ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-08-2023, 09:13 PM   #89
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
I don't understand why so many folks want to drive these large vehicles as dd and grocery getters. Why not drive something that is more fun and agile and hit a broad on a way back from work. As a work vehicle or towing that's a different story.
I don't live in the city and I need a truck. I also appreciate comfort, safety, and luxury. Today's trucks provide all of that. My BMW was practically useless when it snowed in spite of being all-wheel-drive. The front-end was simply too low and hitting a block of ice deposited by another car (common during a storm) would not end well for the BMW. My commute is mostly done in heavy traffic, so sitting up higher is nice. It doesn't mean I don't want to shred the road once in a while, but that's what this is for:

Name:  20210221_122030.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  443.9 KB
Appreciate 6
jmack548.50
GERMAN M34181.00
Efthreeoh17206.50
Donatello.1077.00
Dino GT35131.50
      01-08-2023, 10:45 PM   #90
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post
Quote:
I don't understand why so many folks want to drive these large vehicles as dd and grocery getters. Why not drive something that is more fun and agile and hit a broad on a way back from work. As a work vehicle or towing that's a different story.
I don't live in the city and I need a truck. I also appreciate comfort, safety, and luxury. Today's trucks provide all of that. My BMW was practically useless when it snowed in spite of being all-wheel-drive. The front-end was simply too low and hitting a block of ice deposited by another car (common during a storm) would not end well for the BMW. My commute is mostly done in heavy traffic, so sitting up higher is nice. It doesn't mean I don't want to shred the road once in a while, but that's what this is for:

Attachment 3074251
Personally not buying safety and lux arguments. Comfort is also questionable unless you are using it only in small town and local roads. I lived in Buffalo for several years and drove Nissan Sentra at the time without issues during winter. Never got stuck or had vehicle damaged even on country roads. Most cars rolled over in a ditch were trucks and suvs.

Luxury is also not associated with high CG, excessive roll, sloppy handling, harder to maneuver vehicles. Think RR cars and S class.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
chris7197332.50
Donatello.1077.00
Dino GT35131.50
      01-08-2023, 11:07 PM   #91
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

It's not necessarily the truck people want. It's the empowerment of being able to finally show off those truck nuts you've always wanted. Women love and fawn over them. When I pull into a Whole Foods with a set of pendulous, carbon fiber, truck nuts swinging back and forth, I constantly have to tell the ladies "hey, my eyes are up here."
Appreciate 8
      01-08-2023, 11:18 PM   #92
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530d g30

I've had this argument (about safety) with a lot of my friends who have bought big SUV's and 4x4 trucks.

The argument usually goes: "if I was in a head-on between a truck and a small car, I know which one I would rather be driving".

However, what people tend to ignore is that statistics show that you are more than three times as likely to be in a serious accident if you drive a truck, than if you drive a car.

This is usually because a truck weighs a lot more than a car, so doesn't stop as quickly, can not be turned away as quickly, usually has less safety features, has smaller crumple zone, and because it sits higher, it is usally easier to roll over (unless it is a hummer).

And contrary to belief, I can say from personal experience that there is usually a lot less leg room in most trucks/SUV's than sedans (and a lot of smaller cars), unless you drive those massive American gas-guzzlers..

Although, people driving thise big RAM's will be quick to tell you that even though it is a V8, it turns off some of the cylinders if they are not needed.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Mavus2026.00
Donatello.1077.00
      01-09-2023, 01:28 PM   #93
DocOfTheDead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Personally not buying safety and lux arguments. Comfort is also questionable unless you are using it only in small town and local roads. I lived in Buffalo for several years and drove Nissan Sentra at the time without issues during winter. Never got stuck or had vehicle damaged even on country roads. Most cars rolled over in a ditch were trucks and suvs.

Luxury is also not associated with high CG, excessive roll, sloppy handling, harder to maneuver vehicles. Think RR cars and S class.
Why are you so hell-bent on telling people what they prefer to drive is wrong? Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 1
dscabra4958.50
      01-09-2023, 02:01 PM   #94
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:

Luxury is subjective. If your benchmark of luxury is Rolls or S class, then thats fine. I would consider my truck to be a luxury vehicle with the amount of features and amenities it has.

I could drive a Nissan Sentra with all seasons and be just fine, but does that mean it's the most capable winter vehicle you can buy? How much effort did it take you to get where you wanted to go vs someone in a Ford Raptor, for example?

People will spend money on things that make their lives easier and after trading in my F80 M3 for a Ford F150 a few years ago, I can honestly say that I'd never had a vehicle that's made my life easier than the truck has. I even got a 8 yr 100k mile first party warranty on it which makes it the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned from a cost of ownership perspective.

Worth mentioning that with a huge cabin, 35" tires, and over a foot of suspension travel, it's also the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned
Appreciate 1
dscabra4958.50
      01-09-2023, 02:46 PM   #95
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I think the current trends show that the luxury truck market is real and that a lot of people are, in fact, leaving their luxury and sport sedans for trucks. I had both a large (way more than I needed) truck as well as the M550i. As I get closer to retirement, consolidation started to make sense and the level of tech and luxury the new trucks bring to the game made the decision to trade the M550i less painful. I was very happy with the M550i, which was one of the best all around cars I've ever owned. I guess my parting comment would be to take a look at some of the new luxury trucks before assuming they are crap. You might be surprised.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      01-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #96
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I can't even handle the M5 without curbing my wheels all the time. I'd be a menace in a large truck.
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2023, 03:03 PM   #97
OtoPA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 F150, 23 M4, JD3038E

Got both. 2022 F150 'cause I live out in the county on acreage and need to haul stuff, and on-order '23 M4Comp 'cause I want one. Each has it's role.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 04:48 PM   #98
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

In no way does this reflect an opinion on truck drivers only trucks in particular.

I don't like trucks for no other reason than they are hard to see around. When I roll up behind one and I can't see around it, I have to increase my following distance for visibility.

But then another truck will come up and pull in the gap in front of me so I have to increase my following distance again.

Now, I'm just going backwards
      01-09-2023, 06:11 PM   #99
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscabra View Post

Attachment 3074251
Then you had the wrong tires on that BMW or you can't drive lol. Been DDing my Hellcat all year, yes winter too, since new and not crashed or stranded.

Now if we're talking blizzard, well no car is going to be good. Stay home
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #100
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

I never knew so many people in this world were constantly hauling things lol.

I'll rent a truck or borrow the other half's dad's F-150 if we need a truck.

I am a car person and want fun to drive. Not a giant truck that can't turn or move. Just not a fan of how giant trucks are these days.

Give me a 2nd gen Lightning. Sadly, they are overpriced now too.
Appreciate 2
Mavus2026.00
chris7197332.50
      01-09-2023, 06:31 PM   #101
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOfTheDead View Post
Quote:

Why are you so hell-bent on telling people what they prefer to drive is wrong? Different strokes for different folks.
Can you point to specifically where did I tell anybody what to drive? We are just having a normal discussion on the topic presented.

Did you take your meds?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #102
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
Quote:

Luxury is subjective. If your benchmark of luxury is Rolls or S class, then thats fine. I would consider my truck to be a luxury vehicle with the amount of features and amenities it has.

I could drive a Nissan Sentra with all seasons and be just fine, but does that mean it's the most capable winter vehicle you can buy? How much effort did it take you to get where you wanted to go vs someone in a Ford Raptor, for example?

People will spend money on things that make their lives easier and after trading in my F80 M3 for a Ford F150 a few years ago, I can honestly say that I'd never had a vehicle that's made my life easier than the truck has. I even got a 8 yr 100k mile first party warranty on it which makes it the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned from a cost of ownership perspective.

Worth mentioning that with a huge cabin, 35" tires, and over a foot of suspension travel, it's also the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned
The only time I wished I had suv/truck but with snow tires was driving from Breckenridge to Denver airport a few years ago during blizzard that started on the way to DEN. And it was dumping snow. We had Mazda 6 rental with all seasons and needed all my driving skills such as not stopping on an incline no matter what lol. Even Hummer next to me had a rough time and was slipping. I was thinking he might be able to push me if needed but nah.

One more comment about luxury. The key aspect of it is effortless travel while being able to work or relax as desired while sipping your favorite spirit. Many uber wealthy have a pro driver also while they stretch in the back and drink wine. The quality of materials, fit and finish, assembly, engine and suspension, features, etc. are tailored for such an experience. That's the benchmark of luxury in the industry.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 09:05 PM   #103
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
I keep a truck in the garage just due to the fact that every time I try to live without one I find I can't. Seem to constantly be moving sets of wheels/tires for my cars, large boxes (trash) for whatever toys my kids get, stuff from home depot, etc. All kinds of random items that won't fit in a car, a trunk, or my wife's X5. Don't really want a truck, just can't seem to deal without one. Not to mention the backseat is larger than anything else in existence which is great for the kids. Nothing more annoying than a kicked seatback, just doesn't happen with a truck.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 09:17 PM   #104
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I have a luxury pickup truck. I have the luxury walking out to it, starting it up and using it to move or haul shit whenever the eff I want. Lol.
Appreciate 3
chris7197332.50
OtoPA376.00
wdb4718.00
      01-09-2023, 10:18 PM   #105
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

The annoying thing is that we're now in a height arms race on the road. It was fine when most people drove sedans and wagons instead of SUVs and 99% empty pickups. Ask any non-car-person why they must have a CUV or SUV it's because they want to be high up to see.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17206.50
      01-09-2023, 11:13 PM   #106
Maxx Power
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 530d g30

I gotta admit that as I get older there is a lot of benifit in getting a car I "step into" rather than "bend into".. I think there is some sort of saying that if you need both arms to get out of your car then it is time to get something taller... Could be time.. If only those Lighnings were a bit cheaper, and sold in Australia..
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #107
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
I have both a 4Runner and a 335i. They are both great vehicles and I enjoy driving them differently according to their characters. We currently have multiple BMWs and Toyota trucks/SUVs. I have had different BMWs over the years and always enjoyed the brand (with the exception of the current 4series grille). However, if I was forced to only have one vehicle, I would very likely pick the 4Runner. It is such a versatile, well-built and durable machine and very comfortable to drive too.
Getting one soon. keeping the E90M
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:30 PM   #108
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx Power View Post
I gotta admit that as I get older there is a lot of benifit in getting a car I "step into" rather than "bend into".. I think there is some sort of saying that if you need both arms to get out of your car then it is time to get something taller... Could be time.. If only those Lighnings were a bit cheaper, and sold in Australia..
The corollary to that is that if you have to use both hands to climb into it, it's too tall!
I really get the idea of a car being too low, especially as I get older. Not quite there yet, but soon!
Climbing into an oversized vehicle isn't any more pleasant though!
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2023, 11:33 PM   #109
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

How does one function without a truck?
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17206.50
dscabra4958.50
      01-10-2023, 04:06 AM   #110
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
Have you seen the new Dodge TRX with a Hellcat engine? 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Even I want to trade my BMW in for one of those.

Ah the state of modern car culture—-flash a 0-60 time and pretend like nothing else matters 🤮
Donatello.1077.00