Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

05-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekfelix1 View Post
I did my research which is why the overall situation is not that bad. I just assumed that the M4 would have a lot more to offer with an $80k price tag and the reputation that it has. And, yes, all cars depreciate, however, this is another level of depreciation.

I am happy enough with the car to drive it for the next six months to a year and break even on it. But, I just wanted to see what it was you guys loved so much about it. I just don't find anything that exciting about the car. The interior is a nice quality, but not that much more special than some of the other cars I have had. So what makes this car 80k?

I am in it for $57.5k. Its on Cargurus if anyone wants to check it out. Pretty sick M4 actually, and I would tune it, but voiding factory warranty or putting money into a car is not something I want to do, especially knowing I may be trading it in soon.
You already don't like the car so why do we have to tell you why it is worth xyz to us? To be honest, I don't see anything special about one trick pony cars like the GT-R and Hellcat. Great fun in a straight line, but after that they are just heavy cars that don't turn great, especially the Hellcat.

A Vette is one of the greatest performance bargains around so no argument there. If I didn't need two seats and like the convenience of four doors, I'd probably own a GS Vette.

All cars depreciate. The more expensive the car the more the depreciation. Are you new to the car business? Because that is car biz 101.
Appreciate 2
Arcades8163.50
      05-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #24
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I missed Bimmerpost. These threads are classic.

OP. Trade the car in and get some American Muscle. On the way home pick up some gold chains, a wife beater, and some Budweiser

Kidding. Fuck the warranty and get a BM3 or BPM tune. Done and Done.
Appreciate 2
minn1914018.00
sdshah849.00
      05-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #25
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
What makes them expensive? Well its German, BMW and M

What to love about them? Well BMW M has a long history and M has been benchmark for may manufacturers.

Let's see what others have to say
What he said. I say they are worth it. But hey I'm one of the suckers that paid 94k for the already overpriced 2018 M3 CS and proud of it so do not listen to me. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #26
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
OP, why did you buy the car in the first place?

Second, a BM3 Stage 1 tune is pretty safe so I don't really think there is that big a chance of voiding the warranty (although there is always a chance).

Third, if you don't like the car there isn't anything any of us can say that will change your mind (nor should it). I love my M3 CS, but I know that there are probably tons of people out there who think it is a waste of money.

To each their own.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #27
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just to set a baseline, what were your desires and expectations when you decided to get a new car? Based on those expectations, what made you buy the car you did?

As for value, what makes them worth it is that people will pay it. Reasons why people prefer an M car over others are subjective and as unique as snowflakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #28
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
But, I just wanted to see what it was you guys loved so much about it. I just don't find anything that exciting about the car. The interior is a nice quality, but not that much more special than some of the other cars I have had. So what makes this car 80k?
Okay let's see...The interior (esp. with full Merino leather), the tactile feel of the interior surfaces and buttons, the tech, the looks/lines/hips, the angel eyes, the CF roof/mirror caps/interior/spoiler, the chassis balance, the incredibly robust aftermarket, the tune-ability, the heritage, the one-touch adjustability, the M Buttons, the HUD, the handling, the motor, the overall driving experience. Oh, and the Euro Delivery The whole package really.

Neither the Hellcat nor the GTR is in the same league on many of these factors. Are they brutally fast in a straight line? Yes. But very different cars. Frankly, you don't sound like a car guy to me, and these cars are for enthusiasts. I haven't met any enthusiast who doesn't have a special place in their heart for the BMW M3. It's a wonderful car and I have zero regrets acquiring it.

Edit: And I agree that a BM3 Stage 1 OTS wakes the car up, is safe, and is well worth the price. Some warranty risk, but I certainly it's worth it. YMMV.

Last edited by CigarPundit; 05-18-2019 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
Ghosn463.50
      05-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #29
derekfelix1
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I was just looking for an over all new driving experience, always been a fan of BMW, now that I own one can't seem to figure out why people love them so much. Everyone has different taste I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:30 PM   #30
derekfelix1
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
Okay let's see...The interior (esp. with full Merino leather), the tactile feel of the interior surfaces and buttons, the tech, the looks/lines/hips, the angel eyes, the CF roof/mirror caps/interior/spoiler, the chassis balance, the incredibly robust aftermarket, the tune-ability, the heritage, the one-touch adjustability, the M Buttons, the HUD, the handling, the motor, the overall driving experience. Oh, and the Euro Delivery The whole package really.

Neither the Hellcat nor the GTR is in the same league on many of these factors. Are they brutally fast in a straight line? Yes. But very different cars. Frankly, you don't sound like a car guy to me, and these cars are for enthusiasts. I haven't met any enthusiast who doesn't have a special place in their heart for the BMW M3. It's a wonderful car and I have zero regrets acquiring it.

Edit: And I agree that a BM3 Stage 1 OTS wakes the car up, is safe, and is well worth the price. Some warranty risk, but I certainly it's worth it. YMMV.
Your M3 looks sick, I do like my car a lot don't get me wrong. But I just don't love it, would have got an M3 but there just wasn't a lot of them out there.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #31
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

OP clearly don't know shit about cars if he thought he was going to get a similar feel from an m4 than a hellcat and a gtr. And who complains about the value of a car after you bought it? Aint shit you or anyone else can do about that. Lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #32
BluM4
Private
Rep
Drives: Blue M4

Sell it and buy something else. What is so complicated and needs to be discussed? It is not like you paid MSRP for a new car. Beside you are being a troll, I don't get your points.
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2019, 08:39 PM   #33
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I was just looking for an over all new driving experience, always been a fan of BMW, now that I own one can't seem to figure out why people love them so much. Everyone has different taste I guess.
Turn off the electronics that save you from yourself; shift at redline don't let off the accelerator.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #34
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Go track it, come back, and re-post. This baby is alive when you put it in the corners, not the straights (although, it does for me either way). And throw a tune on it you silly person, you!
Appreciate 2
jmg18658.50
minn1914018.00
      05-18-2019, 09:32 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I was almost regretting my decision a few months ago as well, as I felt emotionally disconnected with the car, which was brand new. However, once the break-in period of 1200 miles was complete I took it to some back roads and pushed it like I didn't care about the tires. The car suddenly came alive! I noticed it could do things my old M3 couldn't do at the limit. When I had an MPE installed the deal was sealed, this is an amazingly fun car. Hearing the exhaust really enhanced the driving experience. So maybe you can go that route. The M3/4 engine and exhaust note leave a lot to be desired, especially coming from a Hellcat yourself.

Another thing is that the DSC is way too aggressive. I drive in nothing but MDM. It's a lot more fun.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
RustySeatbelt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 ZR1

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you define experience? What do you normally prefer from, and how do you use your cars?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #37
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Hey, whats up community?

I love cars! I have owned a Corvette, Hellcat, two GT-Rs, and I just got my first Bimmer about two months ago - a 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT.

I guess I am a little disappointed with the performance compared to the cost, and I am wondering if maybe there is something I am not seeing. So I am asking for a little guidance.
The answer here is simple. None of your prior vehicles were from premium brands, while BMW is the quintessential German luxury make. So, you’ve simply stumbled unwittingly into a performance car whose value is split between performance and luxury, but is skewed too far toward the latter for your tastes.

This means you should also stay away from Mercedes AMG, Audi Sport (RS), Lexus F, Cadillac V, and other in-house luxury brand performance division products. BMW M typically checks in at the top of the class among these and other similar cars, so if you don’t like the value equation of the M4, you are not likely to be satisfied by the others either.

So, in the future, stay away from performance vehicles on this list:

https://www.edmunds.com/luxury/

And please stay very, very far away from non-performance vehicles on that list or you’ll be even more regretful, and end up writing even more quasi-troll posts on forums across the whole internet, with a trail of tears so slippery that the wambulance wipes out on its way to the first world problems trauma center.

Or, at the very least, tread into those brands with extreme caution. Some, like maybe a Porsche GT model, might actually tempt your Hellcat-forged adrenaline tastebuds. Just don’t expect to pick one up for less than $100k on the second hand market.

There, now you’ve competed the final phase of the research you started out on before you jumped into the M4, and you’ve now saved yourself countless thousands in future buyer’s remorse. Plus, your career “in the car business” just got a jolt in the buttocks, and you can now go on to be an expert lease broker. I’ll send you the check for 20 minutes of BimmerPost school.
Appreciate 14
ra2289303.50
jlspeed29485.00
RickFLM410957.50
minn1914018.00
JamesGames1326.00
Isj52.00
alex23642857.00
Arcades8163.50
TideMD291.50
      05-18-2019, 11:49 PM   #38
ra2289
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
....with a trail of tears so slippery that the wambulance wipes out on its way to the first world problems trauma center.
This was my favorite bit.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #39
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
I did my research which is why the overall situation is not that bad. I just assumed that the M4 would have a lot more to offer with an $80k price tag and the reputation that it has. And, yes, all cars depreciate, however, this is another level of depreciation.

I am happy enough with the car to drive it for the next six months to a year and break even on it. But, I just wanted to see what it was you guys loved so much about it. I just don't find anything that exciting about the car. The interior is a nice quality, but not that much more special than some of the other cars I have had. So what makes this car 80k?

I am in it for $57.5k. Its on Cargurus if anyone wants to check it out. Pretty sick M4 actually, and I would tune it, but voiding factory warranty or putting money into a car is not something I want to do, especially knowing I may be trading it in soon.

I think you answered your own question here dude. What everyone else sees in the car is not going to necessarily be what YOU see in the car... value, speed, excitement all subjective.

Some people have saved and came from say, a Japanese car or kia or some other unremarkable car and are completely blown away buy the M's performance. Vette, GTR, Hellcat all different beasts.. sure they may be close in price in used dollars but that really has no correlation with performance and driving dynamics...

I just picked one up for about the same price and have zero interest in any vette, GTR or especially a hellcat for my needs and driving style...

did you not drive the car before purchasing?
      05-19-2019, 01:54 AM   #40
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

the funniest part about this is that he's in the 'car business'.

Did you look at 2015 M3 prices before purchasing a 2018 ? You do know about depreciation curves right ? This isn't some rare GT3rs or speciale.

performance wise. How is an M3 on the same playing field as a GTR?? The GTR ran 10s out the box, had DCT, and a bigger displacement motor. Once you mod is completely in the GTRs favor with its awd system.

You buy the M3 because it gives you near-GTR levels of performance (especially once you mod), while still offering a ton of luxury/refinement inside, the option of a 6 speed, and rwd. And it weighs less than the GTR and hellcat, by a good amount.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:33 AM   #41
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2289 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
....with a trail of tears so slippery that the wambulance wipes out on its way to the first world problems trauma center.
This was my favorite bit.
Classic!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #42
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Tune it - it's so worth it.
The chances of warranty being voided are really low - life's too short to drive cars you don't enjoy.

Tune it, track it - then love it or trade it.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #43
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:

If it cost you 57k then you can probably get rid of it for at least 55k (plus or minus 1-2k) if it has under 20k miles. Trade in value of course
      05-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #44
einscot
Banned
Rep
Drives: '17 f80 ZCP, '94 d90, '13 x5d

GTF outta here with that ish.

oh hey guys, i'm in the car business but i wanted to shit on this car so i went to the dedicated forum to do it
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread