ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #23
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Well bad news, 2 weeks after track day, i just heard the sound yesterday again. It was more suddle this time though and took a more agressive throttle application and then release mid turn to reproduce. I wonder if i should:

1) change fluid again with OEM at different shop
2) change fluid with Redline diff fluid
3) install turner dual mount plate along with red bushings

What do yall think?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #24
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Did the shop previously comment on the status of the bushings? Any sign of them being worn? If one of them is shot then maybe that's your issue, though if it's really a grinding noise that sounds more internal. If bushings OK, and in particular if you replace them with all reds, you may end up getting other clunking noises you don't want if you do replace them (based on what other people have reported with those), and it's not a cheap job. Consensus seems to be that Powerflex purples are a better compromise in terms of noise.

Changing the fluid is easy, might be worth doing it one final time as a DIY to take that off the table.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #25
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Did the shop previously comment on the status of the bushings? Any sign of them being worn? If one of them is shot then maybe that's your issue, though if it's really a grinding noise that sounds more internal. If bushings OK, and in particular if you replace them with all reds, you may end up getting other clunking noises you don't want if you do replace them (based on what other people have reported with those), and it's not a cheap job. Consensus seems to be that Powerflex purples are a better compromise in terms of noise.

Changing the fluid is easy, might be worth doing it one final time as a DIY to take that off the table.
Shop said that all bushings looked fine and they swear that its not the diff. Do you think i should flush it again with OEM oil or try Redline?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #26
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Shop said that all bushings looked fine and they swear that its not the diff. Do you think i should flush it again with OEM oil or try Redline?
I guess maybe try something other than what's in there now, though not sure why OEM would be making noise. FWIW, I've had no issues with Motul Gear Comp 75w-140. Never ran Redline myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:42 PM   #27
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
I guess maybe try something other than what's in there now, though not sure why OEM would be making noise. FWIW, I've had no issues with Motul Gear Comp 75w-140. Never ran Redline myself.
This what I use. It's great
Appreciate 0