R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-26-2017, 01:57 AM   #397
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojs View Post
My 2015 f82 was pulling to the right.
I got EPS,DSC,diff coded to GTS and EDC to CS and it's gone. No special update to steering done.
Hey,

I don't quite understand your post.

It's normal that after a Firmware update, most all coding will be deleted.

The normal workaround is you get the Firmware first and then you (re-)
code, in that order.

My doubts here give question to the issue raised by "Rx7andy" that, once
the new Firmware is updated, just as the 5 blinks option is no longer possible
after this new update, does this Firmware update also conflict and/or
preclude the coding of the "GTS-EPS" option?

Cheers!

Sorry, I was inaccurate.
Being a 2014 production car of course I did not have the GTS/CS coding available in my original firmware.
So prior to coding my firmware was updated to latest.
What I meant is no special measures were taken to address the pulling to the right specifically. Instead GTS coding of EPS solved the problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #398
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I got EPS,DSC,diff coded to GTS and EDC to CS and it's gone. No special update to steering done.
Hey,

code, in that order.

Cheers!

Sorry, I was inaccurate.
Being a 2014 production car of course I did not have the GTS/CS coding available in my original firmware.
What I meant is no special measures were taken to address the pulling to the right specifically. Instead GTS coding of EPS solved the problem for me.
Did you drive the car between firmware update and GTS coding? I have a 2014 production as well and the firmware update greatly improved my steering. It's getting the proper EPS patch now.
Just thinking the firmware possibly fixed the steering not the GTS coding. What do you think?
      09-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #399
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

code, in that order.

Cheers!

Sorry, I was inaccurate.
Did you drive the car between firmware update and GTS coding? I have a 2014 production as well and the firmware update greatly improved my steering. It's getting the proper EPS patch now.
Just thinking the firmware possibly fixed the steering not the GTS coding. What do you think?
I have a 15 and went to the dealer to get the software update fix and it worked my steering became straight. Then I had coding done including GTS steering and my steering was no longer straight. The coder and I checked and the dealer had selected a "F80/F82 repair" EPS option for the fix and when we selected GTS during coding, my steering no linger was straight. We then changed the selection to F80/F82 repair again and it was fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #400
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Quote:
Sorry, I was inaccurate.
Quote:
Hey,

The solution called for in the corrresponding ("SIB 32 01 17") service bulletin involved a firmware update.
Since this was issued, there have been 2 or 3 further firmware updates on top of the one indicated in that SB.

Any up to date firmware update will address and/or resolve the,"pulling to the right" issue as the module(s)
related to steering/chassis have been upgraded ("F80/F82 repair") in all subsequent updates.

"RX7andy" - I had not read your latest post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7andy View Post
I have a 15 and went to the dealer to get the software update fix and it worked my steering became straight. Then I had coding done including GTS steering and my steering was no longer straight. The coder and I checked and the dealer had selected a "F80/F82 repair" EPS option for the fix and when we selected GTS during coding, my steering no linger was straight. We then changed the selection to F80/F82 repair again and it was fixed.
The necessary alignment proceedures and/or readjustment of camber can, for the most part, be done electronically on our cars.

I hope this helps clear up any further confusion.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dr. Who; 09-27-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #401
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

So is there any way to code in the fix? I have had lots of coding done, and if I go to get my software updated, it'll wipe out all my coding
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:28 AM   #402
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
So is there any way to code in the fix? I have had lots of coding done, and if I go to get my software updated, it'll wipe out all my coding
As I said, try the GTS EPS coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #403
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
As I said, try the GTS EPS coding.
I have the GTS steering coding. I still have the pulling to the right
Appreciate 1
sapuro5.50
      09-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #404
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
I have the GTS steering coding. I still have the pulling to the right
As previously stated in this thread somewhere - you cannot have both GTS coding and the fix applied as they are separation options in EPS. I had this update applied and it finally fixed my pull to the right. I had to re-code my car and don't miss the 5 blinks one bit. Rather have a car that drives straight.

Here is a post that clearly shows the screenshot of the coding option.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=28
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2017, 08:43 PM   #405
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
As previously stated in this thread somewhere - you cannot have both GTS coding and the fix applied as they are separation options in EPS. I had this update applied and it finally fixed my pull to the right. I had to re-code my car and don't miss the 5 blinks one bit. Rather have a car that drives straight.

Here is a post that clearly shows the screenshot of the coding option.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=28
Oh awesome! I think this is what I was looking for. Is it the F80/f82/f83 rep?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #406
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh awesome! I think this is what I was looking for. Is it the F80/f82/f83 rep?
Yes - when I get some time, I may code in GTS and default to confirm the pull returns.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #407
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

The dealership did this to my M4 and the pulling stopped immediately, no alignment or anything else would fix other than this software update for the steering rack:

Quote:
retrofit programming as per SI B32 01 17

It is a software update but the also have to select the special conversion "steering assistance" per SIB 32 01 17 to activate the fix.

First do alignment, swap wheels, etc. then
"Program and encode the vehicle to integration level F020-17-500 available in ISTA/P 3.62.0 or later (available mid-July 2017).
Retrofit with Pull Drift Compensation (PDC) function via Coverstion-Active Steering Assistance Retrofitting."
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #408
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep

Hey, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
The dealership did this to my M4 and the pulling stopped immediately, no alignment or anything else would fix other than this software update for the steering rack:
Quote:
Hey,

The solution called for in the corrresponding ("SIB 32 01 17") service bulletin involved a firmware update.
Since this was issued, there have been 2 or 3 further firmware updates on top of the one indicated in that SB.

Any up to date firmware update will address and/or resolve the,"pulling to the right" issue as the module(s)
related to steering/chassis have been upgraded ("F80/F82 repair") in all subsequent updates.

"RX7andy" - I had not read your latest post:

The necessary alignment proceedures and/or readjustment of camber can, for the most part, be done electronically on our cars.

I hope this helps clear up any further confusion.

Cheers!

Uum, Yeah!?!

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #409
sidemoves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Alpine White/Blk DCT

Hey all, i?m taking my car into the dealer this week for service and want to have this issue addressed. I?ve seen a few different SB?s referenced and want to make sure i?m providing the correct one when i take it in. Could someone please share the correct one?

much thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #410
momo3605
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes - when I get some time, I may code in GTS and default to confirm the pull returns.
Would you happen to know which I-Step you are on? I had the 58.3 update done last year, so i'm wondering if this fix will even be available in that version.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:43 PM   #411
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605
Quote:
Would you happen to know which I-Step you are on? I had the 58.3 update done last year, so i'm wondering if this fix will even be available in that version.
I'm on 62.x...

I believe you need at least 61.x for the repair to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #412
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605
Quote:
I'm on 62.x...

I believe you need at least 61.x for the repair to work.
So after months and months of troubleshooting, alignments, and programming my car is finally driving straight!
Since I did the steps in the service bulletin over a long period of time I had the chance to see and feel what does what.
Swapping wheels/tires from left to right (also brand new tires) did nothing.
Multiple alignments with different camber, toe, and caster. Yes having more negative camber on the right (positive in the left) helps "correct" the pull, I didn't want my alignment off. So we worked on caster. There's no caster adjustment with stock suspension but we were able to pull a little bit out with my GC camber plates (I mean very little). This helped a little bit but the car still pulled to the right.
August I had my car updated to the latest iSTEP but they were unable to install the EPS patch (my car wasn't accepting the software and I needed to bring it back later). Thus I drove around for awhile with the software other newer cars are coming off the assembly line. The car didn't pull as bad to the right but it needed to be "set". Like some others have pointed out, slight pressure was still needed to drive straight or I could move the wheel a little to the left quickly and it kind of sets. The whole feeling of the steering was unsettling and wasn't inspiring confidence.
Last week they did a remote programming with a BMW super programmer who was able to get the EPS patch installed. Now the car drives straight! But, and it's a big but, it doesn't feel natural. It feels like my force feedback wheel I use on my PC, artificial and numbed. I can live with it but it doesn't feel nearly as good as BMW's steering on my old E46 or my '03 Z4.
Here's my take: I think there's an intrinsic problem with the steering and the EPS is compensating/covering it up. The steering is learning your car's driving patterns and using the EPS to keep the car straight. So it's like the car is applying constant left turn pressure for you. This is all an educated guess because BMW has not and will not reveal the true problem. They just want to stop the complaints and lemon'ing cars as quickly and inexpensively as possible.
At the end of the day I'm content with my car but if I would have known the time and money I would spend on my car then I would have bought a Porsche.
Dr. Who302.50
      10-16-2017, 10:19 PM   #413
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
So after months and months of troubleshooting, alignments, and programming my car is finally driving straight!
Since I did the steps in the service bulletin over a long period of time I had the chance to see and feel what does what.
Multiple alignments with different camber, toe, and caster. Yes having more negative camber on the right (positive in the left) helps "correct" the pull, I didn't want my alignment off. So we worked on caster. There's no caster adjustment with stock suspension but we were able to pull a little bit out with my GC camber plates (I mean very little). This helped a little bit but the car still pulled to the right.
August I had my car updated to the latest iSTEP but they were unable to install the EPS patch (my car wasn't accepting the software and I needed to bring it back later). Thus I drove around for awhile with the software other newer cars are coming off the assembly line. The car didn't pull as bad to the right but it needed to be "set". Like some others have pointed out, slight pressure was still needed to drive straight or I could move the wheel a little to the left quickly and it kind of sets. The whole feeling of the steering was unsettling and wasn't inspiring confidence.
Last week they did a remote programming with a BMW super programmer who was able to get the EPS patch installed. Now the car drives straight! But, and it's a big but, it doesn't feel natural. It feels like my force feedback wheel I use on my PC, artificial and numbed. I can live with it but it doesn't feel nearly as good as BMW's steering on my old E46 or my '03 Z4.
Here's my take: I think there's an intrinsic problem with the steering and the EPS is compensating/covering it up. The steering is learning your car's driving patterns and using the EPS to keep the car straight. So it's like the car is applying constant left turn pressure for you. This is all an educated guess because BMW has not and will not reveal the true problem. They just want to stop the complaints and lemon'ing cars as quickly and inexpensively as possible.
At the end of the day I'm content with my car but if I would have known the time and money I would spend on my car then I would have bought a Porsche.
Feel the same thing and can't agree more. they just did another patch to fix the problem. I suspect we got defective damper or steering rack. To me, the eps retrofit gives me straight tracking, but also more artificial steering feel, bumpy steer, and makes the car more like to follow the road crown. I even kind of feel it's worse than the fix by adding positive camber swivel bearing.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2017, 10:37 PM   #414
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
please report back if you do. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #415
Dr. Who
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Hey,

Excellent Write up!

Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #416
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

I had this problem with MY 16, and BMW is still having the issue on newer models! Unacceptable for a 78k plus car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #417
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Correct me if I am wrong but this sib simply changes the steering programming to counteract the tendency to pull right correct? So if I had the "pull to the right" issue but my alignment was in spec there is really no harm being done, just a slight annoyance? No harm meaning the car will perform and tires will wear as intended because alignment is what actually affects these aspects and not the steering programming. Is my thinking correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #418
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this sib simply changes the steering programming to counteract the tendency to pull right correct? So if I had the "pull to the right" issue but my alignment was in spec there is really no harm being done, just a slight annoyance? No harm meaning the car will perform and tires will wear as intended because alignment is what actually affects these aspects and not the steering programming. Is my thinking correct?
Only time will tell. Bottom line is this "fix" corrects some "unknown" or "unreported" force that makes our cars pull right. In my case, I did all that I could to get my alignment not only within spec, but dead perfect and car continued to pull. At its worst, mine would pull to the right even when alignment spec was set to force the car to pull left. On left hand road crown, the car would still pull right.

The fact is the EPS update corrected it so something within the EPS must have been way out of whack on some of our cars. We will need to depend on those that daily their cars and have this fix to see if tire wear will be an issue. My guess is it will not be since, as you pointed out, the alignment geometry is what determine this and for me, I no longer feel the need to force the steering in one direction or another. Smooth both left and right whereas before, I could definitely say I had to apply constant left input and turning right seemed much easier than turning left.
Appreciate 0