Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

How do you listen to music?

Radio, USB stick/hard drive, iphone corded, iphone bluetooth?

I'm curious to how you all deal with playlists, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:07 AM   #2
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Old iPhone 4S which I use strictly as an iPod connected through the USB port. It is vastly better than my iPhone 6+ through bluetooth audio which sounded completely crappy.

Playlists, etc. function exactly the same whether the music is played from my iPhone 6 through bluetooth or from my iPhone 4S through the USB port. I love how the steering wheel roller/button control automatically displays the song list on the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Copy music onto USB stick and import it all onto the hard drive. Leave the video files on the USB and play from there.
      02-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #4
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

iPhone 6 streaming iTunes Match, XM, Pandora, etc. the idea is you don't have to sync anything anymore. it's always with you.

edited - the iPhone is plugged in for quality but the music streams to the iPhone.
      02-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
e36
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Thanks for the responses, guys. First BMW coming in next month since my high school e36 318. A CD changer was a big deal then. F89 will be my first car w I drive and I wanted to know what to expect and use. I love my music and want to be ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Old iPhone 4S which I use strictly as an iPod connected through the USB port. It is vastly better than my iPhone 6+ through bluetooth audio which sounded completely crappy.

Playlists, etc. function exactly the same whether the music is played from my iPhone 6 through bluetooth or from my iPhone 4S through the USB port. I love how the steering wheel roller/button control automatically displays the song list on the HUD.
This is likely the route that I'll be going. I have an old iPhone 5 that isn't being used. My biggest concern is playlists. I'd imagine that you could access all playlists through the I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post
Copy music onto USB stick and import it all onto the hard drive. Leave the video files on the USB and play from there.
Love this too. My friend has a bunch of folders set up as his "playlists". I've been reading of better ways on the forums to create playlists for the usb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpimpkar View Post
iPhone 6 streaming iTunes Match, XM, Pandora, etc. the idea is you don't have to sync anything anymore. it's always with you.

edited - the iPhone is plugged in for quality but the music streams to the iPhone.
How much data do you go through a month?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I go through maybe five gigabytes of a ten gigabyte plan that now has rollover. I can't see data being an issue in the near future.

a three minute 128kbps encoded song uses about three megabytes. maybe a meg a minute as a rough measure? it's difficult to burn through your data at that rate. I can still get satellite radio through the iPhone if I want too. playlists are automatically updated too.

my idea was "all my content anywhere, anytime". I don't want to have to worry about syncing or my satellite radio subscription is only keyed to the car.
      02-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
viciouz
M4 JAY
Rep
Drives: '96 E36 m3, '15 F82 m4

I use Sirius XM. The M4 came with a free subscription so might as well use it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

either SAT radio or bluetooth audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

I typically use my ears .

iPhone 6 via Bluetooth = 90%
HD Radio = 10%

Satellite radio is garbage (sound quality-wise).
      02-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

320 kbps MP3 files copied to the hard drive. Anything else sounds like garbage (to my ears). I just don't understand how people can listen to music through the crappy sat radio, or via low quality (128 kbps) mp3s. If I had the time, I would re-rip all my cds to FLAC.
      02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #11
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er View Post
I typically use my ears .

iPhone 6 via Bluetooth = 90%
HD Radio = 10%

Satellite radio is garbage (sound quality-wise).
Damn, stole my joke....

90% of the time tunes on my iphone. I alternate between plugging iphone into USB or Bluetooth. Mostly depends on how long drive is. For short drives, BT. longer drives, I turn on the connected app and plug in via USB.

10% sat radio. Generally, though, I think it sucks because music on the radio tends to be shitty, not so much the sound quality (other than CBC 3, have yet to find a station that has all or mostly good music and isn't just repetitive as hell)

Once that free subscription expires, that will be the end of my Sirius use (cannot fathom paying $15-$20 a month for such bad song selection)
      02-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #12
Blackfield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a car

How big is the internal hard drive that comes with F8x?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
DFozzy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 (MG/SS)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 Acura MDX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Damn, stole my joke....

90% of the time tunes on my iphone. I alternate between plugging iphone into USB or Bluetooth. Mostly depends on how long drive is. For short drives, BT. longer drives, I turn on the connected app and plug in via USB.

10% sat radio. Generally, though, I think it sucks because music on the radio tends to be shitty, not so much the sound quality (other than CBC 3, have yet to find a station that has all or mostly good music and isn't just repetitive as hell)

Once that free subscription expires, that will be the end of my Sirius use (cannot fathom paying $15-$20 a month for such bad song selection)
If it would make any difference to you, when they call at the end of your free trial, tell them you want the $7/month deal, and make them waive the BS 'fees'. Of all my friends that have sirius, I don't know of any that pay anywhere close the advertised prices. Sirius seems to allow their call centre reps to negotiate .... I just did that exact thing when my 3 month trial that came with my MDX expired a few weeks ago.

Now back to patiently waiting for my M3 to arrive....
Appreciate 0