Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

2018 F80 - No Audio from speakers

Hey everyone. Newer M3 owner here. Have had my car a little over a week and absolutely love it. I do have an issue that I'm trying to figure out. When I picked my car up I was so excited that I didn't realize that my audio was not working. I don't have any errors or pop ups stating that there is an issue.

I took the car to my local BMW service department and they scanned the car and got a fault 8053A5: ASD: Invalid coding data for equalising. They wanted to run a software update to see if that would fix the issue, but since there is a tune on the car they did not want to chance reverting the tune to stock. I told them I'll try and backup the tune and bring it back once I've done it. I'm fortunate that they were cool with me having a tune on the car and I'm grateful that they did not just go ahead with the software update.

I purchased a new BM3 license and used the read DME option under the diagnostics tab. I was not able to do a full read (it would give an error right off the bat), just a partial. I am not sure if having just a partial read is enough to revert back to the tune in the case that the DME does get flashed and reverted back to stock. I have opened a ticket with Protuning Freaks to see why I can't do a full read and if a partial read of the DME is enough.

My question is, has anyone run into a similar issue? From searching online I believe I may have a blown amp. I still have about 6 months of warranty left on the car and the service department seemed pretty chill about me having mods and being tuned. Having the work covered under warranty won't be an issue, I'm just concerned of them doing any software updates and causing my tune to get wiped and the DME getting locked.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 03:05 AM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

A bad ASD module does not affect the audio of the HK OEM amp, only in the HiFi OEM amp. Unless this M3 is from outside the USA, there’s no HiFi audio system in the 2018 M3, HK was standard.

The ASD module can be unplugged and removed from the car and still have sound.

It could be possible that the previous owner tried to code out the ASD module and ended up coding the HK OEM amp by mistake.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 05:52 AM   #3
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Is there any way of checking this? I've got Bimmercode as well as BM3.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:42 AM   #4
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 Comp Package

Did you figure this out?

I’m in same boat exploring options right now outside of warranty.

No tone warning, no sound at all c clock, doesn’t even show numbers.

About to check amp, then fuses googling my way to something lol.

I’ve been wondering, can you replace the bmw amp with aftermarket? Would be cheaper then the oem for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GritsNGravy View Post
Did you figure this out?

I’ve been wondering, can you replace the bmw amp with aftermarket? Would be cheaper then the oem for sure.
I haven't gotten it figured out yet. I had an appointment scheduled, but then got in a minor accident and still waiting to get my car back from the body shop. I am hopeful that I will either:

A) Get my car back in the next few weeks before my warranty expires and I get my car looked at under warranty.

Or

2) When the body shop takes my car into BMW to have it scanned and any codes looked at/cleared, BMW will figure out the audio issue.

If either of these outcomes don't workout, then I'll more than likely try to see if I can either pick up a used amp for cheap or find someone local that's willing to let me try out their amp. I've already checked all the fuses and all of that checked out. The only other things I can think of is it's either the amp or possibly the headunit.

I'll report back here once I get it figured out. Also, keep me posted if you figure out what your issue is.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #6
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj_F80 View Post
Quote:
Did you figure this out?

I haven't gotten it figured out yet. I had an appointment scheduled, but then got in a minor accident and still waiting to get my car back from the body shop. I am hopeful that I will either:

A) Get my car back in the next few weeks before my warranty expires and I get my car looked at under warranty.

Or

2) When the body shop takes my car into BMW to have it scanned and any codes looked at/cleared, BMW will figure out the audio issue.

If either of these outcomes don't workout, then I'll more than likely try to see if I can either pick up a used amp for cheap or find someone local that's willing to let me try out their amp. I've already checked all the fuses and all of that checked out. The only other things I can think of is it's either the amp or possibly the headunit.

I'll report back here once I get it figured out. Also, keep me posted if you figure out what your issue is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj_F80 View Post
Quote:
Did you figure this out?

I'm in same boat exploring options right now outside of warranty.

No tone warning, no sound at all c clock, doesn't even show numbers.

I've been wondering, can you replace the bmw amp with aftermarket? Would be cheaper then the oem for sure.

Or

Will do. Good luck to us both! Hope the accident wasn't to bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will do. Good luck to us both! Hope the accident wasn't to bad.
I appreciate it. It looks a hell of a lot worse than it is, fortunately insurance covered everything, even the aftermarket parts that were damaged. Only thing that hurt was my heart, lol. Hoping to get it back this month.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
Kevin @ Integral Audio
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i | Z3 2.8 | F30 328

Lj_F80 yours definitely sounds like a coding issue. As Encanto said, ASD in the HK can't cause an issue like that. GritsNGravy I would bet you have a different issue, and yours very well could be a failed HK amp. You can replace with aftermarket but you need a MOST converter if you do not have a functioning HK amp.

www.integralaudio.com
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2022, 03:54 PM   #9
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin @ Integral Audio View Post
Lj_F80 yours definitely sounds like a coding issue. As Encanto said, ASD in the HK can't cause an issue like that. GritsNGravy I would bet you have a different issue, and yours very well could be a failed HK amp. You can replace with aftermarket but you need a MOST converter if you do not have a functioning HK amp.
I really hope that's the case. I'm still not sure when I'll be getting my car back from the shop, and the shitty thing is my warranty just ended on the 14th. I need to call BMW and see if there is anything they can do to help as I was planning on having them work it while under warranty, but the situation with the body shop and parts delays has made it to where I couldn't get it done during my warranty period.

If not, hopefully there's someone local that has the capabilities to code that'd be willing to help out. I've reached out on FB, but everyone seems to want to charge a couple hundred bucks, which I can understand making some money. Hopefully there's someone local who'll do it for some beers or lunch, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #10
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quick update my end - welcome any suggestions anyone may have… (BTW, Lj - Hope you have gotten your car back and all is working!).

So, I finally got out to the fuse box this morning (have been away for work travel and then vaca). While there are a ton missing (which seems to be normal), I checked all the ones listed for the audio/display unit.

The #123 (radio fuse) others mentioned is not burned out/broken. I checked all others for that section, and came across a small mini 5 amp #159, which was in fact blown.

I replaced the fuse, but still same issue remains!

I am going to re-code today the car with my BM3 stage 2 tune, hoping that maybe that reset will make something work.

Should anyone have any suggestions though, please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #11
Kenny's X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Stumbled across this thread and was wondering if you guys got this figured out? I have an X5 and a couple months ago my sound went out. I thought it was a bad amp and after buying 2 used amps from Ebay, I figured it probably wasn't the amp. I have checked all the fuses and they look fine. I then made an appt with the dealership and they checked it and said I needed a new headunit ($2,000). I decided not to get it at that time. Well about 3 weeks ago, the sound suddenly came on but every once in a while when I'm driving I'll hear a couple to a few beeps (Sounds like when a computer is time out before it would go to sleep mode) then the unit would turn off and turn back on. Is this something that you guys experienced? Yesterday it did the beeps then totally went out again and hasn't come back on.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #12
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Unfortunately not yet. Replaced a fuse which was blown (small like 5 amp think), but didn’t fix anything so likely not related.

I am planning next (this weekend) to reset by re-applying my stage 2 BM3 tune, to see if that fixes it somehow. After which, I will have to go to dealer or something :/

Unfortunately, I had another issue come up today which now has my car stuck in driveway. Starting driving and heard loud pop, then crunching/scratching from right rear. Pulled back in, looked and it’s WAY lower then other side. Seems maybe my shock or something blew, have to inspect this weekend taking wheel off - but weird since car just hit 29K miles (drive maybe 2-3K a year lol), but then again I never think about its from 2018. Sucks as warranty just expired end of last year lol :P

Oh fun fun!

Keep us updated, if someone finds fix would be AWESOME
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:37 PM   #13
mineralsc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mineral M3

I know this my not be a help for everyone, but figured I would throw out my experience.

My car is a 2016 F80. The issue I had is I lost all sound but screen was responsive with no errors on screen. The previous day everything was working with no issue. Trouble shot down to a blown fuse#123. Attempted a replacement of the fuse to only pop immediately. So, I disconnected the amp and then checked with a fresh fuse. No issue with fuse, which to me meant the amp was the issue. Instead of replacing the amp, I found a company in Texas (Bavlogic) that would attempt refurbish. Contacted and was extremely helpful and said he could take a look and attempt a fix. So, I shipped the amp and it turns out I had two chips that had failed for voltage control which he said was not a common failure he had seen. Shipped it out immediately and I installed the amp. All is good after the refurb and reinstall. Total turn around time was about 1 week between failure to getting the replacement in.
Appreciate 1
bigj505359.00
      05-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

I still haven't resolved my issue. I have checked all fuses and everything was good. Could possibly be down to the amp or head unit. Also may be a coding problem. I'm currently TDY and don't have the time to troubleshoot. I do have my car with me and it was a fun drive to Tennessee from NC. Will be back home in the beginning of June, so I'll try and get it figured out around then......hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:03 PM   #15
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Checked my amps again today as having same issue, no luck with resetting my tune to reset ecu.

Checked the 5 fuse amp, in slot #159 I previously replaced as was blown - and yet again the fuse is blown :/

Think this means found the problem. Recall reading somewhere I could do some type of test plugging in the amp, to determine if in fact amp needs replacing. But I am not even sure how to get to the amp.

Would be curious to ask, if I wanted to test putting say a 7.5/10 amp in the 5 amp spot that is blowing. Would that extra power maybe help me to determine if the amp is actually shot?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #16
GeetchBob
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Checked my amps again today as having same issue, no luck with resetting my tune to reset ecu.

Checked the 5 fuse amp, in slot #159 I previously replaced as was blown - and yet again the fuse is blown :/

Think this means found the problem. Recall reading somewhere I could do some type of test plugging in the amp, to determine if in fact amp needs replacing. But I am not even sure how to get to the amp.

Would be curious to ask, if I wanted to test putting say a 7.5/10 amp in the 5 amp spot that is blowing. Would that extra power maybe help me to determine if the amp is actually shot?
Did you try a higher amp fuse ? Im having the same exact problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #17
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetchBob View Post
Quote:

Did you try a higher amp fuse ? Im having the same exact problem.
Not yet! Was a little scared to do so.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #18
GeetchBob
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Still riding around with no music ? Ive been looking for amps but those prices are crazyyyy really hoping its not that will unplug it soon and see if fuse still blows
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 06:50 AM   #19
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Still riding around with no music ? Ive been looking for amps but those prices are crazyyyy really hoping its not that will unplug it soon and see if fuse still blows
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately yes, so I either drive with no music, use a lil speaker or drive my wife's x5 lol.

I just bought an extended warranty, so I'm waiting to give a grace period before taking in
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #20
GeetchBob
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately yes, so I either drive with no music, use a lil speaker or drive my wife's x5 lol.

I just bought an extended warranty, so I'm waiting to give a grace period before taking in
Have you gotten it fixed yet ? Im still waiting for a cheap amp to come up
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #21
GritsNGravy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I am taking the car in next week to dealership for diagnosing.

I bought extended warranty the other month, so should be covered.

Let me know if you figure out and I can do same.

//S
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 10:43 PM   #22
M3ntal_F80
New M3 Owner
United_States
Rep

It's been a while, have any of you resolved your issues?

I haven't had the time recently to try and work on mine. I did notice the other day after a hard rain when I opened my trunk water started pouring down towards where the amp sits. Makes me wonder if this happened in the past with the previous owner. Perhaps the amp is fried and I'll need a new one.
Appreciate 0