proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
charlesw325
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Car Seat in M4 - How is it ?

I'm looking to see if anybody has the experience of placing a convertible car seat in rear facing position in the M4 ? I have a 1 year old kid who has been ridding with me since born in my M4 while I'm driving . She is out growing the infant car seat so it's time to switch , however , while the infant car seat also takes lots of space , it's a lot lower compared to a convertible car seat so although it's not very convenient , it has been OK when trying to put her into the car seat. Now since I still want to continuing driving my M4 instead my wife's Q7 when I have my kids in the car , I'm wondering how is the experience to put the convertible car seat in the M4 in rear facing position ? Is it going to be really painful since what I can imagine is I may have to place the car seat on passenger side and have her enter the car from the driver side , etc.

any info will be helpful , also recommendations of car seat that works better in this situation will be great , I feel it'll be generally OK for forward facing position and the main issue will be the total length from the front to the back to the carseat and also maybe the height ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

If I made it work in my M2 it will definitely work in the M4. It's a big car and you won't have many worries other than kicking / scuffing up the back side of the seat when you switch to forward facing. We bought the Clek infant car seat and its very lightweight but one of the best out there / safest blah blah and the detachable / click in base is well worth it. For next size up we went with the britax boulevard click tight as my wife who also has a Q7 oddly enough (F pace P400 comes next week to replace it tho lol) is big on the safety thing so this car seat looks like it could take the impact as well as a smart car, steel reinforced and all that so if you're really picky about weight distribution you might not like it

If you don't want to read all that above I'll answer your question with the short version - you will be perfectly fine with a child seat in an M4.

Last edited by quikM2; 04-06-2021 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
charlesw325
Rep

Thanks for the info ! Now I feel way better! I have always been worrying about the rear facing position car seat since if it doesn't work , it's going to severely reduce the time I can have in my M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
If I made it work in my M2 it will definitely work in the M4. It's a big car and you won't have many worries other than kicking / scuffing up the back side of the seat when you switch to forward facing. We bought the Clek infant car seat and its very lightweight but one of the best out there / safest blah blah and the detachable / click in base is well worth it. For next size up we went with the britax boulevard click tight as my wife who also has a Q7 oddly enough (F pace P400 comes next week to replace it tho lol) is big on the safety thing so this car seat looks like it could take the impact as well as a smart car, steel reinforced and all that so if you're really picky about weight distribution you might not like it

If you don't want to read all that above I'll answer your question with the short version - you will perfectly fine with a child seat in an M4.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
teofil
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

I don't know which car seat you are using. I use 4moms car seat, and I've placed it in my friend's M4 once, and it was placed perfectly.

Last edited by teofil; 06-26-2021 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
Rich150001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Did you all have an infant car seat? Was it a PITA or not too bad - I consider myself pretty agile.

My 225k mile Toyota Camry beater just croaked and have a baby coming in 6 months. Wondering if its worth keeping the M4 and dallying it.
      12-03-2021, 09:11 PM   #6
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

I have 2 in the back!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
MW F82 ///M4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

It’s certainly challenging, but it will work. I believe I had two gracos back there. Also, seat covers are a must. I bought a waterproof cover that attaches to and protects the entire rear, and two thick rubber mats to sit on top of that to protect the leather from the sharp edges of the seats. My kids are in boosters now so far easier! You’ll be fine
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #8
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

Rear facing is a challenge. You've got to physically get in the seat to put the kid in and then buckle them in. Not impossible but not convenient either. The infant seat is easy bc it just clicks in and the kid is already in the seat. I used to crawl in and sit on the center console...wasn't fun but it worked.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #9
charlesw325
Rep

I previously had the infant car seat and it was totally fine since the child would already be in the seat and bucked and you then put the entire car seat onto the base.

Convertible car seat is a challenge in rear facing position but still doable . There are enough space in the M4 to put in a full size car seat in the rear .
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
M4Dutch
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i xdrive

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Following!
Although I have an f80 (traded in my 911 when we found out we were expecting) I wonder if you guys have any experience with what toddler seat to buy. We used the Nuna for the first year but now he's almost 1 so we need to move on to the next phase.
Wifey wants another Nuna (Rava) but not sure if there's better choices out there.
MPE carbon tips
BM3 stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #11
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
I have an M3 so can't help with the M4 stuff, but I had a Nuna Pipa Rx with the base, and just swapped the holder between my car and my wife's. It fit with room to spare for the front passenger seat. Now that my son is getting bigger, we needed a new seat and ended up going for a 3 in 1, getting a Nuna Exec. It is rear facing, changes to front facing and then finally changes to a booster. It fits better in my M3 than the Nuna Pipa Rx and is really easy to use.
Appreciate 1
M4Dutch36.00
      12-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #12
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Have two front facing car seats in M4. I moved my 2nd one directly from infant car seat to front facing. I kept him longer in infant car seat and he met the requirements of moving to front facing at the time. Rear facing in M4 (unlike M3) would be challenging imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #13
charlesw325
Rep

I have the Maxi-Cosi 5-in-1 convertible in rear facing position. it's a large car set but space still isn't an issue. Main challenge is till putting the kid in and out of the car seat , still manageable to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #14
M4Dutch
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
I have an M3 so can't help with the M4 stuff, but I had a Nuna Pipa Rx with the base, and just swapped the holder between my car and my wife's. It fit with room to spare for the front passenger seat. Now that my son is getting bigger, we needed a new seat and ended up going for a 3 in 1, getting a Nuna Exec. It is rear facing, changes to front facing and then finally changes to a booster. It fits better in my M3 than the Nuna Pipa Rx and is really easy to use.
The Nuna fits well in the M3? We will use it rear facing as well in the beginning and then change to front facing.
Did you get 2, for each car one? Or are you swapping the Nuna as well? We have the Nuna Pipa now as well, and bought 2 bases so we don't have to swap that all the time.
MPE carbon tips
BM3 stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #15
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Dutch View Post
The Nuna fits well in the M3? We will use it rear facing as well in the beginning and then change to front facing.
Did you get 2, for each car one? Or are you swapping the Nuna as well? We have the Nuna Pipa now as well, and bought 2 bases so we don't have to swap that all the time.
For the Nuna Pipa Rx, you do need to move the passenger seat more forward, but you still have room to be comfortable. The Nuna Exec isn't as long, so you can move the seat back, as well as the rake of the seat. We bought two Nuna Exec's, for each car, as there's no base to move around. Our thought though was that when we have a second, we'd keep that in for our oldest, and go back to the Nuna Pipa Rx for the newborn.

We use two bases, and one baby seat. Just move the seat around and keep the base in the car. I will say though, that the LATCH does not work with the Nuna base, so you need to use the seat belt. It works perfectly in my wife's Audi, so initially it was a bit harder to install, but once it's in, it doesn't move.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #16
M4Dutch
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Dutch View Post
For the Nuna Pipa Rx, you do need to move the passenger seat more forward, but you still have room to be comfortable. The Nuna Exec isn't as long, so you can move the seat back, as well as the rake of the seat. We bought two Nuna Exec's, for each car, as there's no base to move around. Our thought though was that when we have a second, we'd keep that in for our oldest, and go back to the Nuna Pipa Rx for the newborn.

We use two bases, and one baby seat. Just move the seat around and keep the base in the car. I will say though, that the LATCH does not work with the Nuna base, so you need to use the seat belt. It works perfectly in my wife's Audi, so initially it was a bit harder to install, but once it's in, it doesn't move.
Awesome, you had the exact same setup as I currently have with the Nuna Pipa. We have two bases and one seat. Indeed couldn't use the latches in the m3, but in my wifes Audi it works perfect.
Good to know that the Nuna Exec is smaller in footprint so will fit even better.
We will probably get two as well, don't want to switch between cars constantly.
Thanks for the info! Hope this helps more new dads and moms on the forum!
MPE carbon tips
BM3 stage 1
Appreciate 0