BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

03-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #507
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
When will you guys/gals learn that the entire business model of BMW et al is to make you feel like you need the latest model because it's better than the previous. You'll never catch up. Trust me.
Spot on. BMW is in it for the money.

Lol at some of you getting upset with BMW. What did you think? That they were going to carry over the car unchanged for another 3 years so they don't cause emotional discomfort to those that purchased first-year models?

To the devoted, gotta-have-first-year-model fanboys, BMW is patting you on the back with one hand and picking your pocket with the other.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #508
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
Spot on. BMW is in it for the money.

Lol at some of you getting upset with BMW. What did you think? That they were going to carry over the car unchanged for another 3 years so they don't cause emotional discomfort to those that purchased first-year models?

To the devoted, gotta-have-first-year-model fanboys, BMW is patting you on the back with one hand and picking your pocket with the other.
I'd like to think that it is continuous product improvement not just them pick pocketing us enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:52 PM   #509
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:

Hahhaha I like that
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #510
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I'd like to think that it is continuous product improvement not just them pick pocketing us enthusiasts.
if it does turn out to be the case that they offer ZCP with a power bump and any chassis improvements (I still doubt it, but I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong), I'd call it improvement to keep up with what they fear is a C63S that bests the F80. with the e90, it took the other mfg a few years to catch up - hence why they didn't release the ZCP until 2010 or 2011, and even then it was practically cosmetic (I've still yet to see any evidence of improved performance).

while I would feel for those who bought early, they didn't get a raw deal. they've enjoyed the exclusivity of having a first model year car on the road for as long as they've owned theirs, and there is no apologizing for what a brilliant car the F80 already is. any hard feelings are just that - psychological. but it would suck if it was merely 1 year before making performance changes - that's why I'm still doubtful (don't care what they did with the M5... I've yet to see any evidence of a camo'd ZCP model in testing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #511
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
if it does turn out to be the case that they offer ZCP with a power bump and any chassis improvements (I still doubt it, but I'll eat my crow if I'm wrong), I'd call it improvement to keep up with what they fear is a C63S that bests the F80. with the e90, it took the other mfg a few years to catch up - hence why they didn't release the ZCP until 2010 or 2011, and even then it was practically cosmetic (I've still yet to see any evidence of improved performance).

while I would feel for those who bought early, they didn't get a raw deal. they've enjoyed the exclusivity of having a first model year car on the road for as long as they've owned theirs, and there is no apologizing for what a brilliant car the F80 already is. any hard feelings are just that - psychological. but it would suck if it was merely 1 year before making performance changes - that's why I'm still doubtful (don't care what they did with the M5... I've yet to see any evidence of a camo'd ZCP model in testing.
its not like we didn't know that ZCP would come eventually...so im not sure what the big deal is.

the big deal to me is if they offer ZCP and a real red. That will be frustrating to a degree. I wont buy another M3, I like trying out new cars too much for that, so I would have missed my chance.

You can retrofit ZCP parts. I did it on my e92 and plan to do it again with this car. ZCP coming early to me is even better, I get those parts sooner rather than later.

what are your plans for options / color on your 2016?
      03-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #512
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post

My feeling is that the Competition Package will be released on the F8X to coincide with the release of the M2 to increase the performance differentiation between the two.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #513
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
so going from E92 LED tails to F8x halogen tails is continuous product improvement?
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #514
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
so going from E92 LED tails to F8x halogen tails is continuous product improvement?
Good one. It's a combination of pick pocketing and timed improvement/introduction. A ZCP option this early without any test vehicles tells me they likely had it ready all along and just sat on it.

Last edited by OneRib; 03-17-2015 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #515
nilfinite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 & E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
7MA - Competition Package

7MN - M Competition Package

Why there are two option codes now is anyone's guess
Maybe they'll have two competitions packages to really mess with people. Look how reasonable the normal competition package is! $4K! Woah for an additional $3K you can get the M Competition package?!?!?

Boom, spent $7K.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #516
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If the "competition package" turns out to be a half roll cage, adjustable aero, adjustable suspension and wide wheels with cup tires like the Z07 package for the Corvette I will really regret finalizing my 2015 M3 F80 order this past week

Otherwise, 15hp, suspension tweaks, and different wheels and tires for $7300 (aka the M5 competition package) is a ridiculous use of money in my books.

I'm surprised everyone is GUESSING on the timing and contents of the M3/M4 competition package based on the M5 but conveniently neglecting the price and basing price off the E9X package, and also ignoring the possible standard feature changes and MSRP increases that could come with a new model year.

Last edited by nicknaz; 03-16-2015 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #517
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
If the "competition package" turns out to be a half roll cage, adjustable aero, adjustable suspension and wide wheels with cup tires like the Z07 package for the Corvette I will really regret finalizing my 2015 M3 F80 order this past week

Otherwise, 15hp, suspension tweaks, and different wheels and tires for $7300 (aka the M5 competition package) is a ridiculous use of money in my books.

I'm surprised everyone is GUESSING on the timing and contents of the M3/M4 competition package based on the M5 but conveniently neglecting the price and basing price off the E9X package, and also ignoring the possible standard feature changes and MSRP increases that could come with a new model year.

Nobody is conveniently neglecting the price, it's all speculation...but to guess that it will be the same price as the M5 comp pack is also kinda ridiculous.

Yes, there may be standard feature changes and MSRP increases, but who is to say those changes may not be desirable? Last I checked there were plenty of f8x buyers complaining about spending $4k plus on the exec package for the one or two items that they actually wanted.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #518
AnujS2K
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ED 08/12

If it's new wheels and suspension like the e9x plus a 15-30hp boost, I'd consider spending up to 3k. MAYBE 4k if it's +30hp but I need to see the value. Any more and I would buy my own wheels and suspension or just leave the car stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:03 PM   #519
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnujS2K View Post
If it's new wheels and suspension like the e9x plus a 15-30hp boost, I'd consider spending up to 3k. MAYBE 4k if it's +30hp but I need to see the value. Any more and I would buy my own wheels and suspension or just leave the car stock.
I would spend $4000 for improved suspension and wider wheels/tires. I think that would have more impact on the M4 as a track car than a power bump. If the competition package is truly that, it will have improvements in those areas first and foremost to improve the track (a.k.a. competition) aspects of the car. Maybe power but that would be secondary in my view. For this car, traction upgrades will be more impactful to the performance of the car overall than power bumps (unless it's bragging rights someone is after).
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #520
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Quote:
don't forget that's $3-4k less the cost of 19's ($1200).
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:38 PM   #521
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

As posted by JTO24 in this post: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=463, SCOTT is saying it's going to break in May now too. Between him and ynguldyn's info, well, it doesn't confirm MY2016 for certain, but let's call it very strong strong evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Afterwards we move fully into product focus with the 3er/3er Touring LCI / M3 LCI and Competition Packet in May, and the road to the IAA Frankfurt with the all new BMW X1 and BMW 7er amongst other models expected under BMW , MINI and Rolls-Royce. Again consistent product focus. The continuation of our strategy when the management change over begins in May.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #522
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

You guys sure know how to make the current M3/4 appear old and outdated. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:11 PM   #523
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Unfortunately it will have adaptive suspension standard like the E9x. I would pass on comp package once again, since I would run coilovers.

Now what will be interesting if someone will be able read the flash tune from the comp package and sell it to the public. Similar to what some companies do for the f10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #524
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I would spend $4000 for improved suspension and wider wheels/tires. I think that would have more impact on the M4 as a track car than a power bump. If the competition package is truly that, it will have improvements in those areas first and foremost to improve the track (a.k.a. competition) aspects of the car. Maybe power but that would be secondary in my view. For this car, traction upgrades will be more impactful to the performance of the car overall than power bumps (unless it's bragging rights someone is after).
Agreed on suspension and wheels/tires being the most impactful.

How about just spending the $4k to get coilovers and wheel/tires on the aftermarket? The recent M4 safety car used KW coilovers and not a tuned up version of the adaptive suspension anyway.

EDIT: agreed, Chris S, I would be mildly annoyed if executive package separated into backup camera package and premium package like in the F30. Then again, I purposely kept options low to keep my build cost before taxes at $60k, and avoided the adaptive suspension so as not to pay extra when going to coilovers later on, so I guess I'm overall not as worked up about a competition package as others and didn't pull my euro order at the fist sign of LCI speculation

Last edited by nicknaz; 03-16-2015 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #525
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I understand the frustration but it happens all the time in the car business. As an example, GM released a much improved transmission for the C7 one year after that car was released. The reality is it won't make much difference in any event so likely no big deal. I really wouldn't worry too much about it... especially because we don't even know if it is true yet.
Hell yeah I'm frustrated, and I feel like a lot of people who just took delivery of their F8x will be as well.
My car is 2 Months old and BMW is now telling me that an "updated" model will be available in 6 months?
Why buy a car anymore? I should have leased this thing.

I know it wont go anywhere, but I'm considering writing an email to a few execs at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #526
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
My feeling is that the Competition Package will be released on the F8X to coincide with the release of the M2 to increase the performance differentiation between the two.
Is the M2 going to be a 2016 model or later?

I wouldnt care at all if ZCP was for MY2017 and people started taking delivery in sept/oct of 2016.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #527
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

I think the comp pkg will be the bolded part of your post. I'll be shocked if it it otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #528
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
Hell yeah I'm frustrated, and I feel like a lot of people who just took delivery of their F8x will be as well.
My car is 2 Months old and BMW is now telling me that an "updated" model will be available in 6 months?
Why buy a car anymore? I should have leased this thing.

I know it wont go anywhere, but I'm considering writing an email to a few execs at BMW.
You can't be serious? Vehicles are always updated, always improved -- it's been the business since I've been alive. "Oh please BMW, quit improving your products so my resale value can go to hell while every other manufacturer improves, and your products stagnate."

This isn't like when James May bought a Ferrari 430 right before the 458 was released which changed everything - this is a modest improvement that will come at a price premium.

If the M3 remains dominant, it will help EVERYONE'S resale value - regardless of model.

I, for one, am excited to hear the news, and hope the rumors are true.

-Scott
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread