Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Spotify app with Android phone on '16 F82

Does anyone know if there is a way to get Spotify to work correctly with an S9+ and a 2016 MY? My wife's iPhone works perfectly, all the album artwork is displayed, playlists, etc. My phone can play music but I don't get all of the Spotify features, I need to control it from my phone.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to get Spotify to work correctly with an S9+ and a 2016 MY? My wife's iPhone works perfectly, all the album artwork is displayed, playlists, etc. My phone can play music but I don't get all of the Spotify features, I need to control it from my phone.
BMW Connect app and I believe plugged in. Being an iPhone guy I cant be exact as I haven't experienced it on the f8x.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Pixel 2XL. Downloaded BMW connected app. it's very hap hazard though. sometimes Spotify will show up as an option in the "media screen" on the car otherwise it doesn't show up at all. this is all connected via Bluetooth. when it does connect, the connection drops on longer roadtrips and I have to go back to regular BT streaming. Everything is controllable via the car and I don't have to control via phone in either case.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
BMW Connect app and I believe plugged in. Being an iPhone guy I cant be exact as I haven't experienced it on the f8x.
It works fine with her iPhone and no additonal software, doesnt need the connect app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Pixel 2XL. Downloaded BMW connected app. it's very hap hazard though. sometimes Spotify will show up as an option in the "media screen" on the car otherwise it doesn't show up at all. this is all connected via Bluetooth. when it does connect, the connection drops on longer roadtrips and I have to go back to regular BT streaming. Everything is controllable via the car and I don't have to control via phone in either case.
I can play the songs but only can do forward and back. There is no access to the playlist from the car controls. I am looking into how to make this work.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #5
logic.f80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80

This is a Spotify issue:

Quote:
Recent versions of Spotify block the standard Android MediaBrowserService connection, which is needed for the Search feature. Please downgrade to version 8.4.96.953 for full functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic.f80 View Post
This is a Spotify issue:
I was hoping this was it. I uninstalled spotify, and installed the previous version listed and still functions the same. When an iPhone is plugged in the Spotify shows up under Multimedia and it works perfectly. Maybe I just need to switch to iPhone for music.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #7
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic.f80 View Post
This is a Spotify issue:
I was hoping this was it. I uninstalled spotify, and installed the previous version listed and still functions the same. When an iPhone is plugged in the Spotify shows up under Multimedia and it works perfectly. Maybe I just need to switch to iPhone for music.
Yup same issue (but on Bluetooth). On Android sometimes the Spotify app under multimedia shows up and I have full access on Spotify playlist via car. other times it doesn't show up at all.

Love my Android but hate how the tech doesn't play nice with other things.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #8
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Bad News Guys :

/QUOTE

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the reports you sent us. We’ve merged them all here and have an update to share with you on the matter.

We received confirmation that the BMW Connected Drive feature has been depreciated. As a result, it’ll no longer be possible to control Spotify via the onboard BMW system. You can however still enjoy your favorite music by connecting to your car’s audio system via Bluetooth.

We also have marked this Idea about bringing back the integration as open for voting. If this is something you would like to see make a return in the future, make sure to leave your vote there and subscribe to the idea. We’ll be monitoring it to pass the feedback on to the right team and keep you posted there, as soon as we have something to share.

To ensure we have one single place to gather feedback from, we'll be closing this thread for replies.

Drive safely!

/ENDQUOTE

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Oth...5011216#M71993

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
Bad News Guys :

/QUOTE

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the reports you sent us. We’ve merged them all here and have an update to share with you on the matter.

We received confirmation that the BMW Connected Drive feature has been depreciated. As a result, it’ll no longer be possible to control Spotify via the onboard BMW system. You can however still enjoy your favorite music by connecting to your car’s audio system via Bluetooth.

We also have marked this Idea about bringing back the integration as open for voting. If this is something you would like to see make a return in the future, make sure to leave your vote there and subscribe to the idea. We’ll be monitoring it to pass the feedback on to the right team and keep you posted there, as soon as we have something to share.

To ensure we have one single place to gather feedback from, we'll be closing this thread for replies.

Drive safely!

/ENDQUOTE

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Oth...5011216#M71993

Voted
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 05:59 AM   #10
ogakul
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Guys have you tried "AndroidAutoIdrive"? I've no Spotify Premium but it's working fine with a free account.

I've posted about it here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738137
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 11:36 AM   #11
hazelbazel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

The issue you're experiencing with Spotify on your S9+ and 2016 MY may be related to the version of the app or the car's software. I suggest checking for updates on both to see if that resolves the issue. Another option could be to try connecting your phone via Bluetooth instead of USB, as that might provide better compatibility. If none of these solutions work, you could try reaching out to Spotify support for further assistance. By the way, have you considered using https://streamingfamous.com/buy-spotify-plays/ from StreamingFamous to boost your presence on the platform? It's a great way to get more plays and increase your audience.

Last edited by hazelbazel; 05-04-2023 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 01:52 AM   #12
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelbazel View Post
The issue you're experiencing with Spotify on your S9+ and 2016 MY may be related to the version of the app or the car's software. I suggest checking for updates on both to see if that resolves the issue. Another option could be to try connecting your phone via Bluetooth instead of USB, as that might provide better compatibility.
...do you think he's still holding onto that S9+ waiting for this solution 3 years later?
Appreciate 0