow. They had one job. Just keep doing what they had been doing since the E30. But no. Let’s just borrow designs from everywhere and make 20 different cars that follow no common design philosophy.

I still have faith in BMW. The M8 is a gorgeous car and some of the modded ones I’ve seen are insane. But to say the G80 broke my heart wouldn’t be an understatement. Come on BMW. Stop making the G80/XM crap.
Yep, I must admit I do like the M8s and the current X5Ms. After that though....not so much.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2023, 09:40 PM   #18
HotRodM4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
Yep, I must admit I do like the M8s and the current X5Ms. After that though....not so much.
This is all BMW had to do; Give me a smaller M8 😭
Attached Images

12-09-2023, 09:50 PM   #19
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodM4 View Post
This is all BMW had to do; Give me a smaller M8 ��
Yep, or even just stick with the regular 3 series front. I'd like to see it a bit more aggressive than what you pictured there (mirrors are still trash too) on other areas of the body, but it's still infinitely better than what we really got.
Appreciate 0