European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-05-2021, 08:44 PM   #45
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drroc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvq View Post
Looks like they sent me two sets of pads — 308 street pads with the correct front annulus width and sr34 track pads with the narrower front annulus width lol.
Heh. Get in touch with Adam and StopTech to exchange the track pads for the wide version...

Edit: Also, let me know if the bridges are smoother to use... I had to bust out some sand paper to make the bridge removal possible once the calipers are mounted
What's funny is I had that same issue with my Stoptech BBK from 2005!!!
      03-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #46
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like they sent me two sets of pads — 308 street pads with the correct front annulus width and sr34 track pads with the narrower front annulus width lol.
Heh. Get in touch with Adam and StopTech to exchange the track pads for the wide version...

Edit: Also, let me know if the bridges are smoother to use... I had to bust out some sand paper to make the bridge removal possible once the calipers are mounted
Unmounted no issues I'll let you know about mounted later. This may take me a little while, I'm dealing with some medical issues that might prohibit me from working on car for a little bit
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 01:35 AM   #47
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:
Unmounted no issues I'll let you know about mounted later. This may take me a little while, I'm dealing with some medical issues that might prohibit me from working on car for a little bit
Get well.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #48
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm stubborn and not resting cuz new car parts. I'm having zero issues with either brake bridges they all come off easily by hand for the time being bolted in and torqued to spec. Rear shield bolts sort of a pain to get to until I figured out you can just stick the extension through the stud hole (removing studs to replace them for the season).
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
fanatic11018.50
jacobe92617.50
      03-06-2021, 08:20 PM   #49
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm stubborn and not resting cuz new car parts. I'm having zero issues with either brake bridges they all come off easily by hand for the time being bolted in and torqued to spec. Rear shield bolts sort of a pain to get to until I figured out you can just stick the extension through the stud hole (removing studs to replace them for the season).
You should get a quick jack to make the whole process much smoother
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      03-06-2021, 08:32 PM   #50
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You should get a quick jack to make the whole process much smoother
Haha I know, but I keep spending money on other car parts
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      03-08-2021, 12:10 PM   #51
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:

I talked with Adam last week and found out that SR34 does NOT have 62mm wide version that these kits need. only SR33 has the 62mm fitment.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #52
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1013yyf View Post
Quote:

I talked with Adam last week and found out that SR34 does NOT have 62mm wide version that these kits need. only SR33 has the 62mm fitment.
Well that's sort of annoying I guess I'll have to try those…
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:15 PM   #53
jim1013yyf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Well that's sort of annoying I guess I'll have to try those…

yea i decided to give SR33 a try. If I do not like it, I will go back to PFC08 with 50mm width. According to Essex "Other common radial depths in this pad shape are 43mm and 39mm. Those radial depths will fit into our caliper, but you will be leaving an unswept 'ring' around the disc near the attachment points to the hat (the pad will not hang as low in the caliper). Leaving a portion of the disc face unswept can create a temperature differential across the face of the disc, and doing so could lead to premature disc cracking. That said, we have not run into such a problem with our kits in the field."

TLDR - Running a pad that's narrower than rotor friction ring should NOT be a problem.

Link: https://www.essexparts.com/cp8350-leading-left-anodized
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #54
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Why not just get the Hawk DTC70 pads that are made for the wider annulus of the front rotor?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #55
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

So I had a chance to run them at Laguna with hawk DTC70 pads. I turned out that the pads were not for the wide annulus friction disc, but I realized this just a day before the track day so I went with what I had. The brakes were just amazing when coupled with NT01 tires. The braking was so much more violent and I didn't have to mash on the pedal to get the maximum braking pressure. Also, the pedal feel was always consistent. Finally, I noted was that there was far less heat coming from the rotors when I came into the pits. I assume the removal of the dust shields and much better rotor cooling did the trick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:36 PM   #56
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I had a chance to run them at Laguna with hawk DTC70 pads. I turned out that the pads were not for the wide annulus friction disc, but I realized this just a day before the track day so I went with what I had. The brakes were just amazing when coupled with NT01 tires. The braking was so much more violent and I didn't have to mash on the pedal to get the maximum braking pressure. Also, the pedal feel was always consistent. Finally, I noted was that there was far less heat coming from the rotors when I came into the pits. I assume the removal of the dust shields and much better rotor cooling did the trick.
I may just get a set of track only rotors and run standard annulus for pad selection.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:19 PM   #57
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I may just get a set of track only rotors and run standard annulus for pad selection.
That may work well. Taking off the caliper is much easier because you don't have to undo the big bolts on the bracket. You can just remove the smaller bolts that hold the actual caliper. The other option is to just get dusty pads and not wash the wheels. The dust will cover things up nicely...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #58
tunedperfection
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Great setup, I've run the trophy series on several cars and always have been impressed with the performance.
Appreciate 1
drroc413.00
      04-08-2021, 11:27 PM   #59
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Hope you're feeling well.
When did you order your setup? I placed my order the last week of 2020, and am starting to consider canceling if Adam at buybrakes or Tyler at Stoptech dont give me something definitive soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:54 PM   #60
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun Crankhub View Post
Quote:
Hope you're feeling well.
When did you order your setup? I placed my order the last week of 2020, and am starting to consider canceling if Adam at buybrakes or Tyler at Stoptech dont give me something definitive soon.
Dec 16th order, March 5th delivery — I installed them already but that's all I can do right now unfortunately, health issues compounding could be a few months before I enjoy them
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #61
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:
Dec 16th order, March 5th delivery — I installed them already but that's all I can do right now unfortunately, health issues compounding could be a few months before I enjoy them
So sorry to hear, at least you got a little outlet from dealing with that by doing the install. Hope you get out there on the low end of your time projection.
Appreciate 1
dvq319.00
      04-10-2021, 11:58 PM   #62
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you have issues with pistons coming out because of knock back springs? I was swapping out the track pads for street pads today. It was just a nightmare where I couldn't slide in the street pad because the pistons on the inward side would just come out by themselves. There must be some trick to this
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:01 AM   #63
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

I swapped out the race Hawk pads for the street ones today. The race pads burned all of the black paint away on the backing. The front pad is probably good enough for two
more outings at most at LS...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 12:05 AM   #64
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep

Just for comparison, these are the two Hawk pads for the caliper. The one on the left is the street pad, and the one on the right is the race pad. I would like to find out who makes a wide annulus disc race pad as it should last longer because it will have more material.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #65
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Wow look at all that heat generated metal micro cracking
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #66
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did you have issues with pistons coming out because of knock back springs? I was swapping out the track pads for street pads today. It was just a nightmare where I couldn't slide in the street pad because the pistons on the inward side would just come out by themselves. There must be some trick to this
Haven't had a chance to swap pads yet, would a pad spreader help maybe?
Appreciate 0