EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

11-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #21341
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I suppose it all depends on configuration. When I built a Carrera T specced almost identically to my Carrera S, the difference in MSRP was $4k. The T is how the base should've been in the first place IMHO......but I digress.
But when you do that you aren’t checking the boxes for the things standard on the T that aren’t standard on the S and you didn’t option. That probably means you chose the right car for you because you speced it more as a sporty luxury touring car than a sports car, which is great!
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321115.00
M3WC3645.00
      11-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #21342
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
But when you do that you aren’t checking the boxes for the things standard on the T that aren’t standard on the S and you didn’t option. That probably means you chose the right car for you because you speced it more as a sporty luxury touring car than a sports car, which is great!
What are you referring to more specifically? Do you know what options my S has?

Some of the benefits of the T over the base....
  • 7MT (..My CS2 has this)
  • Sport Chrono (..My CS2 has this along with dynamic engine mounts; part of opting for 7MT)
  • LW CF buckets (..the only game changer option in my opinion, but I can't find them on the configurator)
  • LW glass/rear seat delete (..I didn't spec LW glass because people were having issues with it cracking prematurely, and the rear seats weigh practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. They are barely even seats at all; more like a flimsy luggage deck.)
  • Sport exhaust (..I didn't spec this because I don't like the oval exhaust tips)

What else might you be referring to?

You can't spec BOSE on the T, and there are some other leather options you can't spec on the T. If I removed those off of my C2S build, it brings the MSRP's even closer. At that point, it's mainly the sport exhaust splitting the cost difference (...all while sacrificing better brakes and more power).

Anyway, the T has its merits. I highly doubt we'll be seeing many dentist spec T's running around though.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 11-26-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914022.50
      11-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #21343
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don’t know what options your car has but the fact that you’re only getting a $4K difference while everyone else on this forum and Rennlist is calculating more like a $12K difference means you must be skipping something.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:12 PM   #21344
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I don’t know what options your car has but the fact that you’re only getting a $4K difference while everyone else on this forum and Rennlist is calculating more like a $12K difference means you must be skipping something.
Maybe it's the fact that I don't option RWS. The MSRP of my hypothetical Carrera T build is $142k (...without the LWB'S). My C2S was about $146k before discount, so using the current C2S pricing, it would be about a $10k difference; less than that if I removed the leather wrapped dash, BOSE, etc. from my build that you can't option on the Carrera T. Porsche also charges $1290 for gloss black wheels on the S, but doesn't charge for that same option on the T.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 11-26-2022 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #21345
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here’s what you have to put on an S to include what’s on a $118,050 T:

Base Price 911 Carrera S $123,000
Price for Equipment $7,280
Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee $1,450
Total Price $131,730

Exterior Color: White $0
Interior Color: Standard Interior in Black incl. Leather Seat Centers $0
Sport Package i.c.w. Manual Transmission $3,390
PASM Sport Suspension (Lowered 10mm) $0
Sport Exhaust System incl. Exclusive Design Tailpipes in Silver $430
Sport Seats Plus (4-way) $440
Model Designation Stripe Decal on Side in Silver Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $480
7-Speed Manual Transmission and Sport Chrono Package $0
20"/21" Carrera S Wheels Painted in Satin Platinum Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur $1,290
Lightweight and Noise Insulated Glass $1,250
Total Price* $131,730

What you’ll still be missing:
* Leather / Sport-Tex seats are standard on the T but are a $3830 option on the S. IMO, It’s not fair to include that because that option on the S also gives you a leather dash and door panels which are an extra cost option on the T.
* Short-throw shifter
* Ability to spec Full Bucket Seats
* Reduced sound insulation
* Rear seat delete for weight reduction

What you’ll get that the T doesn’t have:
* More powerful engine with bigger turbos that can be tuned to put out GTS power
* Bigger brakes
* Wishing you had a GTS

Last edited by Multimodal; 11-26-2022 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:45 PM   #21346
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe it's the fact that I don't option RWS. The MSRP of my hypothetical Carrera T build is $142k (...without the LWB'S). My C2S was about $146k before discount, so using the current C2S pricing, it would be about a $10k difference; less than that if I removed the leather wrapped dash, BOSE, etc. from my build that you can't option on the Carrera T. Porsche also charges $1290 for gloss black wheels on the S, but doesn't charge for that same option on the T.
I don't think I'll be too into the specifics when it comes to the build because I would get a few things lost in translation.

Generally I put down a few must have options then just go from there. Front Axle Lift, PASM Sport, Rear Axle Steering, LED Matrix and Burmister. With Premium and Arctic Grey, that runs a C2S to like... 144k+.

If I add a few other stuff like seats, it would push it close to 148k.

I personally don't care enough about the buckets or rear seat delete for the T to matter to me. I want the larger brakes. Hell I shove in CCBs on the S too if it wasn't hilariously pricey for the C2S.
      11-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #21347
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
I don't think I'll be too into the specifics when it comes to the build because I would get a few things lost in translation.

Generally I put down a few must have options then just go from there. Front Axle Lift, PASM Sport, Rear Axle Steering, LED Matrix and Burmister. With Premium and Arctic Grey, that runs a C2S to like... 144k+.

If I add a few other stuff like seats, it would push it close to 148k.

I personally don't care enough about the buckets or rear seat delete for the T to matter to me. I want the larger brakes. Hell I shove in CCBs on the S too if it wasn't hilariously pricey for the C2S.
I'm the same way. I focus more on the total with all of the options I must-have, and with that considered the price difference isn't vast. That's how I ended up going from a base to a C2S back when I ordered my car. After all was said and done, it just made sense to make the jump for the added power and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 09:30 PM   #21348
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm the same way. I focus more on the total with all of the options I must-have, and with that considered the price difference isn't vast. That's how I ended up going from a base to a C2S back when I ordered my car. After all was said and done, it just made sense to make the jump for the added power and brakes.
If there are two options I can go without, it will probably be Burmister and PASM Sport.
      11-26-2022, 10:17 PM   #21349
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Exactly. Each individual needs to have some must have options and go from there. You also have to value the standard equipment of the trim you looking at, otherwise move up or down in the lineup. I built an S within $7k of a similar GTS build. It is just how Porsche does it, they tease you with the next model. Also at this time, availability and adm's come into play. Each situation is different, but in the end everyone is getting delivered an amazing vehicle no matter the model.

Last edited by M3WC; 11-26-2022 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
minn1914022.50
      11-27-2022, 12:24 AM   #21350
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
To each their own though, not sure why so many on here can't comprehend the value of the T. You can literally play the "may as well get the next one up" game with the entire Porsche lineup. Why get an S when a few bucks more gets you a GTS? A well optioned GTS is close to GT3 territory. A loaded GT3 is Turbo territory. The game goes on. No matter what though they are all fantastic cars and more capable than 99% of cars on the road.
The reason why it's not really possible to get the next one up is due to lack of allocations and ADM. A decently optioned GTS is basically very close to Turbo and GT3 territory in MSRP but try to get an allocation for either for just MSRP and it's virtually impossible. I looked at a turbo really hard b/c it was literally just $20K more than the S I spec'd but the dealer basically told me they had no allocations and there would be a significant ADM. Forget about the GT3. Those ADMs are like $50K to $100K. So the reality is, an S is not really as close in price to a GTS to a GT3 to a Turbo, etc.

If I could get a GT3 at MSRP, I would be trading my S in immediately.

With respect to the Carrera T, it would've been a good bargain option but there are a few things that make it less of a bargain and less appealing than a 991.2 Carrera T:

1. You can't get LWBs. They were supposed to be available but now you can't configure a T with LWBs because it looks like those have been prioritized to the GT cars. I understand even GT4s can't be optioned w/ LWBs.

2. The 991.2 T came w/ a better looking front lip. The 992 T has the base body style with the S's front lip. At least they could've given it a unique front lip like before. As subtle as it was, that made the 991.2 T standout from a regular Carrera.

3. The 991.2 T had the base engine, but it had a shorter final drive ratio which made it drive more sprightly than a base Carrera and helped alleviate some of the tall gearing issues. This is really important IMO if you are getting a manual T. The 992 T has the same gear ratios as a base Carrera - yet another cost cutting move that makes the 992 T less special.

4. The 991.2 T had the cool nylon strap door pulls but the 992 has regular door panels. Not a big deal, but these little touches makes the 991.2 T feel more special and bespoke than a 992 T. Same goes for the interior - the T comes with the regular Sport-Tex seats you can option on a base or S. You have to pay $2,410 for the Carrera T interior package with the unique T seat centers.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25038.50
minn1914022.50
      11-27-2022, 12:36 AM   #21351
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Sport exhaust (..I didn't spec this because I don't like the oval exhaust tips)
I thought I was the only one that didn't much care for the oval exhaust tips! I actually think the base 992 rectangular tips are the most fitting with the styling of the car.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25038.50
      11-27-2022, 01:18 AM   #21352
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
With respect to the Carrera T, it would've been a good bargain option but there are a few things that make it less of a bargain and less appealing than a 991.2 Carrera T:

1. You can't get LWBs. They were supposed to be available but now you can't configure a T with LWBs because it looks like those have been prioritized to the GT cars. I understand even GT4s can't be optioned w/ LWBs.

2. The 991.2 T came w/ a better looking front lip. The 992 T has the base body style with the S's front lip. At least they could've given it a unique front lip like before. As subtle as it was, that made the 991.2 T standout from a regular Carrera.

3. The 991.2 T had the base engine, but it had a shorter final drive ratio which made it drive more sprightly than a base Carrera and helped alleviate some of the tall gearing issues. This is really important IMO if you are getting a manual T. The 992 T has the same gear ratios as a base Carrera - yet another cost cutting move that makes the 992 T less special.

4. The 991.2 T had the cool nylon strap door pulls but the 992 has regular door panels. Not a big deal, but these little touches makes the 991.2 T feel more special and bespoke than a 992 T. Same goes for the interior - the T comes with the regular Sport-Tex seats you can option on a base or S. You have to pay $2,410 for the Carrera T interior package with the unique T seat centers.
On 1, the reps at the Los Angeles Auto Show said the LWBs will be available. PCCB and PTS will not.

On 3, this has been discussed on Rennlist, and it's a bit tricky. The T does get the same shorter S gear ratios as it did on the 991.2. The reason Porsche doesn't claim this as a feature is that there is no manual available with the Base model so they can't say "shorter" because there's nothing to compare the T to.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 3
M3WC3645.00
AlterZgo1537.50
minn1914022.50
      11-27-2022, 01:54 AM   #21353
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
The reason why it's not really possible to get the next one up is due to lack of allocations and ADM. A decently optioned GTS is basically very close to Turbo and GT3 territory in MSRP but try to get an allocation for either for just MSRP and it's virtually impossible. I looked at a turbo really hard b/c it was literally just $20K more than the S I spec'd but the dealer basically told me they had no allocations and there would be a significant ADM. Forget about the GT3. Those ADMs are like $50K to $100K. So the reality is, an S is not really as close in price to a GTS to a GT3 to a Turbo, etc.

If I could get a GT3 at MSRP, I would be trading my S in immediately.

Quote:
On 1, the reps at the Los Angeles Auto Show said the LWBs will be available. PCCB and PTS will not.

On 3, this has been discussed on Rennlist, and it's a bit tricky. The T does get the same shorter S gear ratios as it did on the 991.2. The reason Porsche doesn't claim this as a feature is that there is no manual available with the Base model so they can't say "shorter" because there's nothing to compare the T to.
Also...On 4, the 991 Carrera T also had standard black with sport tex centers. The unique Carrera T centers and deviated stitching was an option.

This has been talked about on RL. Some 991 owners trying to say their T is more unique. When it came down to it, the only difference was the fabric door handles. Most would gladly trade frabic door handles for the wide body of the 992. Also the 992 sport tex looks way nicer.

Quote:
Yup, the 991 Carrera T used the same transmission as the other 991.2 non-GT models. However, the final drive ratio on the T was the same 3.59 used in the S and GTS, rather than the 3.44 used in the base Carrera. This time around the base Carrera has no manual option. 992 T still gets same 7 speed manual as S, same ratios.

Last edited by M3WC; 11-27-2022 at 02:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
AlterZgo1537.50
minn1914022.50
      11-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #21354
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:

I hope you can get the LWBS, that is looking really tricky or it doesn’t delay your build for months and months.

This is a legit criticism I’ve seen of Porsche, they can’t fill current orders, but keep coming out with all of these different models that out more pressure on their supply lines.

Truly hope yours shows up in a reasonable time the way you ordered it.

Last edited by minn19; 11-27-2022 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #21355
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

LOL
$300,000 for a GT4 RS Weissach

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...561952893.html
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #21356
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Gotta inject some BMW into the thread
Attached Images

CanAutM321115.00
swagon13518.00
minn1914022.50
stein_325i25083.00
NickyC17470.50
GERMAN M34181.00
Multimodal2896.00
Jockey3448.00
Arcades8169.50
alex23642861.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
cotmfk2045.00
      11-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #21357
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Gotta inject some BMW into the thread
5 timeless beauties
RugbyBro7601.50
Tecnniqe4197.00
swagon13518.00
      11-27-2022, 11:03 PM   #21358
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's average price with Markup included so it isn't anything surprising.

With Weissach + mag wheels, MSRP of the 4RS is basically 200k. You include markup, which is anywhere between 80k to 100k, with other options and tax, you are looking at 300k for that car.

I know. Sadly.
minn1914022.50
      11-27-2022, 11:06 PM   #21359
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
gatorfast that EV thread is a fun read man lol. I have not seen anyone more invested in 0 - 60 times than him.
gatorfast4994.50
      11-28-2022, 04:22 AM   #21360
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
gatorfast that EV thread is a fun read man lol. I have not seen anyone more invested in 0 - 60 times than him.
Name a more iconic duo
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:10 AM   #21361
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Name a more iconic duo
Batman and Robin, Peanut Butter and Jelly/Chocolate umm……….
Appreciate 1
Arcades8169.50
      11-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #21362
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post
Name a more iconic duo
Batman and Robin, Peanut Butter and Jelly/Chocolate umm……….
BMW and ugly cars, BMW and lifeless steering…
minn1914022.50
Arcades8169.50
Multimodal2896.00