proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
HTXaggie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BSM ZCP M3

Remus + AA midpipe

Just got my new Remus + AA midpipe installed yesterday.

Holy crap. It completely transforms the exhaust. The rasp is elimated due to the midpipe and with the Remus axleback delivers such an intoxicating tone. I also have it paired up with a Macht Schnell Valve controller, which keeps the valves open 100% of the time. My biggest regret is not doing it as soon as I got the car.

If anyone is looking for a new exhaust, I would highly recommend this setup.
Go with Mike @ extreme powerhouse. He hooked it up with a great deal and prompt customer service.

Will post pics and vids soon!
Appreciate 10
      08-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Congrats. Sounds like you enjoy your setup!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Duck Sauce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto M3

I want this exact setup. Currently trying to get my AA midpipe installed on my comp exhaust. Then I'll see if I truly need to buy the Remus axle back
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Were you able to connect the AA mid directly to the Remus muffler with the clamps that came with the midpipe or muffler, or did you have to use something else?

In your opinion, how much louder is the new config over the stock setup?

I've got the AA mid and am on the hunt for a muffler. Looking for something a little louder but not crazy (trying to avoid an obnoxiously loud exhaust - which I realize is very subjective).
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Did some digging in the forum and it looks like the Remus muffler comes with reducers that allow it to mate to the AA mid.

Remus muffler pipe diameter: 2.75"

AA mid pipe diameter: 2.5"
Appreciate 2
      08-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have this setup and enjoy every minute of it, especially now that it's broken in. The sport plus sound in particular is awesome on throttle lift and people compliment it all the time when I'm out and about. However it's also nice to be quiet early or late and it seems even quieter than the stock zcp exhaust in efficient mode.

The Remus axleback includes the correct reducers which mate it directly to the AA midpipe. Other than swapping over the valve controllers it's PnP.

This has been my single favorite mod to date.
Appreciate 4
      08-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
JohnnyUtah805
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP Grey/Blk

Great feedback. I’m looking forward to adding the Remus whenever the wife forgets about the other stuff I bought. Might be waiting a while
      08-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

How's fitment? I want it adjustable where the tip sits super close to the diffuser without hitting it during revs + not sticking out at all. All setups I've seen show the tip gap to diffuser a bit too prominent for my tastes. Same deal with them sticking out a bit too far.

Thanks!
      08-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEROK View Post
How's fitment? I want it adjustable where the tip sits super close to the diffuser without hitting it during revs + not sticking out at all. All setups I've seen show the tip gap to diffuser a bit too prominent for my tastes. Same deal with them sticking out a bit too far.

Thanks!
Tips are very adjustable to the point where it can be tough to get them all tightened up exactly where you want. Fore/aft as well as some angular adjustment is available.

FWIW I did not torque mine all the way to recommended as they seemed very tight. They haven't budged since installed.
Appreciate 2
THEROK1267.50
      08-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
HTXaggie
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the late reply yall.

Elipsis212 gave fantastic feedback about fitment and such, thanks dude.

Installed, the tips were a little too low for my taste. Brought it back to the shop and had it adjusted.

Driving around, the exhaust is pretty loud, maybe like 30-40% louder than stock. Can't imagine how louder it is with DPs. The crackles and burbles on sports plus are scaring people on the sidewalk. Cold starts sound way nicer (valves open); no more lawn mower sounds.

Question though, on initial push of the gas there is a slight vibration feel/sound, has anyone experienced something similar?
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      08-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Like you I ended up adjusting the tips to be closer up to the diffuser by raising the whole muffler section on the adjustment bracket. Looks great man!

I get a brief vibration throughout the car at around 2100 rpm but I've just assumed it's the resonant frequency of whatever part of the car is doing it versus the exhaust. It goes away after full warm up in my case. What's yours doing exactly?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 08:29 PM   #12
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXaggie View Post
Just got my new Remus + AA midpipe installed yesterday.

Holy crap. It completely transforms the exhaust. The rasp is elimated due to the midpipe and with the Remus axleback delivers such an intoxicating tone. I also have it paired up with a Macht Schnell Valve controller, which keeps the valves open 100% of the time. My biggest regret is not doing it as soon as I got the car.

If anyone is looking for a new exhaust, I would highly recommend this setup.
Go with Mike @ extreme powerhouse. He hooked it up with a great deal and prompt customer service.

Will post pics and vids soon!
Just curious, any reason you didn't go with a Remus midpipe?
      08-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #13
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Got the AA mid-pipe + Remus installed today thanks to Justin.AutoTalent. I'm happy with the results echoing others in this thread - thank you. It's definitely '18 ZCP dialed up to 11. Good or bad, it straight scares people in auto-jaded Los Angeles. I rolled up and down Abbot Kinney and Venice on my way to Whole Foods for my daily grocery run. Borderline Grand Theft Auto debut worthy in sport mode.

You go aggressive in 1st gear, not even wide open throttle, and the thing screams even sitting in cabin. Zero drone. Quiet in efficient mode. Perfect.

Where I'm disappointed is the tip size and gap. Remus should've gone the same diameter and cut as Akrapovic to better match with the factory BMW carbon diffuser. Now I'll have to pick up the Vorsteiner GTS-V one-piece. There's also about a 1.5 finger gap from top of exhaust tip to bottom of diffuser after max muffler adjustment. 1 finger gap would've been perfect. MPE exhaust has the same oddball design. Akrapovic is the only one that got the ratio right.

Thanks, Justin! Looking forward to receiving that GTS-V one-piece diffuser. Looked siq on that other gentleman's car.

Last edited by THEROK; 08-20-2018 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #14
HTXaggie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Like you I ended up adjusting the tips to be closer up to the diffuser by raising the whole muffler section on the adjustment bracket. Looks great man!

I get a brief vibration throughout the car at around 2100 rpm but I've just assumed it's the resonant frequency of whatever part of the car is doing it versus the exhaust. It goes away after full warm up in my case. What's yours doing exactly?

Thanks bro!

It seems like it happens right about that rpm. However, It doesn’t go away completely when it’s warm though Probably just need to go inspect the install again to make sure things are fitting the way it is supposed to.

Last edited by HTXaggie; 08-21-2018 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      08-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXaggie View Post
Thanks bro!

It seems like it happens right about that That rpm. However, It doesn’t go away completely when it’s warm though Probably just need to go inspect the install again to make sure things are fitting the way are supposed to.
I don't have an answer, but I get the exact same thing. most noticeable windows up...on giving it 50% throttle around 2k and I get almost a buzzing noise on the right side of car
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:09 AM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Post vids!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4trix View Post

Remus non-res midpipe adds slight rasp, but not much. Aa eliminates that completely.

That being said, I myself had the Aa/remus combo as well initially, but for me the overall volume of the exhaust was lower than i liked (the Aa is basically one big resonator), and the high pitch frequency on the top end dropped some.

When I switched to full remus non-res mid, I got the full volume loudness I always wanted and higher pitch top frequency.

But I'm glad this combo is working out for other's tastes.

Last edited by ReddsektoR; 08-21-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 4
      08-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #18
viva_brasil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 30 Jahre 6MT

What about the wail around 6500-7500 rpm?

To me it sounds almost like a flat-6 ish around there with stock ZCP exhaust. I'm wondering if a merged mid pipe makes it more inline-6 sounding up top. None of the AA vids I've seen stretch it out to redline.

I love that stock sound
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_brasil View Post
What about the wail around 6500-7500 rpm?

To me it sounds almost like a flat-6 ish around there with stock ZCP exhaust. I'm wondering if a merged mid pipe makes it more inline-6 sounding up top. None of the AA vids I've seen stretch it out to redline.

I love that stock sound
I’ll give it a try when I install my AA mid and ZCP rear combo
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
///BMW Junkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddsektoR View Post
Quote:

Remus non-res midpipe adds slight rasp, but not much. Aa eliminates that completely.

That being said, I myself had the Aa/remus combo as well initially, but for me the overall volume of the exhaust was lower than i liked (the Aa is basically one big resonator), and the high pitch frequency on the top end dropped some.

When I switched to full remus non-res mid, I got the full volume loudness I always wanted and higher pitch top frequency.

But I'm glad this combo is working out for other's tastes.
Sure, but Remus also has a resonated midsection that would help with the rasp. I guess I'm wondering, why is AA midpipe so popular with F8X?
      08-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

Quote:
Sure, but Remus also has a resonated midsection that would help with the rasp. I guess I'm wondering, why is AA midpipe so popular with F8X?
It’s popular because of the Exceptional build quality, it truly is second to none compared to any other midpipes. Also the power gain “claims” could be there, can’t say for myself.

But the other huge advantage is that getting the AA midpipe makes it perfect if you’re planning to do downpipes later; it’s basically designed to get a downpipe. It smoothes out all that rasp from downpipe better than any other res midpipe out there.

A lot of thread reading on here and you’ll find that downpipe, AA Mid, and choice of muffler will yield the loudest (if that’s your thing) most aggressive yet clean sounding f80 out there
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #22
Moota
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Ferrari Red M4- 12 M3(Sold)

I saw the videos online of the Remus - AA combo and fell in love. I had hoped that the AA Mid by itself would be enough but it was a bit tame for me. I cant say enough how great the Remus + AA combo sounds. I have the Canflap adapter too so when I need to go stealth mode I can close the valves and it sounds no louder than stock in my opinion. With the valves open in Sport + the pops are definitely louder and more prevalent!
Appreciate 1