EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32

Would You Rather?

Good People,

I'd love some feedback on your decision in the below question.

Car: 2016-2018 F82 ZCP

Less Miles, with some factory warranty left, but with no CPO?

OR

More miles with CPO?

Why?

How do people feel about a non-BMW extended warranty for the first one once the factory/new warranty runs out?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
SCS55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90,F30, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestDane View Post
Good People,

OR

More miles with CPO?

Why?

How do people feel about a non-BMW extended warranty for the first one once the factory/new warranty runs out?
My 2 cents to help factor into a decision....AFAIK, CPO = 1200 mile service which specifically calls for the rear differential fluid to be changed i.e removing factory break in metals. This is one of the many procedures BMW does to honor the warranty for years on down the road. I was pretty adamant about verifying this for my CPO purchase.

I don't have any additional warranty coverage after I'm on my own, I'm in the DIY camp with help from this forum.

Good luck, I believe these cars in general are bulletproof.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCS55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestDane View Post
Good People,

OR

More miles with CPO?

Why?

My 2 cents to help factor into a decision....AFAIK, CPO = 1200 mile service which specifically calls for the rear differential fluid to be changed i.e removing factory break in metals. This is one of the many procedures BMW does to honor the warranty for years on down the road. I was pretty adamant about verifying this for my CPO purchase.

I don't have any additional warranty coverage after I'm on my own, I'm in the DIY camp with help from this forum.

Good luck, I believe these cars in general are bulletproof.
Awesome. Thanks for the two cents!

I'm starting to see something similar to you. As long as we're happy to learn and take lessons from YouTube university things are manageable.

The cars seems to get that bulletproof feel the more I read on here and now that I'm 2 years into my own 4 series...I have to admit both my jeeps and Saab's has more issues than this one CPO has had in 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Mar48
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp xDrive - Atlantis

Too broad of a comparison, would need specific cars, options, colors, miles, warranty time comparisons.

I’m not an aftermarket warranty guy, but have heard they can be good -
There was another thread on aftermarket warranties and comparisons, recommend you take a look
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar48 View Post
Too broad of a comparison, would need specific cars, options, colors, miles, warranty time comparisons.

I'm not an aftermarket warranty guy, but have heard they can be good -
There was another thread on aftermarket warranties and comparisons, recommend you take a look
Thank you!

I read through that one and felt it was sort of left in the air. Which I suppose is actually the answer: to each their own. I'm just trying to ensure I minimize the chance of a crippling mechanic bill at some juncture.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
TheProjectM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I would personally go for lower miles, fully loaded w/CP without CPO than a higher mileage with CPO.

But that's because I don't put 15k+ miles per year on my car. I bought my car to have fun. My car will never stay stock, and any OEM parts like suspension or brakes that wear out will be an opportunity to upgrade to aftermarket.

CPO adds (only) one extra year after the 4 year manufacture warranty. Sure it's unlimited miles for that extra year but that doesn't help if I'm not putting a lot of miles. Warranty is a great peace of mind, more so for people who likes keeping their car mostly OEM and drive a lot every year. If I drove close 70+ miles a day, and have no plans for modifications, I would prioritize warranty lol
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProjectM3 View Post
I would personally go for lower miles, fully loaded w/CP without CPO than a higher mileage with CPO.

But that's because I don't put 15k+ miles per year on my car. I bought my car to have fun. My car will never stay stock, and any OEM parts like suspension or brakes that wear out will be an opportunity to upgrade to aftermarket.

CPO adds (only) one extra year after the 4 year manufacture warranty. Sure it's unlimited miles for that extra year but that doesn't help if I'm not putting a lot of miles. Warranty is a great peace of mind, more so for people who likes keeping car mostly OEM and drive a lot every year.
Great points. I'm at 12k per year for the last 4-5 years. Like you, I see the wear as opportunity. Just never really realized it till you said that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

I was in the same position a month ago. I went with low miles and no CPO. I also have a 335 from 2013 that has been reliable. Above all though I think the right spec/options should be the way to go.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

If it was a few thousand more and really negligible as all miles are not created equal I would go with the CPO car every time. If it was 30,000 miles more than maybe thats something to consider but end of the day, a stop start short trip cold weather car with lower miles would be 'harder' on the motor than a longer trip highway warm weather car...
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #10
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
I was in the same position a month ago. I went with low miles and no CPO. I also have a 335 from 2013 that has been reliable. Above all though I think the right spec/options should be the way to go.
Yeah I can't imagine skimping on ZCT for instance for the sake of a lower monthly.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #11
TheGreatestDane
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
If it was a few thousand more and really negligible as all miles are not created equal I would go with the CPO car every time. If it was 30,000 miles more than maybe thats something to consider but end of the day, a stop start short trip cold weather car with lower miles would be 'harder' on the motor than a longer trip highway warm weather car...
All miles are not created equal. Fact.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Would always rather have fewer miles over an extra year of coverage. An obviously need to verify that the break in service was done and on the books with BMW, CPO or not. There was another thread the other day where this was mentioned. Cars will be sold still under warranty, without being CPO, doesn't mean they are abused salvage time bombs.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

CPO due to the stringent maintenance history required and the amount of items needed to gain the certification. Both CPO F80s I bought had brand new tires and at least one axle worth of brakes to meet standards. Furthermore, my most current one had the entire belly pan replaced because of an imperfection.

The non-CPO cars I looked at were the typical "tires don't need to be replaced" shpeel when they wore less than 50% tread and a good chunk of them had missed the 1,200mi service.

Plus the extra year of warranty is nice.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, if it’s at a franchise dealer, I’d get the service history and discuss the car. I recall that doing cpo costs the dealership money and sometimes they try to sell a trade in car without cpo even if the car is “eligible” for that program. (I would consider that car)

That’s a different story IMHO, than a car picked up at auction and now being sold at a random “buy here pay here” dealership.. (I would stay the heck away from that car)

Edit: read the aftermarket warranty terms closely and post the price you are getting. It’s hard to make a blanket statement on those.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 12:25 AM   #15
BimmerDimmer6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 6MT / 2019 Raptor

CPO and warranties are nonsense. As long as maintenance records are legit and up to date buy it at a discount with lower miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:00 AM   #16
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp xDrive ; 2021

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, if it’s at a franchise dealer, I’d get the service history and discuss the car. I recall that doing cpo costs the dealership money and sometimes they try to sell a trade in car without cpo even if the car is “eligible” for that program. (I would consider that car)

That’s a different story IMHO, than a car picked up at auction and now being sold at a random “buy here pay here” dealership.. (I would stay the heck away from that car)

Edit: read the aftermarket warranty terms closely and post the price you are getting. It’s hard to make a blanket statement on those.
What about a lease return with low mileage bought by a BMW dealer from auction and being sold as non-CPO. When asked to make the car CPO, dealer is willing to make the car CPO as long as the buyer adds the CPO cost in the total price of the car.

Do you think it’s safe to buy a lease return that came through auction and has all the service records without CPO?

Last edited by masab321; 05-25-2020 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0