R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
DroHernandez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3CS

UPDATE: Found a set screw missing in one of the charge pipes allowing for air to escape. Sounded nice, but probably losing power. Replaced with a set screw from Ace Hardware. I'm sad that they were so loose from the factory. The one that was still on was so loose I was able to loosen it with my hand. Anyways, problem fixed. Thanks!

Hey guys,

I'm not a usual forum poster. I usually just look through things to find answers, but today that changes.
I bought a new-to-me M3CS. Upon further investigation, I found out that the car had been modified and reverted to stock before I bought it. Previous owner had done the Crankhub, Spark Plugs, Downpipe, and Charge Pipes for physical modifications, and then a tune. None of this is pertinent to what I was going to say.
I heard the horrors from the crankhub and the charge pipes so I decided to do the charge pipes, as I feel like the crankhub was probably never reverted to stock due to the difficulty.
Whenever I work on my card I'm super meticulous, and make sure that I do everything by the book. I finished the install, but felt like the air box was allowing air to escape due to it not being a tight fit with the air inlet. Well I got some zip tie and tightened the air box to the inlet. Not really tightly, just to make sure that the air wasn't escaping.
Driving today, I realized that under load, the induction sound is much louder. I had an Evo pushing 32 psi, and it's not as loud as the Evo was, but it still is louder than it was pre-aftermarket charge pipes. Is it normal to have that sound be much louder? Everywhere I've read it says that the charge pipes don't add performance or sound. Mechanically, I can't see how it would add performance or sound.

TL;DR: is it possible at all, to get a louder induction sound with aftermarket charge pipes and no other modifications?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

it is normal to hear more of the turbo sound when the upgraded charge pipe is larger than stock, but it can also be due to a boost leak.

The only way to check is to do a boost leak test .

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
spdrcrgtr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Heritage

How do you check for boost leak other than a "smoke check" where they run some smoke thru the intake to see if it comes thru some crack/space
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:21 AM   #4
romemmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrcrgtr View Post
How do you check for boost leak other than a "smoke check" where they run some smoke thru the intake to see if it comes thru some crack/space
You need to pressurize your intake post-Turbo(s) to do a proper boost leak test. A smoke test only catches things that are leaking with no pressure - and often the leak is during boost.

I typically fabricate a hose and connect to the turbo inlets directly (you don’t want to pressurize the pre-turbo pipes themselves as those run under negative pressure, as they are connected to the turbo inlet not outlet).

You need to make sure your throttle is closed (or disconnect at throttle and block the pipe) then pressurize with a compressor. I typically take it beyond max target boost to be sure, and you just listen for leaks and fix them. If you just leave the throttle pipe on and rely on the closed throttle butterfly you may get some leaks there, though should be minimal on a fly by wire car.

Thanks!

S.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Thats interesting. I got less induction sound and turbo spool after installing VTT charge pipes
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

If sealed properly the charge pipe shouldn't make any difference in sound. The intake should be the only induction sound you hear.

Be sure you installed the o rings and the charge pipe you have fits properly. I have not heard or had any issues with our kit.
Appreciate 0