Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Erratic front collision sensor

Anyone’s front collision senor gone a little wacky from time to time, meaning on and off without actual cause? Just notice mine today flickered a few time while driving even though I wasn’t close enough to the car ahead to trigger the dashboard light.
      07-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Frontal collision detection is through the windshield-mounted camera, not a sensor. Mine acted up twice recently but it was related to my windshield replacement by the dealer two months ago. The gel BMW uses for mounting the rain sensor was leaking down past the camera and obscuring its view. I also got a "camera view obstructed" warning soon after it acted up while driving.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Frontal collision detection is through the windshield-mounted camera, not a sensor. Mine acted up twice recently but it was related to my windshield replacement by the dealer two months ago. The gel BMW uses for mounting the rain sensor was leaking down past the camera and obscuring its view. I also got a "camera view obstructed" warning soon after it acted up while driving.
I’ll look to see if anything is blocking or leaking over the camera. Thanks! I just ended up turning it off but not happy that I had to. I’ll bring it up at my next service or go in if it starting getting worse.
      07-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
I'll look to see if anything is blocking or leaking over the camera. Thanks! I just ended up turning it off but not happy that I had to. I'll bring it up at my next service or go in if it starting getting worse.
Also, an FYI this happens to us sometimes even when the window is clean. We noticed it a few times and were like WTF? So we started paying closer attention, and we notice that if the car in front of us (that was a bit of a ways ahead) had a sudden speed change (slowing down) it would go off to alert us even if we weren't close if we were at highway speeds. It's almost trying to predict that you may need to brake by calculating your speed and cross referencing it with the person in front's sudden speed change. The other times it has happened were when we were on the highway, no one in front of us, but on a slight curve the car one lane over suddenly braked and drifted close the lane lines closest to us during the braking (but never going over). Again another predictor.

So what we thought were phantoms ended up being its operation. If it wasn't for us paying attention every time it happened and testing it, we would have been like WTF for a while. I have just gotten to the point that I turn it off unless we are on a long drive and I know my attention may be subpar.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Also, an FYI this happens to us sometimes even when the window is clean. We noticed it a few times and were like WTF? So we started paying closer attention, and we notice that if the car in front of us (that was a bit of a ways ahead) had a sudden speed change (slowing down) it would go off to alert us even if we weren't close if we were at highway speeds. It's almost trying to predict that you may need to break my calculating your speed and cross referencing it with the person in front's sudden speed change. The other times it has happened were when we were on the highway, no one in front of us, but on a slight curve the car one lane over suddenly braked and drifted close the lane lines closest to us during the braking (but never going over). Again another predictor.

So what we thought were phantoms ended up being its operation. If it wasn't for us paying attention every time it happened and testing it, we would have been like WTF for a while. I have just gotten to the point that I turn it off unless we are on a long drive and I know my attention may be subpar.
Good information and analysis, makes sense. Got mine turned off too, highway trips sounds like a good place to run all these options. Out of the three warning aids, I’ve narrowed it down to one, just the blindspot aid. The lane depart kind of bugs me too.
      07-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

You can set the sensitivity/proximity to allow the warning to go off further or closer to vehicles you are approaching. I have mine set to the least sensitive setting otherwise i find it too intrusive.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

In Hawaii traffic, the collision camera is spotty on the best of days.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
You can set the sensitivity/proximity to allow the warning to go off further or closer to vehicles you are approaching. I have mine set to the least sensitive setting otherwise i find it too intrusive.
Never knew we had this adjustment, gave it a shot today with the lowest sensitivity setting. Thanks!