GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
My biggest surprise was seeing Bernhard Hausmaninger again. He is such a great BMW guy!!!
Congrats on the great car and what looked like a great trip. I completely agree re Bernhard. He has now delivered 3 of 4 of my ED cars. We specifically asked for him when there in June. He is a wonderful ambassador for BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Congrats on the great car and what looked like a great trip. I completely agree re Bernhard. He has now delivered 3 of 4 of my ED cars. We specifically asked for him when there in June. He is a wonderful ambassador for BMW.
Deja Vu, Bernhard also delivered my AW M3 with sunroof Nice guy.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Mea culpa, no apologies needed, I did not intend for my response to be aggressive.

There are a lot of reasons why folks are timid about ED. Foreign language, $, different culture, etc.

Getting over those fears is so empowering! The world is a big place, and exploring the planet is surely one of the big kicks we humans can get.

BMW has designed ED to be a thrill. Bernhard Hausmaninger and others have put together a wonderful experience at the Welt. BMW AG has made ED a financial no-brainer. You save > 4k on a F8x. That is plenty for a week (or two) trip in Europe.

Driving in Italy is a challenge in places. To be frank it is probably best to rent a Fiat convertible or take trains. That said, the best driving I had on my latest ED was racing a gaggle of Alfas on A7 from Isola del Cantone to Bolzaneto -- crazy fast > double posted limits, they were sliding going 9/10ths while the M3 was stable and composed at 8/10ths. I was worried about them, not me. They were using the entire road, hitting apexes diving across both lanes, making passing a difficult effort, but in the end I just smoked them. But that was Autostrada. The narrow confines of the streets around Lago di Como and the Liguria coast are a different story. It is a miracle that my M3 escaped unharmed from that gauntlet. You tuck in your mirrors, remain hyper-attentive, and pray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Looks like I will! I love Italy but not driving there (actually I don't mind driving there as long as it is not my car!).

My apologies, I didn't realize she was yours as she only was in one picture - I thought it was a random picture. I don't make a habit of commenting on people's SOs in posts.

Good point. It's the small imperfections (curbed wheel, paint chips) that I worry about, but in the end the car will not remain jewel-like even if I take US delivery!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #26
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Yes!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 08:03 PM   #27
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Deja Vu, Bernhard also delivered my AW M3 with sunroof Nice guy.
Yes x3 !!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #28
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

so was the total cost of $3k including you and your 'passenger'?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Nope. We went Dutch. 1280 airfare each. Hotels and airbnbs about 1000 each. 300 gas, 100 tolls & parking. Meals ? Wonderful companion, totally on top of Nav, only turned ghost white twice and did not complain even then. Needless to say a spectacularly fun trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #30
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Mea culpa, no apologies needed, I did not intend for my response to be aggressive.

There are a lot of reasons why folks are timid about ED. Foreign language, $, different culture, etc.

Getting over those fears are so empowering! The world is a big place, and exploring the planet is surely one of the big kicks we humans can get.

BMW has designed ED to be a thrill. Bernhard Hausmaninger and others have put together a wonderful experience at the Welt. BMW AG has made ED a financial no-brainer. You save > 4k on a F8x. That is plenty for a week (or two) trip in Europe.

Driving in Italy is a challenge. To be frank it is probably best to rent a Fiat convertible or take trains. That said, the best driving I had on my latest ED was racing a gaggle of Alfas on A7 from Isola del Cantone to Bolzaneto -- crazy fast, they were sliding going 9/10ths while the M3 was stable and composed at 8/10ths. I was worried about them, not me. In the end I just smoked them. But that was Autostrada. The narrow confines of the streets around Lago di Como and the Liguria coast are a different story. It is a miracle that my M3 escaped unharmed from that gauntlet. You tuck in your mirrors, remain hyper-attentive, and pray.
Thanks and !
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #31
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Great looking trip and car! How long was your total trip start to finish? I skimmed the thread but couldn't find it. Taking delivery next year, and looking forward to my first ED. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #32
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

9-10 days in all; 8 days traveling in Europe. Left states Monday, flew into MUC Tuesday AM, spent Tues afternoon walking Munich, ditto Wed AM, picked car up Wed afternoon, drove to Neuschwanstein, rainbow, great dinner, great hike thurs AM, then drove to Lago di Como, arriving thurs afternoon, went for swim etc. nice dinner. Went to Villa Balboniello Fri AM ferried to Bellagio, then back to Ossuccio, another good dinner. Left Sat AM for Portofino, got there Sat afternoon. Hiked around Castle Brown on the peninsula, had an excellent dinner at place locals recommended. Sunday AM hiked back out on peninsula and went snorkling, then Prosecco at lighthouse bar. Walked around village in the PM. Took off for Austria early Monday AM, stopped in Süd Tirol for some excursions in the Dolomites, then motored on to Heiligenblut near the Großglochner Monday PM. Had some good hikes that evening and next day (Tuesday), took the cable cars up the mountain. Wed AM drove up the Großglochner and stopped a lot. The north side was heavily fogged in so not much fun. Got down to valley and driving slow with traffic. Got some serious speed once on the autobahn, dropped off car at loginout at 3PM, ate dinner, hung out at surf, got on flight to London. Back to states next AM (thursday).

Way too short.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #33
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

More pics... Four more of Lago di Como, then a bunch from Portofino.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #34
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Looks like a great trip Am really looking forward to my ED next year. Thanks for sharing. Can you elaborate a bit more on Italy? I was planning on making that a major part of my trip. Is it that bad?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #35
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

And a few more of Portofino, then Süd Tirol, then Heiligenblut
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #36
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

And some more Großglochner...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #37
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
And a few more of Portofino, then Süd Tirol, then Heiligenblut
Heiligenblut, just before the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. I love this road
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #38
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
Looks like a great trip Am really looking forward to my ED next year. Thanks for sharing. Can you elaborate a bit more on Italy? I was planning on making that a major part of my trip. Is it that bad?
Italy... Bellissima, sqisita. It is Star Wars, prosecco, & tiramisu...
I love the autostradas, but the village roads are too narrow for M3s. Avoid the crowds. It is so close to Munich, and Austria. Heaven. Gelato.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-25-2014, 10:38 PM   #39
bmoneystatus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
9-10 days in all; 8 days traveling in Europe. Left states Monday, flew into MUC Tuesday AM, spent Tues afternoon walking Munich, ditto Wed AM, picked car up Wed afternoon, drove to Neuschwanstein, rainbow, great dinner, great hike thurs AM, then drove to Lago di Como, arriving thurs afternoon, went for swim etc. nice dinner. Went to Villa Balboniello Fri AM ferried to Bellagio, then back to Ossuccio, another good dinner. Left Sat AM for Portofino, got there Sat afternoon. Hiked around Castle Brown on the peninsula, had an excellent dinner at place locals recommended. Sunday AM hiked back out on peninsula and went snorkling, then Prosecco at lighthouse bar. Walked around village in the PM. Took off for Austria early Monday AM, stopped in Süd Tirol for some excursions in the Dolomites, then motored on to Heiligenblut near the Großglochner Monday PM. Had some good hikes that evening and next day (Tuesday), took the cable cars up the mountain. Wed AM drove up the Großglochner and stopped a lot. The north side was heavily fogged in so not much fun. Got down to valley and driving slow with traffic. Got some serious speed once on the autobahn, dropped off car at loginout at 3PM, ate dinner, hung out at surf, got on flight to London. Back to states next AM (thursday).

Way too short.
Wow, thanks for the detail, it will be very helpful for planning my trip. I'm hoping to do 14-17 days in total. Hopefully that doesn't leave me feeling like it was too short, but it likely will regardless of the time spent there.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #40
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Heiligenblut, just before the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. I love this road
I do too, but I have never felt comfortable driving fast on it. The Timmelsjoch and some others are better for powerslides. Somehow it seems irreverent to engage in hooliganism on the Großglochner. GrussGott.

And the little back roads in the Dolomites! I was almost wishing for a X1...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #41
khanyam4
Ring Leader of G8X Trolls
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: NA

very nice doc and just like every euro delivery thread i'm posting in I hope to do it at least once in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #42
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanyam4 View Post
very nice doc and just like every euro delivery thread i'm posting in I hope to do it at least once in my lifetime.
Once you start you won't stop...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #43
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

fantastic write up doc! thank for sharing all the wonderful pics and experience with the M3. those places are beautiful. i definitely gotta get to Lago di Como once in my life; looks like a dream! aloha!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #44
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynstylem4 View Post
fantastic write up doc! thank for sharing all the wonderful pics and experience with the M3. those places are beautiful. i definitely gotta get to Lago di Como once in my life; looks like a dream! aloha!!!
The lake district in N. Italy is pretty amazing. And very relaxed. In Tremezzo I was mistaken for George Clooney once (sunglasses... driving cool car).

But Hawaii is also one of the most incredible places in the world, some of the best hikes, windsurfing, snorkeling etc.
Appreciate 0