GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #133
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
Yeah I’m swapping my injectors soon. Not going to run them more than 50k anymore. Truly odd MHD has no issues but BM3 does. What kind of Ethanol sensor are you using? One other thing I did was reset my adaptations using MHD since BM3 currently has a lot of problems with the entire diagnostic tab.

I’m now 2 days in the car is running great. 🤞🏽
I am using the Zeitronix sensor from the Bend Ultimate flex fuel kit.

It must be a cold start table that MHD configured to be part of the flex fuel flashing that isn't covered correctly on my end on BM3. Oh well, looks like I'll be selling my BM3 license soon LOL
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 04:37 PM   #134
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
You could always order from FCP Euro and use their lifetime replacement. I think yearly is excessive. Replacing every 30-40k seems more reasonable IF it is truly that important.

Of course, you'll want to perform E85 best practices like cycling pump gas every 4-5 tanks of E85, use a fuel cleaner during the cycling process, use multiple tanks of pump gas etc.
True, I just wish they hadn't changed their return policy. Wouldn't get a 'warranty' benefit until the 3rd set.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 06:33 PM   #135
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
True, I just wish they hadn't changed their return policy. Wouldn't get a 'warranty' benefit until the 3rd set.
Since when? I wasn't aware of that change.....
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #136
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unacceptable Returns

Lifetime Replacement Guarantee (LRG):

Items not originally purchased from FCP Euro or have been misrepresented (Genuine returned in place of OE/OEM), items with excessive return rate or failure due to improper installation or misdiagnosis, items with no historical purchase history with FCP Euro, as well as those with no offsetting replacement order.

Returns Abuse:

Customers with an excessively high return rate or frequency will be ineligible for LRG participation. This covers those items with multiple returns prior to the end of their reasonable, useful life as well as items returned under the defective / LRG policy proactively prior to failure.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 04:54 AM   #137
delz0r
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

F80Paul has my cold start perfect on my custom flex fuel BM3 tune. I’ve tested it from pump fuel up to E55.

It originally wasn’t 100% perfect so I took some cold start idle and take off logs and then be dialed it in.
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #138
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Since when? I wasn't aware of that change.....
Last November iirc. You buy something and if you need to replace you buy it again and return the old one…for store credit. It’s a bummer, but I imagine it was just a matter of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 04:56 PM   #139
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

Quote:
Last November iirc. You buy something and if you need to replace you buy it again and return the old one…for store credit. It’s a bummer, but I imagine it was just a matter of time.
That’s the thing, I wasn’t grasping for the longest how were they sustaining themselves when I’m sure people took advantage of this. Not surprised they refined it but hoping that for my rotors I just bought from them that they won’t haggle me when time comes to replace them which maybe a bit sooner than expected.

Quote:
My neglected gaming rig now has a purpose again. Now to find a reel for this ridiculously long ethernet cable.

Have to digress a bit and say I’m saddened you have an RTX card just sitting there being neglected 🥲. Such is life when things get busy, I still put my 2080ti to use from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 05:35 PM   #140
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Also, I am leaning toward staying on MHD due to some additional functionality.

I especially like the fact that you can set power reduction in any of the 1-4 map slots before flashing. Right now, Map 1 is 100%, Map 2 is 95%, Map 3 is 90% and Map 4 is 85%. This is switchable from the steering wheel controls.

There is also power reduction by gear to fine tune.

I am not sure how this compares to ECUTek though. I am hesitant to want to buy another license given that I know MHD solves my cold start issue.
You have that on BM3 too and they came out with it first. BM3 also has throttle sensitivity adjustment other than torque by gear. Its been there for a while now and its per map slot as well. No reason you should have a cold start issue at all. It actually doesn’t make sense as I’m on EU5 injectors since 4 years ago and run anywhere from 10% that we get in our 93 to 55-80% that I see from the pumps in the area. Never had a single issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 10:35 PM   #141
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
You have that on BM3 too and they came out with it first. BM3 also has throttle sensitivity adjustment other than torque by gear. Its been there for a while now and its per map slot as well. No reason you should have a cold start issue at all. It actually doesn’t make sense as I’m on EU5 injectors since 4 years ago and run anywhere from 10% that we get in our 93 to 55-80% that I see from the pumps in the area. Never had a single issue.
I was comparing that functionality to ECUTek, not MHD.

I've never had any issues with BM3 on other cars (N55, B48). It's just the S55 that is problematic for me. Since MHD does not have any issues on my car, then I know it is a BM3 issue.

Regardless, I am likely going to switch to ECUTek next week via Bend.

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 01:49 PM   #142
m5_mbb7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5CS, M5C, M2C

Quote:
I was comparing that functionality to ECUTek, not MHD.

I've never had any issues with BM3 on other cars (N55, B48). It's just the S55 that is problematic for me. Since MHD does not have any issues on my car, then I know it is a BM3 issue.

Regardless, I am likely going to switch to ECUTek next week via Bend.
You won’t regret it one bit!
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2023, 10:19 PM   #143
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5_mbb7 View Post
You won’t regret it one bit!
If things with BM3 continue to dive (I don't think they will) I will probably just do it and go with Bend + EcuTek. It's not that my car isn't running well - it is but there's a lot of wonky issues I'm having with shadow codes and other issues with continuity between platforms (i.e. iOS vs Windows) which is really bothering me. Maybe it's because my day job is being a software engineer and maybe that's a gift + curse but at the end of the day, end user experience has to be paramount and I am really baffled by BM3. When I left, I thought it was better than MHD I was just curious. Coming back at V2.0 in it's very early stages may have just been a bad gamble on my part but it was also the bait on the hook that got me to try it. I'll see how my Rickerman tune goes and who knows maybe PTF will sort out the kinks by then but I'm ready to blow the money if need be and really round this thread out to a full spectrum review.
      05-28-2023, 11:42 PM   #144
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If things with BM3 continue to dive (I don't think they will) I will probably just do it and go with Bend + EcuTek. It's not that my car isn't running well - it is but there's a lot of wonky issues I'm having with shadow codes and other issues with continuity between platforms (i.e. iOS vs Windows) which is really bothering me. Maybe it's because my day job is being a software engineer and maybe that's a gift + curse but at the end of the day, end user experience has to be paramount and I am really baffled by BM3. When I left, I thought it was better than MHD I was just curious. Coming back at V2.0 in it's very early stages may have just been a bad gamble on my part but it was also the bait on the hook that got me to try it. I'll see how my Rickerman tune goes and who knows maybe PTF will sort out the kinks by then but I'm ready to blow the money if need be and really round this thread out to a full spectrum review.
Just as a heads up, I hit up Serge at PTF and they'll be fixing the "Original" option in the new iOS app to match the web app/agent soon.

I guess you were the first to discover that bug lol

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:44 AM   #145
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Just as a heads up, I hit up Serge at PTF and they'll be fixing the "Original" option in the new iOS app to match the web app/agent soon.
I guess you were the first to discover that bug lol

I fish these types of things out all the time, it's my day job.
      05-29-2023, 11:19 AM   #146
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just pulled the trigger on Bend and ECUTek. Will report back once I get the hardware and base map.

I am likely going to stick with stock injectors for now unless Ian notices some issues with them.

I have a set of EU5's in the garage in case I need them.

Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 07:48 PM   #147
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on Bend and ECUTek. Will report back once I get the hardware and base map.

I am likely going to stick with stock injectors for now unless Ian notices some issues with them.

Looking forward to this and the results!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:30 PM   #148
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:

Sweet, looking forward to the experience and result. Def keep those EU5s shelved if just for stock turbos but definitely good to have on deck.
      05-31-2023, 05:49 PM   #149
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

1) Ian called me today and we spoke for roughly 15 minutes.
2) After, he sent me a Google Form questionnaire to complete regarding my mods.
3) ECUTek hardware will be shipping out this week.
4) Base map will be ready by early next week.
5) I requested a flat torque map with boost by gear to help with traction.
6) Anti-kangaroo throttle mapping to help with jerky throttle.

I will need to run down my tank of E60 before we start tuning since I need to flash back to stock and uninstall BM3 before installing ECUTek. We will start on ACN91 pump gas then move on to ethanol blends for purposes of tuning.

Appreciate 2
      05-31-2023, 06:25 PM   #150
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
1) Ian called me today and we spoke for roughly 15 minutes.
2) After, he sent me a Google Form questionnaire to complete regarding my mods.
3) ECUTek hardware will be shipping out this week.
4) Base map will be ready by early next week.
5) I requested a flat torque map with boost by gear to help with traction.
6) Anti-kangaroo throttle mapping to help with jerky throttle.

I will need to run down my tank of E60 before we start tuning since I need to flash back to stock and uninstall BM3 before installing ECUTek. We will start on ACN91 pump gas then move on to ethanol blends for purposes of tuning.
Very cool, sounds like you're on your way! I didn't realize the hardware was required, just another flavor of interface adapter. The anti-kangaroo feature is so good it has me hating all my other tunes right now. I have been gathering Dragy data for this thread and I just can't wait to flash back to my Bend tune.
      05-31-2023, 07:07 PM   #151
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I'm bouncing back and forth between going with Bend on BM3 or EcuTek for a flex fuel tune. Ian is extremely helpful and more than willing to explain everything to you. He's great. I considered getting a tune from Halim on BM3 but i'm not sure yet. I'm currently pump gas dyno tuned locally by the same person that bench unlocked my DME.

Going with ECUTek is $3k for everything (including flex fuel filter kit). I can get a used BM3 license and flex fuel sensor for around $750-800, even adding the fuel filter kit only, it's still less than half the cost of going ECUTek.

My question i suppose is it really worth going ECUtek over BM3, in your opinions?

I want to add that this thread has been extremely educational and helpful. I appreciate hellokitty and slaughter.mode. The knowledge I've gained has been very helpful, so thank you guys.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:15 PM   #152
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
I'm bouncing back and forth between going with Bend on BM3 or EcuTek for a flex fuel tune. Ian is extremely helpful and more than willing to explain everything to you. He's great. I considered getting a tune from Halim on BM3 but i'm not sure yet. I'm currently pump gas dyno tuned locally by the same person that bench unlocked my DME.

Going with ECUTek is $3k for everything (including flex fuel filter kit). I can get a used BM3 license and flex fuel sensor for around $750-800, even adding the fuel filter kit only, it's still less than half the cost of going ECUTek.

My question i suppose is it really worth going ECUtek over BM3, in your opinions?

I want to add that this thread has been extremely educational and helpful. I appreciate hellokitty and slaughter.mode. The knowledge I've gained has been very helpful, so thank you guys.
I'd say it depends on your current build and future plans for it. If you can share that I can probably give you good feedback on which route to go.
      05-31-2023, 07:23 PM   #153
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
I'd say it depends on your current build and future plans for it. If you can share that I can probably give you good feedback on which route to go.
ARM Silicone CP's
Wagner TMIC
Apex Built resonated catless DP's
Akrapovic midpipe/muffler
NGK 97506's gapped .022
Turner motorsports intake
VTT CBC

I was tuned when I was on OEM downpipes, so now I have a CEL from the catless. I'm not a huge fan of having to go back to the tuner, 2 hours from me every time i want to change my tune, so I need to get a license to either anyway. Flex Fuel is just something I enjoy. I had it on my STI and I ran E30 on my S4. The power difference was always very noticeable. I'll be staying with OEM turbos for the foreseeable future, so I want to pull as much reliable power from the car as possible. I don't track it, nor am i looking to break any records. It is not my daily, just a nice weather weekend car. Car is a 6MT if it matters.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 07:33 PM   #154
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa2033 View Post
ARM Silicone CP's
Wagner TMIC
Apex Built resonated catless DP's
Akrapovic midpipe/muffler
NGK 97506's gapped .022
Turner motorsports intake
VTT CBC

I was tuned when I was on OEM downpipes, so now I have a CEL from the catless. I'm not a huge fan of having to go back to the tuner, 2 hours from me every time i want to change my tune, so I need to get a license to either anyway. Flex Fuel is just something I enjoy. I had it on my STI and I ran E30 on my S4. The power difference was always very noticeable. I'll be staying with OEM turbos for the foreseeable future, so I want to pull as much reliable power from the car as possible. It is not my daily, just a nice weather weekend car. Car is a 6MT if it matters.

Thanks in advance!
Got it. If that’s the build and the future state build I’d stick with BM3, hands down. Even if you wanted to push near the 800hp range on a single turbo / single lambda config or the ‘sweet spot’ Mosselman twin turbo upgrade with a lift kit + EU5s, BM3 still has you covered in all ways you’ll need. There’s no question EcuTek is great but it’s overkill for your setup. If you were going down a different route with supplemental fueling, however, then I’d say go with EcuTek since it’s the only way to properly handle that extra fueling.

BM3 + Ethanol Sensor, final answer. I personally would add a crank hub but since it’s manual you have a lot more control over the torque and the Bend’s TQ delivery only adds to that safety net…but just me personally, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

I will probably get EcuTek eventually because I’m just wasteful but also curious and will probably build a 1000whp monster again but for right now...my car on stock turbskis with BM3+Bend...absolutely amazing. It drives perfect and I love the new UI in BM3 2.0. I think Protuning Freaks are just at a phase where they’re just creeping up on BM3 ‘2.1’ and a lot of the new changes are being fixed. Growing pains and software are always a thing no matter what the platform but they are moving at a pragmatic but momentous enough pace to keep me confident that I am in good hands and I can enjoy this for as long as I wish with no unwanted surprises.

Last edited by slaughter.mode; 05-31-2023 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 2