BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #45
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Looks pretty aggressive to me for a pump fuel...sure there's meth but there would likely be more knock corrections but knock sensitivity is likely reduced (meaning higher tolerance for knock sensors so less timing corrections). I'm sure plenty others are running more timing for similar boost, etc... but there was clearly an issue with the higher WGDC to begin with. Plugs definitely got torched. Hot tune with hardware related issues would be my internet keyboard diagnosis...which is worth zero. Either way hope you get things resolved and get things back in a healthy state.
Desensitizing the knock sensors is usually a really bad idea especially unless the car is on straight E85. I noticed the short term fuel trims have a small variance. I'm not used to looking at logs in BM3 format but that could indicate a meth distribution imbalance too.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 09:59 PM   #46
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Desensitizing the knock sensors is usually a really bad idea especially unless the car is on straight E85. I noticed the short term fuel trims have a small variance. I'm not used to looking at logs in BM3 format but that could indicate a meth distribution imbalance too.
I did consider that. I've always thought that 2 nozzles in the charge pipes give the best distribution besides direct port.

Is desensitizing the knock sensors a thing? I didn't realise this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #47
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
I did consider that. I've always thought that 2 nozzles in the charge pipes give the best distribution besides direct port.

Is desensitizing the knock sensors a thing? I didn't realise this.
Yes it's done via the flash tables. I know the BMS BEF do not touch them but the tables are there and lots of tuners do. It makes increasing power a lot easier as the ECU doesn't pull timing as easily. But also increases risk.

On nozzle placement usually one in each chargepipe is fine but nozzles can become clogged or other things can limit flow. One of the JB4 meth safety systems is to monitor fuel trims in each bank and alert you if they are more than 15% apart so you can check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #48
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Sorry to hear this.

It looks like 1 2 3 6 were ok brownish color running good.

5 looks like you had detonation really bad and melted your exhaust valve. Probably from lean condition most likely.

4 was getting pretty charred up too.

It does not look like you had mechanical failure in the sense of valve to spark plug contact. "Looks" like thermal issue and plugs and valves melted from the extreme heat. (too much timing advance, excessive lean condition, not enough octane for the amount of ignition advance)

Do you have any logs? There are some very bright people on this forum im sure can help more.

One quick question, were you running 1 or 2 meth nozzles and was this at the J pipe?
2 meth nozzles in charge pipes.

From my logs I can see timing advance doesn’t ever go past 12-12.5 max. Usually around 11-11.5. From what I understand this isn’t very aggressive?

As for lean condition, the AFR logs look ok. So perhaps it’s lean condition in that 1 cylinder you mean? Possibly uneven meth distribution?

From what I can see and understand, knocking in one cylinder USUALLY doesn’t point to a tuning error, rather it’s a hardware issue.

Correct me if I’m wrong please. I’m still learning as well

Last edited by E92inSG; 06-05-2020 at 10:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #49
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

Quote:
It was still running but super rough. No drivetrain failure, no codes, no limp mode. I drove home.
Did you try just changing the plugs to see how it went!?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #50
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

How does the final log compare to the other logs?..... can a trend be seen? If so can you highlight it please...... I want to know what to look out for?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #51
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Yes it's done via the flash tables. I know the BMS BEF do not touch them but the tables are there and lots of tuners do. It makes increasing power a lot easier as the ECU doesn't pull timing as easily. But also increases risk.
t.
Correct. This is nothing new, it's blown up many S65s, S54s, etc
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #52
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I think your #2 and #5 are mixed up, #1 should be toward the front of the car. in most of the logs in looked #2 is pulling A LOT of timing...do you have direct port meth? My guess is you don't and you aren't getting a good distribution across all cylinders. If you are running port it could be a bad meth injector, but your car was trying to pull the timing.

EDIT, i see you were just running a couple nozzles in your Jpipe...

It is surprising it wasn't showing any knock, i'm wondering how much the tuner turned that down/lowered the trigger value for knock.

You don't have to go far to find a blown engine that was running meth. The best use for meth is when you use it for a little cooling and then you add a little timing/boost to gain 20hp, some guys use a lot of meth to gain 100hp on pump 93...

Sorry this happened on your already built motor
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/

Last edited by sly1types; 06-05-2020 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #53
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
I think your #2 and #5 are mixed up, #1 should be toward the front of the car. in most of the logs in looked #2 is pulling A LOT of timing...do you have direct port meth? My guess is you don't and you aren't getting a good distribution across all cylinders. If you are running port it could be a bad meth injector, but your car was trying to pull the timing.

EDIT, i see you were just running a couple nozzles in your Jpipe...

It is surprising it wasn't showing any knock, i'm wondering how much the tuner turned that down/lowered the trigger value for knock.

You don't have to go far to find a blown engine that was running meth. The best use for meth is when you use it for a little cooling and then you add a little timing/boost to gain 20hp, some guys use a lot of meth to gain 100hp on pump 93...

Sorry this happened on your already built motor
Thanks for the insight. Appreciate these replies

No I didn’t get 2 & 5 mixed up. The damaged plug was 2nd from the firewall/ 5th from the front. I was curious as well because all the logs show slight timing correction in #2 all the way until the final log.

I’m running 2 nozzles in the charge pipes, not J-pipe. But it really does look like uneven distribution + knock sensor suppression both contributed.

You can see multiple knock events on the 4th and final log. By then it was probably too late.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #54
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:

No I didn’t get 2 & 5 mixed up. The damaged plug was 2nd from the firewall/ 5th from the front. I was curious as well because all the logs show slight timing correction in #2 all the way until the final log.

I’m running 2 nozzles in the charge pipes, not J-pipe. But it really does look like uneven distribution + knock sensor suppression both contributed.

You can see multiple knock events on the 4th and final log. By then it was probably too late.
Yea it should have been showing a lot of knock earlier. Just ask your tuner if he adjusted the threshold.

Since that is number 5 and that failure happened so quick I wonder if it was just running a little lean then it had plug or valve failure.

It could be valve float, but I doubt it, are you on big turbos? I think that’s around 900hp on these.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 10:57 PM   #55
E92inSG
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Yea it should have been showing a lot of knock earlier. Just ask your tuner if he adjusted the threshold.

Since that is number 5 and that failure happened so quick I wonder if it was just running a little lean then it had plug or valve failure.

It could be valve float, but I doubt it, are you on big turbos? I think that’s around 900hp on these.
Pure Stage 2+, 28+ psi. Definitely not at 900hp.

Will update more once we open the engine next week. Currently more focused on getting the new engine in to get the car back on the road. Workshop also thinks its lean. Wouldnt AFR logs confirm lean condition if any?

*edit*
I will create a new thread next week after full tear down and will provide detailed photos and hopefully create an informed discussion on what exactly happened to hopefully prevent others from having the same catastrophic failures.

Will not respond further in this thread until then, thank you all for the responses so far

Last edited by E92inSG; 06-05-2020 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
LINF83852.00
      06-06-2020, 01:36 AM   #56
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C, 18 M3 ZCP, 20 Raptor

Quote:

Noticed from one of your threads, your mod list mentioned where you originally had nozzles.

Current setup:
Built engine + FBO
Pure turbos stage 2+
BMS charge pipes
EOS Billet top mount cooler
Dual WMI nozzles on cooler (cold side)
RK tunes J pipe
CSF front mount cooler
f80paul custom tune BM3
Appreciate 1
LINF83852.00
      06-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #57
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
2 meth nozzles in charge pipes.

From my logs I can see timing advance doesn’t ever go past 12-12.5 max. Usually around 11-11.5. From what I understand this isn’t very aggressive?

As for lean condition, the AFR logs look ok. So perhaps it’s lean condition in that 1 cylinder you mean? Possibly uneven meth distribution?

From what I can see and understand, knocking in one cylinder USUALLY doesn’t point to a tuning error, rather it’s a hardware issue.

Correct me if I’m wrong please. I’m still learning as well
Ya, you could have had a batch of bad gas, lack of knock retard, spark plugs, faulty fuel injector, faulty methanol injector, clogged, ran out of meth in the tank, Pump issue. So many variables. I wish you the best and hope this was just an anomoly and never happens to you again!

Does SG in your sn mean san gabriel?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 06-06-2020 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 2
LINF83852.00
      06-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #58
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Do any of these tunes offer any safety features? My M only has stage 2, so not really pushing it to hard. The OP has a built engine, turbos, E-85 and meth! Seems to me with all that invested, I would want some safety in there. My GTR is on Syvecs, and has a tone of safety built in. It took awhile to get it all dialed in, but it's perfect now. Expensive for sure, but worth it
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #59
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep

People senselessly heavily modifying these cars way past their limits. No reliability! Interesting how some refuse to blame the tunes and try to protect the tuners! It’s not always the car! I wouldn’t trust any tuners on this platform. Some that a few years ago were just plain forum members. I’ll stick with my BM3 OTS tunes on both our cars!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 05:20 PM   #60
mark5092
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Viper View Post
Interesting...
Who's the tuner?
I’m pretty sure if you read some of the other threads on the first page of this forum, you might just have your answer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 05:23 PM   #61
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickGTR View Post
Do any of these tunes offer any safety features? My M only has stage 2, so not really pushing it to hard. The OP has a built engine, turbos, E-85 and meth! Seems to me with all that invested, I would want some safety in there. My GTR is on Syvecs, and has a tone of safety built in. It took awhile to get it all dialed in, but it's perfect now. Expensive for sure, but worth it
The factory ECU has plenty of safety features however most tuners raise the limiters farther than the specific setup can run. Think about it like this...you go to instagram and you see someone with X, Y, Z parts. You order X, Y, Z parts and contact that tuner and tell him you want the same tune. He sends you that tune which worked well on the first car, however your car might have something different or a mechanical issue and that eventually or quickly causes the motor to get damaged. This is why I prefer an Ecutek bespoke calibration which uses my vehicles OEM rom file for the start of the calibration and isn't a copy/paste setup like BM3/Instagram tuners usually provide. You have to understand that the customer is also at fault in these types of situations since they don't want to spend multiple days logging different runs and most of the time all they care about is to have the fastest setup; the customer in most of these situations doesn't care that the limiters are raised. The logic is...Car A with all these parts worked fine so mine should be fine too.
These customers also generally want to flash it and be done with it...but a true, bespoke calibration moulded to the car requires a higher number of revisions to dial everything in properly. Mechanical problems/diagnosis typically requires a lot more time investment as well and isn't a part of the agreement when you purchase a basic flash tune from whichever tuner for whichever platform.

My preferences are to have a more safe/reliable tune with factory protections in place and limiters not set to max; torque limiters on my build are set proper and not maxxed out. Many other limiters such as air temp correction are more conservative than stock on my build since when you increase boost and power levels, everything is going to warm up a lot faster so why would you leave or increase the air temp limiters.
JTO245271.50
      06-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #62
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5092 View Post
People senselessly heavily modifying these cars way past their limits. No reliability! Interesting how some refuse to blame the tunes and try to protect the tuners! It’s not always the car! I wouldn’t trust any tuners on this platform. Some that a few years ago were just plain forum members. I’ll stick with my BM3 OTS tunes on both our cars!
It's equally the customers fault in these situations...the customer in many cases doesn't understand the risks of the increased power levels as they want that 60-130 time they saw on an instagram post. In my opinion as a customer you should understand what you're purchasing before you go into it...however I strongly feel a tuner should advertise the risks to folks who don't know any better. This is why I chose Bend Calibration when I was looking to tune my M2C; he has always told me if things were being pushed aggressively to meet my goals and we both agree on having a reliable, fast and fun setup. Nobody likes a car to be down due to failures.
      06-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #63
godzllla85
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 435(Daily), 2010 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting...
Who's the tuner?
I’m pretty sure if you read some of the other threads on the first page of this forum, you might just have your answer.
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting...
Who's the tuner?
Thanks for the suggestion, I think we found our answer!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #64
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The factory ECU has plenty of safety features however most tuners raise the limiters farther than the specific setup can run. Think about it like this...you go to instagram and you see someone with X, Y, Z parts. You order X, Y, Z parts and contact that tuner and tell him you want the same tune. He sends you that tune which worked well on the first car, however your car might have something different or a mechanical issue and that eventually or quickly causes the motor to get damaged. This is why I prefer an Ecutek bespoke calibration which uses my vehicles OEM rom file for the start of the calibration and isn't a copy/paste setup like BM3/Instagram tuners usually provide. You have to understand that the customer is also at fault in these types of situations since they don't want to spend multiple days logging different runs and most of the time all they care about is to have the fastest setup; the customer in most of these situations doesn't care that the limiters are raised. The logic is...Car A with all these parts worked fine so mine should be fine too.
These customers also generally want to flash it and be done with it...but a true, bespoke calibration moulded to the car requires a higher number of revisions to dial everything in properly. Mechanical problems/diagnosis typically requires a lot more time investment as well and isn't a part of the agreement when you purchase a basic flash tune from whichever tuner for whichever platform.

My preferences are to have a more safe/reliable tune with factory protections in place and limiters not set to max; torque limiters on my build are set proper and not maxxed out. Many other limiters such as air temp correction are more conservative than stock on my build since when you increase boost and power levels, everything is going to warm up a lot faster so why would you leave or increase the air temp limiters.
Spot on!
      06-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #65
Bmwlmr99
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

I've stayed away from e85 tunes....have 85,000 miles VFstage 2 93 octane , full exhaust dp mpe muffler, CSF intercooler, carbon intake....not one check engine light or any issues, I down shift do 3rd gear pulls against mustangs , dodges , vettes...car is fast
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #66
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

yeah, someone slap me if I ever think about an e85 tune
Appreciate 0