Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #23
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
If price difference isn't too far off between CS and ZCP and GTS, and you can live with the trade offs, get the CS or GTS even if you plan on modifying it since they already have visual mods from the start that you may end up doing that will add to the bottom price of the ZCP:

-CF front lip
-GTS/CS hood
-CF diffuser
-CF spoiler (CS) or big wing spoiler (GTS).
-Alcantara steering wheel/trim
-Racier-looking door panels (if you like that sort of thing)
-OLED Taillights

All of those could add up, just throwing it out there especially if you plan on modding, I assume also visually.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #24
StockF82M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I'm not going to get into the whole discussion of if you should by this car, financial responsibility, yadayadayada. I will say if you can swing it comfortably, that's awesome and enjoy! If you have to stretch to do it, don't feel you have to jump in - good things will come and there is an aspect of entering the workforce post college where you just have to grind it out for a few years before you make or have saved meaningful money. If you end up waiting you will not look back and wish you had bought the car earlier. Again, I'm not expressing any opinion on what you should or shouldn't do, or passing judgement!

All that said, my personal view on cars (or depreciable assets in general) is I don't buy anything that I couldn't buy in cash on the day and that I'm not comfortable writing off in value. Too many people on this forum get their underwear bunched up talking about the "value" of their cars. Buy the car if it makes sense and enjoy it

Good luck to you and congrats on nearing the finish line on College!
Very well put, and insightful. And thank you, it means a lot!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #25
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
However, I guess you can highly mod a base M4 to be well beyond a stock GTS.
Between raw pace, driving dynamics, and track durability/reliability, easier said than done, especially once the GTS is just a bit sorted. Mod a base or ZCP because you enjoy the process. GTS if you want something that's race bred and you'd prefer to fine tune what's already there.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #26
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

A used M4 goes for $40K-50K on average. Add in your list of mods and that's another $10K-20K. That's a lot of coin for a fresh college graduate regardless of what type of job you've already landed (you do have a job offer right??). If you're a responsible financial spender I suppose you can swing that. Just make sure you factor in insurance, cost of ownership and any student loan debt. Going from college and entering the real workforce is day vs night. My suggestion is waiting 1-2 years out of college before you make your big ticket purchase. You may realize your priorities have changed. Don't be the guy that has the nicest, fastest car and parks it at their parents home (although there's nothing wrong with living at home for a while to save up). Best of luck whichever path you decide.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 12:15 PM   #27
StockF82M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
A used M4 goes for $40K-50K on average. Add in your list of mods and that's another $10K-20K. That's a lot of coin for a fresh college graduate regardless of what type of job you've already landed (you do have a job offer right??). If you're a responsible financial spender I suppose you can swing that. Just make sure you factor in insurance, cost of ownership and any student loan debt. Going from college and entering the real workforce is day vs night. My suggestion is waiting 1-2 years out of college before you make your big ticket purchase. You may realize your priorities have changed. Don't be the guy that has the nicest, fastest car and parks it at their parents home (although there's nothing wrong with living at home for a while to save up). Best of luck whichever path you decide.
hahha, very true. You make some great points. Yeah I plan on buying it in 2025, or 2026 at the very latest, so 3/4 years out of college. But you're right, my priorities might change by then.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #28
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockF82M4 View Post
I feel so attacked...

With that being said, yes I went to Bondurant (a racing school here in AZ) for a few days and got to learn how to drive/race in a 700hp dodge hellcat, which was a lot of fun. And yes I am thinking about all of those things as well. I want it to be balanced, but also just excessively fast/quick.
Haha take it easy man. It's good that you have thought about that.

But I think if you get one, at least take some time to get used to it in stock form first. You won't really know what you're improving and what you might be downgrading when modding your M4 if you just dive straight into it. It's a really brilliantly set up car in stock form and if your mods aren't very well chosen and balanced out, you'll potentially make it worse without knowing.

I had all sorts of mods in mind when I bought my base M4. But after getting used to it, and just making sure it has the software up to date, I've really grown to love it as-is.

I also have an E92 335i with all the common FBO mods (stage 2+ tune), custom exhaust, suspension upgrades including coilovers, so I've been down that road too.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #29
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
Dude, you just got out of college. Buy a home, save some $$ and drive a Honda for a few years.... unless you land a 6 figure job, career. Then, buy a stock M4 and get to know the car for a couple years first you'll be happier in long run IMO
Personally, even though some, probrally most, might call it financially irresponsible, buying an M4 is going to be my first big purchase. Not the smartest, I know, but to me there is value in owning a car like that at such a young age. I've gone so far as to map out a saving schedule in Microsoft Excel for the next 5 years with various different earning scenarios. In the highest earning scenario, I will be able to buy it cash by 2025 and have some money left over. In the lowest earning scenario, I'll have to loan about 20K, but hopefully it won't come to that. Additionally, I've been blessed with a ton of support from my family, and of course I've worked very hard all of my life, and if everything goes right, I should be making high 5 figures my first year out of college (fingers crossed). But you are 100% right, any rational, sane human being would not buy a luxury race car before they buy a house.
My advice would be buy a 2015-2016 under $45k so you don't lose a ton of money on it. Do what you think is smart but this is what I've noticed and the reason why I didn't look into getting a 2018-2020, just got my m4 this year.

M cars don't usually go below a certain price when they get old unless they're really high miles or have an accident history. Buying one from 55-70k would be a lot more expensive in terms of depreciation, just change the lights out if you want it to look modern (headlights 3.5k taillights are 1k). The LCI 2018's versus 2016's aren't going to have a big enough value difference in 2025 to justify spending say 55k+tax on an low mileage 2018-19 m4 instead of 42kish on a 2015-2016 with 30k miles (plus tax on both ends).

Performance wise no big differences between years except comp pack. But you're heavily nodding so doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2022, 01:16 AM   #30
supremacyxi
SupremacyXI
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i, 2021 BMW M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm a college student at ASU, and will be buying an M4 shortly after I graduate. I plan on modifying it... a lot. With that being said, I was wondering which M4 I should buy. A car salesman said I should get a stock M4 if I was going to messing with the engine (pure turbos, tune, CSF intercooler, ect...), and ill probrally end up just getting a regular, stock M4, but I wanted the communities opinion on this. Let me know if you guys think a stock M4 is the right choice for me, or if I should get a CS, or, if I can even find one, a GTS.

Thanks guys!
Forks up 🔱
      09-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #31
slowturbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Here are my pieces of advice:
-If you plan to mod heavily, it doesnt make sense to pay for the most expensive m car, since you are essentially getting rid of the factory "mods."
-Maintenance is key to keeping these cars healthy and reliable. If you do not get a car with service records, make sure you budget to replace what needs replacing.
-Start slow...these cars are plenty fast out of the box. Balance out your mods between going fast and controlling that speed.

As for the financial advice. Throughout most of my adult life, I have done the right things...saved, planned, budgeted, etc. I ended up spending most of my 20s driving decently cool, albeit newer/reliable forms of transportation. With the exception of my 911 that I got when I was 29, I regret not doing the cool car thing more when I was younger. Now, I'm in my early 30s with a wife and two babies. It's a lot harder to enjoy a sports car (both in terms of time and practicality) and I have other priorities. Max your retirement accounts, have an emergency fund, and get the car you want. You only live once.
DaiLyCS166.50