GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #23
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Some fun stats, since Sept. 7th '17 when we started archiving flash history BM3 has seen a total of 2510 flash requests of which 128 failed during write for one reason or another. 119 of those successfully recovered by simply repeating the flash and the remaining 9 ended up in the support queue on our support website where we stepped in to help such as with one of the user's in this thread to advise them on getting a battery charger and repeating the process.
Am I the all time leader in failed flash attempt counts?
I'd like to challenge you for that spot haha! I would estimate my first try succes rate to be 20%. More than often I spend +1 hour to flash my car. In the BM3 infancy Dzenan opened a server in Tokyo ONLY to solve my connection problem from China.

Dzenan
Well, China based players you and I should dominate in this area.

You maybe lead in "career total", but I had my highlights where 3 days in a row, everyday it takes 2~3 hours and 6-7 failed attempts to flash through. Oh...and we spoke over phone on that first day So yeah, without you I can't make it. Thank you for being part of record making team!
My "pleasure" Sean
FSociety3810.00
      02-01-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
M335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 n55 IG@FrozenF10

Quote:
Sounds good

Failed flash can happen for any number of reasons and happens regardless of type of connection, wired or wireless. In fact very little to none has to do with the actual connection itself as issues there are detected way before flashing actually kicks off.

At times people with piggyback devices running on OBD can interfere with both diagnostics and flashing, really anything running over OBD. Examples includes aftermarket valve controllers, tunes such as JB4, etc. Packets of data write acknowledgements can/do get lost if other devices are connected/active so make sure any piggyback devices aren't hooked up or active.

Among other things BM3's flash protocol checks battery voltage level as well as total estimated flash time comparing it to estimated discharge time of the battery and only allows the flash to start if all the checks have been checked off (e.g. motor off, ignition on, flash mode on, etc). There are also redundancies in place to recover and retransmit data in case of bad connections, dropped connections (disconnected and/or bad cables), battery on the phone/laptop dying or going to sleep. At times people open the door while flashing (e.g. too hot in the car ) and the vehicle will turn ignition off failing the flash.

We've placed all the warnings to let users know pre-flash but most of us are 'real men' and we all know real men don't read instructions even when they have to

No matter what though, at the end of the day when flashing over OBD you can't end up bricking these DMEs and there's always a way to recover, without pulling the DME out of the car. We've done everything you can imagine during testing in terms of failed flashes to ensure there's always a way to restore the DME back to normal through OBD, as long as your battery has enough charge still.

Flashing checklist:

1) Engine off, driver's side seatbelt on, close doors and don't open while flashing

2) Hit the start button 3x to cycle ignition (on/off) and leave ignition on. Should show gas gauge level when ignition is on

3) Connect with bm3 and flash

4) Do yourself a favor and try to flash in a safe area just in case you end up having an odd issue such as battery charge related or phone/laptop dying etc

Some fun stats, since Sept. 7th '17 when we started archiving flash history BM3 has seen a total of 2510 flash requests of which 128 failed during write for one reason or another. 119 of those successfully recovered by simply repeating the flash and the remaining 9 ended up in the support queue on our support website where we stepped in to help such as with one of the user's in this thread to advise them on getting a battery charger and repeating the process.
Hi, how I can reach you?
I have did tried to call you guys all day long but no one is answering, I did open bootmod3 help center and nothing there...please help me, my car is misfiring with check engine after trying to flash my dme via bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #25
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M335 View Post
Hi, how I can reach you?
I have did tried to call you guys all day long but no one is answering, I did open bootmod3 help center and nothing there...please help me, my car is misfiring with check engine after trying to flash my dme via bootmod3
Hi, sorry we're out with test cars in development today. Unfortunately we don't have a call centre or secretaries to pick up the phone Your car has the N63TU V8 with dual DMEs and you're running a JB4 on the car given your message to us along with a custom file from a third party after which you had an issue. We're reaching back out to you over the support portal to see what may the issue be but misfires are most likely something ignition related (coils or plugs). Chat soon.
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
whoop_ass355.00
      04-20-2018, 04:34 PM   #26
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Help!
Tried installing Stage 1 93 on my M3. Failed everytime towards the end, pop up error saying Failed. I even tried to revert back to stock failed too. Please help...
Appreciate 1
M3_160.00
      04-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #27
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Help!
Tried installing Stage 1 93 on my M3. Failed everytime towards the end, pop up error saying Failed. I even tried to revert back to stock failed too. Please help...
Get in touch with their tech support. You probably had a firewall running or something.

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...tomer/portal/1
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Get in touch with their tech support. You probably had a firewall running or something.

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/servi...tomer/portal/1
Just opened a ticket. Blown I thought it was so easy but I guess not for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #29
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
When it fails at the end it means battery voltage not sufficient 99%
Also firewall or antivirus (Windows issues) please make sure this is disabled

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+with+bootmod3

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #30
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
When it fails at the end it means battery voltage not sufficient 99%
Also firewall or antivirus (Windows issues) please make sure this is disabled

https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...+with+bootmod3
I believe this might be the issue....

Noob question...when putting the charger, do I connect directly on to the terminals on the battery (trunk) or at front (engine bay)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #31
whoop_ass
Captain
Rep
Drives: non

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
I believe this might be the issue....

Noob question...when putting the charger, do I connect directly on to the terminals on the battery (trunk) or at front (engine bay)

Thanks
Makes zero Difference!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 11:55 PM   #32
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoop_ass View Post
Makes zero Difference!
He should prob connect it in the front (safer) / quicker

Appreciate 1
whoop_ass355.00
      04-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #33
SOLIDM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: FAST M4

Quote:
Sounds good

Failed flash can happen for any number of reasons and happens regardless of type of connection, wired or wireless. In fact very little to none has to do with the actual connection itself as issues there are detected way before flashing actually kicks off.

At times people with piggyback devices running on OBD can interfere with both diagnostics and flashing, really anything running over OBD. Examples includes aftermarket valve controllers, tunes such as JB4, etc. Packets of data write acknowledgements can/do get lost if other devices are connected/active so make sure any piggyback devices aren't hooked up or active.

Among other things BM3's flash protocol checks battery voltage level as well as total estimated flash time comparing it to estimated discharge time of the battery and only allows the flash to start if all the checks have been checked off (e.g. motor off, ignition on, flash mode on, etc). There are also redundancies in place to recover and retransmit data in case of bad connections, dropped connections (disconnected and/or bad cables), battery on the phone/laptop dying or going to sleep. At times people open the door while flashing (e.g. too hot in the car ) and the vehicle will turn ignition off failing the flash.

We've placed all the warnings to let users know pre-flash but most of us are 'real men' and we all know real men don't read instructions even when they have to

No matter what though, at the end of the day when flashing over OBD you can't end up bricking these DMEs and there's always a way to recover, without pulling the DME out of the car. We've done everything you can imagine during testing in terms of failed flashes to ensure there's always a way to restore the DME back to normal through OBD, as long as your battery has enough charge still.

Flashing checklist:

1) Engine off, driver's side seatbelt on, close doors and don't open while flashing

2) Hit the start button 3x to cycle ignition (on/off) and leave ignition on. Should show gas gauge level when ignition is on

4) Do yourself a favor and try to flash in a safe area just in case you end up having an odd issue such as battery charge related or phone/laptop dying etc

Yea My GTS Transmission Flash Failed today, but I did it again, but it told me something about sending it to the cloud, etc, ( can't remember the message, but it looks like it when ok. how do I check and see if the GTS trans flash when ok ? is there any way, because I couldn., find it ./
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #34
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Sounds good

Flashing checklist:

Its a fabulous platform with fabulous Customer Service.Well done.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #35
JonCNY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDM4 View Post
Quote:
Sounds good

Flashing checklist:

Yea My GTS Transmission Flash Failed today, but I did it again, but it told me something about sending it to the cloud, etc, ( can't remember the message, but it looks like it when ok. how do I check and see if the GTS trans flash when ok ? is there any way, because I couldn., find it ./
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDM4 View Post
Quote:
Sounds good

Flashing checklist:

I'm having the same issues, how did you get it fixed? Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 06:45 AM   #36
rmustafa11
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hey everyone. Any ideas as to why there is no dme com after flashing a tune? I tried like 6 different ENET cables but maybe they are all trash? I really hope I didn't brick the dme
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #37
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmustafa11 View Post
Hey everyone. Any ideas as to why there is no dme com after flashing a tune? I tried like 6 different ENET cables but maybe they are all trash? I really hope I didn't brick the dme
I'm sorry but you posted this same question in 5 different threads with hardly any detail. Please read through all 5 threads entirely and then provide the relevant details. You will see from reading which details are relevant (battery, cable, adapter, phone/laptop, exactly what you did, etc.)

Please pick one thread to work your problem, or start a new thread specific to yours. We need to keep your info consolidated so others can help.
      12-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #38
JG59
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Tried this. Failed remap and now my car is completely dead and won’t even take a charge. Cant open the trunk to try to reset the battery and the terminals under the hood won’t even take a charge.

Help, please? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:03 AM   #39
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG59 View Post
Tried this. Failed remap and now my car is completely dead and won’t even take a charge. Cant open the trunk to try to reset the battery and the terminals under the hood won’t even take a charge.

Help, please? Thanks!
You have a 2020 M4?
Most likely it required a "Bench Unlock" you clicked Ok in the Ignore Warning and proceeded to flash.

Your only solution is to flash back to stock force option
Shoot over an email to support@protuningfreaks.com

Appreciate 0