Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #45
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

You're listening to a fuel filter manufacturer telling you need their product? Any outside data?
      06-11-2022, 12:19 PM   #46
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
You're listening to a fuel filter manufacturer telling you need their product? Any outside data?
Injector Dynamics makes the ID F750 fuel filter/housing. It's a beauty and is made in the US.

Bend is a tuner that has been doing E85 tuning for over 15 years and uses the filter in their flex kit.

Just sharing recommendations from a tuner that knows the platform and and E85. 👍
      06-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #47
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
Not according to Bend. I plucked those recommendations straight from their F8X/A90 E85 doc.
Bend told you that even running their fuel filter, you still need to change injectors every 5k miles? The whole point of their fuel filter is so you don't have to do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #48
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweebabySeamus View Post
Quote:
Not according to Bend. I plucked those recommendations straight from their F8X/A90 E85 doc.
Bend told you that even running their fuel filter, you still need to change injectors every 5k miles? The whole point of their fuel filter is so you don't have to do that.
Replacing injectors every 5k is non-sense

I have had bend's fuel filter since day 1 of running E85. The only maintenance you need to do is change the fuel filter at 5k when switching over to full E85 then at 10k intervals after that.

The filter is 5 micron if I recall correctly. There should be no issues with failing injectors due to poor quality E85 that may contain dirt/debris/water that would lead to injector failure.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:33 PM   #49
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I have had bend's fuel filter since day 1 of running E85. The only maintenance you need to do is change the fuel filter at 5k when switching over to full E85 then at 10k intervals after that.

The filter is 5 micron if I recall correctly. There should be no issues with failing injectors due to poor quality E85 that may contain dirt/debris/water that would lead to injector failure.
10k Mile Interval changes for the Fuel Filter? How often is the OEM one recommended to be changed?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #50
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10k Mile Interval changes for the Fuel Filter? When often is the OEM one recommended to be changed?
There is no OEM except for the sock filter (screen) at the bottom of the LPFP bucket.
      06-14-2022, 07:54 PM   #51
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

10k Mile Interval changes for the Fuel Filter? When often is the OEM one recommended to be changed?
There is no OEM except for the sock filter (screen) at the bottom of the LPFP bucket.
Is the sock ever required to be changed?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #52
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Quote:
Injector Dynamics makes the filter and yes, they recommend annual injector cleaning if you run a lot of E85.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They have an entire doc on the subject with case studies. As a customer I'm sure they'll be happy to share it with you.

Everyone is free to make their own maintenance decisions. I'll happily deal with injectors along with the rest of the usual annual maintenance.

Last edited by astris; 06-14-2022 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 09:14 PM   #53
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is the sock ever required to be changed?
No, there is no maintenance interval for the sock part. It would be easier to buy a LPFP bucket from FCP Euro and swap the whole pump.
      06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #54
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Hey Jimmy, I know I'm new and still learning S55 platform. But when I look at spool performance S55 pump picture, it shows a filter canister prior to exiting the cap (all my previous platforms had that filter built in) and Precision Brushless stage 3 shows a filter assembly? Not on stages 3/4/4.5.

Am I wrong to assume Spool or Precision have a filter assembly?
http://spoolperformance.us/index.php...&product_id=70

https://precisionraceworks.com/produ...41410779119809
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5457.00
      06-15-2022, 06:47 PM   #55
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Hey Jimmy, I know I'm new and still learning S55 platform. But when I look at spool performance S55 pump picture, it shows a filter canister prior to exiting the cap (all my previous platforms had that filter built in) and Precision Brushless stage 3 shows a filter assembly? Not on stages 3/4/4.5.

Am I wrong to assume Spool or Precision have a filter assembly?
I had wondered what that extra canister was… It's not on my OEM or my Fuel-It Stg4. I wouldn't make any assumptions, check with the MFG first to be sure what's included.