proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-17-2022, 09:11 PM   #1
chromepantz
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
F80 M3 Autocross Tires

Hey guys!

I finally went to my first autocross yesterday at the Auto Club Speedway @ Fontana, CA, and had an absolute BLAST! Met an M4 owner and got a few ride alongs to get more familiar with the track.

I wanted to try to get some input from you guys as autocross absolutely ATE up my front tires especially and a good portion of my back. The M4 owner mentioned that his tires are usually good for about 1-1.5 years and he does autocross AND tracks.

I have about 12k miles on the front tires but before autocross, they were not even near the wear they are at now. Do you guys think this is due to OEM camber? I think it could also be that the tires overheated and started chunking off as towards the end of the day most people left and I was able to get in quite a few back-to-back runs. I've attached pics below.

I'm on stock suspension with 15mm spacers in the front (none in the rear). Stage 2 BM3 w/ downpipes.

Pleaseee help haha. Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

That is not the result of OEM camber and if anything would be an out of spec toe. An alignment check wouldn’t hurt. Hard to pinpoint the cause, but chunking tires could be from overdriving the tires or just old degraded rubber that have gone through too many heat cycles. Even summer tires that have been driven in below freezing temps one too many times can cause this. As for me I’ve always stop to allow the tires to cool when they start feeling greasy. Worst I get is graining which goes away after driving normally.

Last edited by AlmondJayRoM3; 01-19-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
b5gt28rs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Agree with AlmondJay. They look overheated/over driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromepantz View Post
Hey guys!

I finally went to my first autocross yesterday at the Auto Club Speedway @ Fontana, CA, and had an absolute BLAST! Met an M4 owner and got a few ride alongs to get more familiar with the track.

I wanted to try to get some input from you guys as autocross absolutely ATE up my front tires especially and a good portion of my back. The M4 owner mentioned that his tires are usually good for about 1-1.5 years and he does autocross AND tracks.

I have about 12k miles on the front tires but before autocross, they were not even near the wear they are at now. Do you guys think this is due to OEM camber? I think it could also be that the tires overheated and started chunking off as towards the end of the day most people left and I was able to get in quite a few back-to-back runs. I've attached pics below.

I'm on stock suspension with 15mm spacers in the front (none in the rear). Stage 2 BM3 w/ downpipes.

Pleaseee help haha. Thank you!
That doesn't look like tire chunking to me from like driving over unpaved/bad roads. It looks like it's chunking due to overheated tires. It also looks like you have excessive camber wear, however camber is not adjustable in the front for this car from factory. I find that a bit odd because I have a set of used MPS4s for sale and I am no where near that kind of camber wear or wear at all on my used set.

But it looks like you need another set, and I have a set of MPS4s for sale. I am also not to far from you either since you went to Fontana Speedway.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1889751

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:02 PM   #5
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

OP, it looks like you have inside tire wear on one front tire and outside wear on the other, is this correct? If so you need an alignment bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
chromepantz
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
OP, it looks like you have inside tire wear on one front tire and outside wear on the other, is this correct? If so you need an alignment bad.
hey! It's actually inside wear on both.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
chromepantz
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
That doesn't look like tire chunking to me from like driving over unpaved/bad roads. It looks like it's chunking due to overheated tires. It also looks like you have excessive camber wear, however camber is not adjustable in the front for this car from factory. I find that a bit odd because I have a set of used MPS4s for sale and I am no where near that kind of camber wear or wear at all on my used set.

But it looks like you need another set, and I have a set of MPS4s for sale. I am also not to far from you either since you went to Fontana Speedway.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1889751

damn i would've been interested but i'm currently on 20's
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromepantz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
hey! It's actually inside wear on both.
Congrats on your first autocross! Fontana is a blast!

That's a bad alignment. Perhaps excessive negative toe.

I've done a full day of unlimited autocross runs and Fontana without that bad of a wear. 0front toe, -3.4 negative camber. Get yourself some camber plates and some stickier tires. A052 and RE71R's make excellent autocross tires since they heat up fast for autocross and provide plenty of grip. There are plenty of other options out there that will outperform MPSS or MPS4S.

Check out Adams Motorsports Park and Puretrack (if they ever start running again) which are other good events to gain some seat time. Join us in the tracking section of the forums too! Lots of good information from some seasoned drivers! Most importantly, have fun!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0