ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #1
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Cleaning Opal White Leather?!?

Hey guys.

I just got my first non-black leather car. It's azurite black on opal white. I brought the car to my paint correction guy asap and had the whole interior and exterior ceramic coated.

What do you use to clean the opal white leather?

Water and microfiber?

I don't want to strip the ceramic coat or the UV protective coat on leather.

Thanks in advance!
      04-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #2
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Sounds like a great color combo.

First note: The ceramic coating on the leather won't last that long on the high wear areas.. i.e. driver's seat. Maybe 3 months. I would get yourself some Gyeon ceramic leather coating (I believe it's called Leather Coat) so you can reapply. Super easy to use.

Second note: Wipe down frequently with H2O and a little bit of rinseless wash solution (Optimum No Rinse or Wolfgang Uber mixed at quick detailer concentration).

Third note: If you start seeing dirt or discoloration, use a good leather/interior cleaner and then apply more coating (from 1) to the area you really cleaned. I use a Griot's interior cleaner. It's safe on leather.

I have Sonoma interior, and with this process my leather looks brand new at 25k miles. Shouldn't be any different with white.
      04-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

You can use definitely a damp microfiber towel, it works well in terms of cleaning power, and is probably the safest route as it will not get into the layer of coating on the surface.

I don't know what brand of coating your detailer used, find that out and maybe they also sell a leather cleaner that you could buy. The cleaner will definitely take something off of that coated layer as I said, but may be needed for deeper cleaning.

This is why I don't really get the purpose behind ceramic coatings on leather. On paint, you should only add protective layers as you wash & dry the car (via last-step products, final detailers) to enhance the coating. Doesn't work like that with leather. It gets dirty, you clean it, and you re-apply protection, rinse repeat pretty often. But, I digress.

I use Colourlock's stuff this and it works very well - Colourlock Leather Shield (Protector for leather older than 3 years), and Mild Cleaner. https://www.colourlock.com/leather-c...er-shield.html . AFAIK, Swissvax Leather Cleaner is another very good option, but I believe it is actually made by Colourlock.
      04-21-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
claycourter01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
I have been using Zaino Z-9 and Z-10 for many years and have been happy with the results on Dakota Oyster leather. : )

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-10.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Bump